Seeking additional info abour repairs to a Jeep

Old July 8th 05, 06:54 AM
DougW

Daniel J. Stern did pass the time by typing:
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, DougW wrote:
>
>>> 3) What is an "Induction Flush" how important is it? Is it worth
>>> approx $150 to have done?

>> That's a can-o-cleaner they put into the fuel rail and run through your
>> engine, including running stuff down the throttle body. It cleans out
>> carbon deposits and fuel injectors. Not a bad thing and not
>> unreasonable for the price

> Are you high? There's nothing in that $150 "induction flush" that cannot
> be achieved with a $16 bottle of Chevron Techron or BG 44K.

I'm not high and that $16 bottle of techron has no where near the cleaning
capability of the stuff they feed directly into the rail. I prefer to use
this system though. http://www.motorvac.com/ Average cost is $99 and it
takes about half an hour.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old July 8th 05, 07:53 AM
Will Honea

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:53:10 UTC "Steve W." > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I have been quoted some prices on some potential repairs to my 95 Jeep
> > Wrangler, but being a non-technical owner (I just drive the thing, I
> > don't know how it works) I have a hard time understanding these
> > problems, guaging how important they really are, and guessing whether
> > or not I am getting a decent price.
> >
> > I do trust this particular mechanic, and they are not presenting these
> > problems to me as high-importance must-fix-for-safe-operation

> problems,
> > but I would still appreciate it if some of you knowledgable

> jeep-people
> > could offer your opinions on these:
> >
> > 1) What is a "Rear Main Seal". How important is a leak in one? Is it
> > worth over $400 to fix?

> Rear main seal is the one piece seal that closes the area between the
> engines crankshaft and the engine block. If this is a 4.0 engine this is
> a VERY common problem with them. Leakage there depends on how bad it
> actually is. Put a piece of cardboard or paper under the rear of the
> engine and see what shows up in 24 hours. IF you have a spot on the
> cardboard the size of a dime or smaller don't worry about it for now. If
> it is between a dime and a quarter then if you can spare the vehicle for
> the time required and have the money get it repaired 400.00 is about
> correct since it is a rather involved repair. Especially on a 4X4. If it
> is over a 50 cent piece get it changed out ASAP since you are losing
> quite a bit of oil.
>

> > 2) What is the transmissions "Transfer Case Seal"? How important is a
> > leak in it? Is it worth over $300 to fix?

> About the same as a rear main seal BUT since the transfer case is
> difficult to fill and check it would be a good idea to get it changed
> out if it is leaking more than a drop or two per day. If it is just damp
> around it don't worry about it.
>

> > 3) What is an "Induction Flush" how important is it? Is it worth

> approx
> > $150 to have done?
> >

> 150 would be a bit high for just an injector cleaning, BUT if they are
> doing injector cleaning and top end cleaning then it isn't too bad.

4.0 rear main seal is 2-piece, not one. Tranny does not have to come
off the replace it and it's definitely not a $400 job. Took me 2
hours to change mine - and half od that was getting the old pan gasket
off so the new one would seal. Pay attention to the advice - put a
rag behind the rear of the engine under the valve cover and see if
that's where the "rear main" leak really is. That's a lot more common
than a rear main (mine was over 150k before it really did start to
leak).

--
Will Honea
Old July 8th 05, 02:31 PM
Mike Romain

Stephen Cowell wrote:

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message ...

> > > 3) What is an "Induction Flush" how important is it? Is it worth approx
> > > $150 to have done?
> > >

> > This is a giant bottle of snake oil. You can buy a few small bottles of
> > snake oil at the auto parts store and pour one in with every fill up for the
> > next several weeks.

> Or just use Chevron gasoline... Shell gas also has
> the high-tech additives in it now. This is one service
> you don't need... major boondoggle.
> __
> Steve
> .

I just tried a tank of that Shell 91 octane super crap on a trip and my
engine went insane!

I don't know what is in it, but my manually set up 258 would 'not' run
over 65 mph except on a down hill, I even had to gear down on a couple
long uphill runs, which is unheard of for my rig, even 3rd gear wouldn't
pass 65 mph! (normally 3rd pulls fast up to at least 75 mph)

I also lost about 30% for gas mileage. It made for a long trip home
too.

