window etch rip-off?

Old April 10th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default window etch rip-off?

Just bought an 06 Miata and the dealer insisted that the etching is
non-negotiable ... at a cost to me of $156! Lo and behold, when I took
delivery there was NO etching on my car at all. Since all the paperwork
was already done, the dealer tried to backpedal and give me 5
certificates for free oil changes in lieu of. I want it off of my loan
balance since I'll be paying the $156. plus 5.8% interest over the next
5 years. I'm working my way up the corporate ladder to get my $156
back. FYI, the salesman claimed I'd get a nice discount back from my
insurance co. because of the etching. Guess how much it came to? $7
bucks a year! Anyone else have a similar tale - and a resolution I can
use?

Old April 11th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I'd try to get them to issue you a check (refund for the exact amount then
deposit it in your account and send the lender a check for that same amount
requesting it go directly toward principle. This should wipe it back off and
is relatively simple. You might mention to the dealer, the things you won't
need to do to embarrass them into doing this if they take quick initiative.

Chris
99BBB

Old April 12th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Reminds me of a deal that I did. I bought my son a new car, and the
slimeball dealer in Vegas wanted to charge me $300 for "VIN Etch". I came
home, went to vinetch.com, and found out that I could get the kit to do it
myself for $30. So, I printed out the page, and took it back to the dealer,
and he just tossed the whole charge. (I hadn't bought the car yet).

They even had a Brooklyn slimeball who tried to tell me that "We charge over
$1000 for it in NY".

A quick link to something that I wrote a LONG time ago:

http://e46fanatics.com/faq/rizzo.html

Old April 12th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"John Smith" > wrote in
:

> A quick link to something that I wrote a LONG time ago:
>
> http://e46fanatics.com/faq/rizzo.html

Basically good information but the dealer will usually offer a better
deal on a car that's in stock (he's paying floorplan interest on it,
the sooner it's gone the less interest he'll have to pay!).

I'd add this:

After figuring out color, options, etc. etc. go to the dealer's website
(most have them now) and search his inventory. If he has your car in
stock or something close enough to it that you'd be happy buying, you
might make a better deal than if he has to order a car.