Another jurisdiction that likes the "zipper"

Old July 8th 05, 10:01 PM
Ulf

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Ulf wrote:
>

>>>It's completely true. I realized this once seeing semis and box trucks in
>>>the slip lanes of 90/94 became common.

>>"Slip lanes", are we talking tolls here?

> actually the correct term is probably reversibles... there are two lanes
> in the center that are switched in direction. they are supposed to be for
> passenger cars only.

So, what does it matter? As long as they're keeping up with the flow I
don't see the problem.

BTW, had a black M3 trying to squeeze passed me on the inside at a
"zipper merge" today. I would have ignored it if he hadn't been so
blatantly obvious about it. So I got next to him and started steering
towards the center of the lane and he immediately backed off, didn't
even try anything, it was almost too easy... :-)

Ulf
Old July 9th 05, 12:17 AM
Mark

"N8N" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Mark wrote:
> > If you look carefully on the aerial photo, there is a residential street
> > that follows the perimeter of the highway ramp. There are actually two

cars
> > driving on it in the photo. This is the actual Barney Circle, which you

can
> > see feeds both 17th St. into the neighborhood to the north, as well as

onto
> > Pennsylvania Ave. at the west end of the roadway.
> >
> > My obnoxiously large, but sufficiently detailed 1960 Official DC map

shows a
> > quarter circle between 9:00 (K St.) and 12:00 (17th St.), with Pa. Ave

at
> > 10:00, where it ends now. It does not show the circle continuing to the
> > east of 17th St. as it does now (even though it doesn't seem to lead
> > anywhere. Red dashed lines are superimposed to show where the new

freeway
> > portions are proposed/under construction.
> >
> > Why would any jurisdiction issue a highway map that is so big, you would
> > have to get out of your car and spread it out on the ground in order to

be
> > able to read it? This sucker's 3 1/2 wide and 4 1/2 feet long! One

would
> > think it was a wall map, but it is conveniently folded to fit in your

glove
> > compartment.

> Thanks, I think I "get it" now. I guess that's just a mystery for the
> ages, why a feature called "Barney Circle" really is more of a
> semicircle, I guess I was expecting something more like the other
> circles elsewhere in DC. But having grown up near Pittsburgh surely I
> couldn't expect the roads to make perfect sense?
>
> nate

Actually, there are several circles in DC that aren't a complete circle.
Pinehurst Circle, along Western Ave. is only half a circle on the DC side.
The Maryland side has houses, with a curved driveway that poses as the
"rest" of the circle, but there is no street - side note - one of the few
places in the country where people can't leave their house without leaving
the state - Western Ave. is entirely in DC, though the homes it serves on
the north side of the road are in Md. Wisconsin Circle, also on the MD line
at Wisconsin Ave, only connects the small wedge between Wisconsin and
Western Avenues (technically, it's in Maryland, not DC). Columbus Circle,
at Union Station, is a half-circle. Observatory Circle, which would be the
largest circle, if complete, is only about 2/3 of the way around the
observatory. Wesley Circle, off Massachusetts Ave. is more of an oval, and
Mass. Ave. plows right through it to the point that most people don't even
realize it's there. And finally, Hancock Circle isn't a circle at all -
never built at the junction of New Hampshire Ave., 16th and U Streets. Just
a complicated intersection. Granted, most of these, including Barney
Circle, were built (or not built) outside of L'Enfant's original plan, but
they are "circles", just the same.

Old July 9th 05, 12:59 AM
Brent P

In article >, Ulf wrote:
> Brent P wrote:

>>>"Slip lanes", are we talking tolls here?

>> actually the correct term is probably reversibles... there are two lanes
>> in the center that are switched in direction. they are supposed to be for
>> passenger cars only.

> So, what does it matter? As long as they're keeping up with the flow I
> don't see the problem.

They don't. They LLB and allow LLBs to be effective. The turns are too
sharp for them to keep up with the flow as well. They are banned for good
reason.

> BTW, had a black M3 trying to squeeze passed me on the inside at a
> "zipper merge" today. I would have ignored it if he hadn't been so
> blatantly obvious about it. So I got next to him and started steering
> towards the center of the lane and he immediately backed off, didn't
> even try anything, it was almost too easy... :-)

I always find my spot, and do my best to keep anyone from squeezing by.

Old July 9th 05, 12:45 PM
Geoffrey Hatchard

Mark wrote:
> [...]

> the north side of the road are in Md. Wisconsin Circle, also on the MD line
> at Wisconsin Ave, only connects the small wedge between Wisconsin and
> Western Avenues (technically, it's in Maryland, not DC). Columbus Circle,
> at Union Station, is a half-circle. Observatory Circle, which would be the
> largest circle, if complete, is only about 2/3 of the way around the
> observatory. Wesley Circle, off Massachusetts Ave. is more of an oval, and
> Mass. Ave. plows right through it to the point that most people don't even
> realize it's there. And finally, Hancock Circle isn't a circle at all -
> never built at the junction of New Hampshire Ave., 16th and U Streets. Just
> a complicated intersection. Granted, most of these, including Barney
> Circle, were built (or not built) outside of L'Enfant's original plan, but

A friend of mine just bought a historic Rand McNally map of the central
District a few weeks ago that shows Hancock Circle. I never knew that
it wasn't completed, guess RMcN must have jumped the gun in showing that
one.

Speaking of our circles, did you know about Truxton Circle, which used
to be at the intersection of Florida, North Capitol, Lincoln, and Q?

--
All the best,
Geoff
Old July 11th 05, 05:31 PM
Mark

Can't say that I have. Doesn't show on any maps I have, including my 1895
Rand McN map that shows Hancock Circle - probably the same or similar to
what your friend bought. Chances are it never existed - maybe proposed, but
never built, like Hancock. The roads don't actually come together in the
same spot like most DC circles (Q Street intersects a little to the north
of Florida Ave.) which makes me think that there probably never would have
been a circle there. I'd be curious to know what map you found it on,
though.

Old July 11th 05, 10:58 PM
Geoffrey Hatchard

Mark wrote:
> Can't say that I have. Doesn't show on any maps I have, including my 1895
> Rand McN map that shows Hancock Circle - probably the same or similar to
> what your friend bought. Chances are it never existed - maybe proposed, but
> never built, like Hancock. The roads don't actually come together in the
> same spot like most DC circles (Q Street intersects a little to the north
> of Florida Ave.) which makes me think that there probably never would have
> been a circle there. I'd be curious to know what map you found it on,
> though.

Your map doesn't show it because the circle was built in 1900 and was
removed in 1947. Luckily, DC North (a neighborhood paper here in town)
just did an article on Truxton Circle this month:

http://www.capitalcommunitynews.com/...romTruxton.cfm

--
All the best,
Geoff