Radiator fan runs continously

Old January 9th 05, 06:18 AM
sehaare

Default Radiator fan runs continously

1998 V6 SOHC.
I had a problem with engine overheating, replaced the thermostat and problem
appears to be fixed. But while I was working with it I noticed that the
radiator fan is running even when the engine is cold and the A/C is off.

The Haynes manual that I have doesn't have any schematics for the radiator
fan. Any advice?

As always thanks in advance for any help
Steve

Old January 9th 05, 12:56 PM
Big Shoe

The fan on the Explorer is not electric, does not have a motor or any
electrical connection, so no schematic. The fan has a viscous clutch
that allows the fan to pretty much freewheel when cold, but engages
when hot.

Old January 9th 05, 01:57 PM
sehaare

Hey thanks for the info. I looked at the belt routing diagram under the hood
and I didn't see the fan on it so I assumed it was electric. I'll have to go
take a closer look at it today. Does the belt provide the turning force? I
would assume that the fan should not be turning when the car is stationary
and the engine running but cold? What would cause it to turn? Any
disadvantages to it turning when cold (gas mileage comes to mind). How much
could the fan turning un-necessarily affect mileage.

Thanks
Steve

Old January 9th 05, 03:52 PM
Jim Warman

When very cold, the viscosity of the fluid will cause the fan to turn at the
same speed as the water pump shaft. As the fluid warms, it will allow the
fan to freewheel.... it turns, but not as fast as the pump shaft. Since it
is moving very little air at this time, it doesn't add to your fuel
consumption. As the coolant heats, the heated air passing through the
radiator will cause the viscous clutch to apply, driving the fan at close to
the same speed or at the same speed as the pump shaft. Now that it actually
doing work, it will impact the fuel mileage.

There is no way to avoid having the fan turn while it is not actually
pumping air, nor is there any reason not to let it freewheel.

http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/efanmyth.htm

Old January 9th 05, 05:23 PM
Fred 2

You don't see the fan on the belt routing diagram, the diagram shows
the water pump, the fan and pulley is mounted on the water pump

Old January 9th 05, 09:03 PM
sehaare

Thanks to everyone for the help on this. I been convinced that everything is
working fine (or close enough for now).

Thanks again
Steve

Old January 10th 05, 10:41 PM
Xx

The fan I believe always turns, but when needed, the clutch will engage and
speed the fan up.