2002 Grand Cherokeewipers

Old March 3rd 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 2002 Grand Cherokeewipers

During a recent ice storm my wipers were locked in the ice and could
not free themselves.
After I freed them with the scraper they won't park properly, that is
they don't home at the end of a cycle. I have been told that I need
either a new motor or a control module. My
background with GM cars tells me that I have a bad ground to the motor
but that doesn't seem to apply here. Has anyone had this problem and if
so what is the correct fix.
Thanks in advance, Mike

Old March 3rd 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That is the biggest killer of the control modules and intermittent
modules.

For some strange reason, the modules aren't fused and when the wiper
motor sits under load drawing 20+ amps, it lets the smoke out of them.

My CJ7's is like that and the $tealer want damn near $500.00 for a new
intermittent module. Mine still park though. My module has smoked out
diodes in it. A couple 50 cent parts....

The motor (mine is anyway) is like the GM one I believe with a unique
ground for the brass ring to park the motor. You 'could' have burned a
spot on the brass parking ring so the ground is open and they just stop
when the switch is off. Some solder would fix that up....

I think opening up either the motor or the module is needed to find out
which one when belly up unless there is some code they throw. (unlikely,
but someone here might know)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 3rd 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mike, I just sent him the '02 WJ wiper electrical diagnosis info.
Hopefully he will let us know what he finds.

Old March 3rd 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

the wiper motor has a park switch in it and it's now damaged

Old March 3rd 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Is it an electronic switch or the brass ring to ground type?

Mike

Old March 3rd 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That is a cool sheet. The park is electronic so I would suspect that
let the smoke out. At least it is easy to test.

Mike

Old March 3rd 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Imho, it's a mechanical switch, of the type that only parts rebuilders seem
able to find. :^( I have not had the pleasure of owning this model, but on
other vehicles that I have owned, the fix is a rebuilt wiper motor. Up here
in snow country people flip the blades into the wash position before leaving
a vehicle for the night. If your vehicle manufacturer was short sighted
enough not to include this feature, then three or four replacement wiper
motors will convince almost anybody, even women, to remember to let the
wipers park before shutting off the vehicle.

Earle

Old March 4th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ditto.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 5th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

contact type

Old March 6th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm sorting through the manual that Billy
Ray sent butI may just
order a motor from rockauto.com and hopre that will fix it. I may also
pull the motor and have
our electrician at work test it.