4L V6 and 6 speed auto trans question ???

Old August 17th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
QX

Default 4L V6 and 6 speed auto trans question ???

They are offering a 4 liter V6 mated with a 6 speed auto on the
2008 Town & Country (and Dodge Caravan).
I understand the new unlimited power train warranty applies, but would
like to know if this combination has been used in the past, and if so
how is the reliability? Is it a new engine/tranny combo or have they
used it on some other model?
I keep my cars for at least 10 years, so I'd like to know if there
have been reliability issues over time on this. Just don't want the
hassles of having breakdowns.
Thanks

Old August 18th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lloyd[_2_]

On Aug 17, 8:32 am, QX > wrote:
> They are offering a 4 liter V6 mated with a 6 speed auto on the
> 2008 Town & Country (and Dodge Caravan).
> I understand the new unlimited power train warranty applies, but would
> like to know if this combination has been used in the past, and if so
> how is the reliability? Is it a new engine/tranny combo or have they
> used it on some other model?
> I keep my cars for at least 10 years, so I'd like to know if there
> have been reliability issues over time on this. Just don't want the
> hassles of having breakdowns.
> Thanks

It's on the 2007 Pacifica (base awd and Touring and Limited). As this
is the first year, I doubt there's much reliability data in yet on
it. The engine itself is also on the 2007 Nitro R/T (but in a rwd/
4wd configuration, with a5-sp transmission).

Old August 20th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Lloyd wrote:

> On Aug 17, 8:32 am, QX > wrote:
>
>>They are offering a 4 liter V6 mated with a 6 speed auto on the
>>2008 Town & Country (and Dodge Caravan).
>>I understand the new unlimited power train warranty applies, but would
>>like to know if this combination has been used in the past, and if so
>>how is the reliability? Is it a new engine/tranny combo or have they
>>used it on some other model?
>>I keep my cars for at least 10 years, so I'd like to know if there
>>have been reliability issues over time on this. Just don't want the
>>hassles of having breakdowns.
>>Thanks

> It's on the 2007 Pacifica (base awd and Touring and Limited). As this
> is the first year, I doubt there's much reliability data in yet on
> it. The engine itself is also on the 2007 Nitro R/T (but in a rwd/
> 4wd configuration, with a5-sp transmission).

I'd trust the engine implicitly, though, because its based on the 3.5L
engine architecture. Very solid engine with a GREAT history behind it.
The 4.0 is just a slight enlargement to boost low-RPM torque over the
3.5 for better performance in big vehicles like the minivans and
Pacifica, the horsepower rating is basically unchanged vs the 3.5 HO.