I finally got it low enough and put in Esso gas and magically my engine
came back alive with it's normal tire chirp off a fast start and top end
power restored.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old July 8th 05, 08:30 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Mike,
Might put a pressure gauge on your fuel line and see what it is at
full speed. I'm betting zero as it may now not be able to keep with the
more gasoline your engine can burn with higher octane.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 8th 05, 09:18 PM
RoyJ

Check it's alcohol content.

Old July 8th 05, 09:40 PM
Mike Romain

I always burn the high octane, it makes almost 100 miles per tank better
mileage with it.

It has to be the additive or maybe the alcohol. My engine runs the same
****ty on petro canada gas with their super cleaner.

Someone mentioned I might be running lean, so last carb kit, I went
slightly richer on the high speed metering rods and tried the Shell
gas. All that got me was a bog if I tromp it too fast.... At least I
can get at that from the top to set it back.

Mike

Old July 8th 05, 09:43 PM
Mike Romain

Could be, but there are two gasses that use that cleaner and my 258 runs
like crap on both of them.

Someone mentioned I might be running lean, so last carb kit I went a
little richer on the high speed metering rods and then tried that Shell
gas. No help, it still won't burn the crap. All I got was a slight bog
if I stomp it too fast with real gas. At least the adjustment is up top
so I only have to open one plate to get it back.

Mike

Old July 8th 05, 10:09 PM
Dave Milne

I think your formulation and ours are different - we get 92 ron "Premium"
and 98 ron "Super". I found that the 98 ron Super gave better mileage but
worked out at the same cost per mile.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old July 8th 05, 10:18 PM
Mike Romain

They are. Ours are some kind of average where 91 or 92 is high test, 89
regular.

For me the performance boost is large and the cost per mile is a bit
better depending on how I am driving it. It costs 10% more almost and I
see more than a 20% mileage boost so....

Alcohol mixes are bad news for my engine and the government is mandating
it. My owners manual even says not to any kind of alcohol mix except in
an emergency as performance may degrade.

Mike

Old July 8th 05, 11:46 PM
Tomes

Here in the states (NJ anyway) we get the averaged 87 for reg, 89 middle
grade and 92 or 93 (depending on brand) for premium or super [2 words for
the same level]. Would I see better mileage in my 2002 TJ with a 4.0 or is
it just an older Jeep thing?
Tomes

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> They are. Ours are some kind of average where 91 or 92 is high test, 89
> regular.
>
> For me the performance boost is large and the cost per mile is a bit
> better depending on how I am driving it. It costs 10% more almost and I
> see more than a 20% mileage boost so....
>
> Alcohol mixes are bad news for my engine and the government is mandating
> it. My owners manual even says not to any kind of alcohol mix except in
> an emergency as performance may degrade.
>
> Mike
>
> Dave Milne wrote:
> >
> > I think your formulation and ours are different - we get 92 ron

"Premium"
> > and 98 ron "Super". I found that the 98 ron Super gave better mileage

but
> > worked out at the same cost per mile.
> >
> > Dave Milne, Scotland
> > '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
> >
> > "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> > > I always burn the high octane, it makes almost 100 miles per tank

better
> > > mileage with it.
> > >
> > > It has to be the additive or maybe the alcohol. My engine runs the

same
> > > ****ty on petro canada gas with their super cleaner.
> > >
> > > Someone mentioned I might be running lean, so last carb kit, I went
> > > slightly richer on the high speed metering rods and tried the Shell
> > > gas. All that got me was a bog if I tromp it too fast.... At least I
> > > can get at that from the top to set it back.
> > >
> > > Mike

at

the

and
> > my

run

couple

> > wouldn't

home

> > engine

top
> > end

Got to love that HEMI. Here is some info on it. In our Dodge and Jeep Scott S. Dodge 0 March 31st 05 10:36 AM
What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 07:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 03:22 PM
Additional repairs when changing timing belt-- advisable? jbourgeois Honda 3 October 29th 04 07:07 PM