2.4 oil leak

Old July 17th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default 2.4 oil leak

I have a 2.4 in a 1998 Stratus with an oil leak. It looks like oil is
leaking from the rear main seal.

The headgasket was replaced with the new MLS version 25,000 miles ago,
so I am pretty much ruling that out.

Can the seal be replaced by just removing the oil pan and rear main
bearing cap, or will the crankshaft have to come out?

Thanks in advance,

-Kirk Matheson

Old July 17th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 2.4 in a 1998 Stratus with an oil leak. It looks like oil is
> leaking from the rear main seal.
>
> The headgasket was replaced with the new MLS version 25,000 miles ago,
> so I am pretty much ruling that out.
>
> Can the seal be replaced by just removing the oil pan and rear main
> bearing cap, or will the crankshaft have to come out?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Kirk Matheson

Neither. If it is the crankshaft seal, the trans will have to come out.
Take a good look at the camshaft sensor located on the left of the cylinder
head (drivers side) and make sure the o-ring that seals the sensor isn't
leaking down that side of the engine. If you aren't sure have an engine oil
dye test performed on it to locate the leak.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 25th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

maxpower wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I have a 2.4 in a 1998 Stratus with an oil leak. It looks like oil is
> > leaking from the rear main seal.
> >
> > The headgasket was replaced with the new MLS version 25,000 miles ago,
> > so I am pretty much ruling that out.
> >
> > Can the seal be replaced by just removing the oil pan and rear main
> > bearing cap, or will the crankshaft have to come out?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > -Kirk Matheson
> >

> Neither. If it is the crankshaft seal, the trans will have to come out.
> Take a good look at the camshaft sensor located on the left of the cylinder
> head (drivers side) and make sure the o-ring that seals the sensor isn't
> leaking down that side of the engine. If you aren't sure have an engine oil
> dye test performed on it to locate the leak.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

I checked the cam sensor. Looks like there is only one for the *front*
cam, and not the rear. Anyway, there does not appear to be any leaks,
so I am guessing it must be the rear oil seal.

So it looks like the transmission must come out, along with the flex
plate. In addition, a special tool is needed to remove and re-install
the one-piece seal. Anything else I should know before finding a place
that can do this for me? I will have them put dye in the oil just to
make sure, before proceeding.

Thanks,

KM

Old July 26th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> maxpower wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > I have a 2.4 in a 1998 Stratus with an oil leak. It looks like oil is
> > > leaking from the rear main seal.
> > >
> > > The headgasket was replaced with the new MLS version 25,000 miles ago,
> > > so I am pretty much ruling that out.
> > >
> > > Can the seal be replaced by just removing the oil pan and rear main
> > > bearing cap, or will the crankshaft have to come out?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > -Kirk Matheson
> > >

> > Neither. If it is the crankshaft seal, the trans will have to come out.
> > Take a good look at the camshaft sensor located on the left of the

cylinder
> > head (drivers side) and make sure the o-ring that seals the sensor isn't
> > leaking down that side of the engine. If you aren't sure have an engine

oil
> > dye test performed on it to locate the leak.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> I checked the cam sensor. Looks like there is only one for the *front*
> cam, and not the rear. Anyway, there does not appear to be any leaks,
> so I am guessing it must be the rear oil seal.
>
> So it looks like the transmission must come out, along with the flex
> plate. In addition, a special tool is needed to remove and re-install
> the one-piece seal. Anything else I should know before finding a place
> that can do this for me? I will have them put dye in the oil just to
> make sure, before proceeding.
>
> Thanks,
>
> KM

Nope that's about it. But a dye test will prevent a shop from guessing at
the leak

Old July 30th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy

make sure the head gasketvisn't leaking at the bac of the head in the corner
closest to the master cylinder
it can look like a main rear seal leak oil dye and a blackj lite will help it
tracing itafter a good bath