10 to 25% better MPG, with 2 or 3 ounces of Acetone per 10 gals of gas

Old May 7th 07, 02:19 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving
Jeff[_28_]

Default 10 to 25% better MPG, with 2 or 3 ounces of Acetone per 10 gals of gas

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Jeff" > wrote in news:cbu%h.957$LJ3.529@trnddc02:
>

>> "Max" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Acetone is available at autoparts stores, walgreens, walmarts, etc,
>>> and costs only 10 to 15 cents per ounce. Everyone who cares about air
>>> pollution and the high cost of gasoline should know about this.

>> <...>
>>
>>> http://www.lubedev.com/articles/additive.htm

>> I noticed that there were a total of ZERO references in that article.
>>
>> Nail polish remover is acetone.
>>
>> I really doubt that it makes much of a difference in gas mileage.
>>

> Nobody's posted this link yet, so I will:
> <http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns//Archive/2006/January/08.html>

So you think old Tom and Ray of Car Talk have any clue about this?

Let's see: They both went to MIT, one has a DBAand Tom's udnergrad degree is
in chemical engineering. Gee, I guess they should know what they're talking
about.

And they're right about this one.

Jeff

Old May 7th 07, 02:36 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving
Spdloader

"You know I actually studsies IC engine design and thermodynamic principles
many years ago in college........."

"studsies" ???????

...............by retarding sprak and reducing efficency and lower
MPG........
"sprak" ??????? "efficency" ??????

TheSnoMan.com

Bugs Bunny said it best: "What a Maroon"!
Spdloader

Old May 7th 07, 02:36 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving
SnoMan

On Sun, 06 May 2007 20:49:46 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>Ummmm....the friction losses are EXACTLY what go to the cooling system,
>with some no doubt going out the tailpipe.

You are not correct. Fricton goes to heat in block and most of that
heat goes to cooling system (a very small amount is lost to air flow
over engine) and then there is the fricton from shearing the oil which
heats it up too and that goes to cooling system as well with some (a
small amount) being lost in pan to airflow or a greater amount to
airflow if you have a aux external engine oil cooler. The only heat
from this to go out the tail pipe is from the extra fuel burned to
overcome the friction not the heat from the fricton itself. Also a
small fraction of that heat is lost to heating incoming mixture but
this is a very small percentage unless you are running pure alchol and
then the heat loss is a little higher.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old May 7th 07, 02:41 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Sun, 06 May 2007 09:42:20 -0700, Max wrote:

> Acetone is available at autoparts stores, walgreens, walmarts, etc, and
> costs only 10 to 15 cents per ounce. Everyone who cares about air
> pollution and the high cost of gasoline should know about this.

This again?

You try it and let us know how you make out. I gave the van I was going to
try it in away, and the rest of my cars run too well to try Voodoo with...

Old May 7th 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving
SnoMan

On Mon, 7 May 2007 00:33:46 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
wrote:

>Never went anywhere.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's they played with a ceramic engine
that had no active cooling and it was about 50% more efficent (running
40 to 45% efficent on pump gas) but they dropped it because while they
could get the engine to run and last a long time if it was never shut
off and allowed to cool it had issues from constant heat on cool
cycles that a engine sees in a consumers car. The next big step for
gas engine will be direct injection which can in theory increase
efficency 10 to 15%. It should start to become more wide spread by
2010 or so.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old May 7th 07, 02:44 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Mon, 07 May 2007 01:19:06 +0000, Jeff wrote:

> So you think old Tom and Ray of Car Talk have any clue about this?
>
> Let's see: They both went to MIT, one has a DBAand Tom's udnergrad degree
> is in chemical engineering. Gee, I guess they should know what they're
> talking about.
>
> And they're right about this one.
>
> Jeff

Yup. Good Ole Tommy and Ray. Tommy's a PhD.

Old May 7th 07, 03:09 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving
Whitelightning

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 May 2007 09:42:20 -0700, Max wrote:
>
>> Acetone is available at autoparts stores, walgreens, walmarts, etc, and
>> costs only 10 to 15 cents per ounce. Everyone who cares about air
>> pollution and the high cost of gasoline should know about this.

> This again?
>
> You try it and let us know how you make out. I gave the van I was going to
> try it in away, and the rest of my cars run too well to try Voodoo with...

This is soo funny. Years ago in another life time I remember reading long
before I was born how some crank was advertising running on water and
acetone. Henry Ford and Thomas Edison investigated the man's claims. What
they found was detonation was so severe an engine would never last long on
the stuff, and it was also highly corrosive to the fuel system and engine
components. This just goes to show how long crack pots have been trying to
push this **** as a fuel, or fuel additive. It didn't work back in the
early 1900's any better than it works today.
Whitelightning

Old May 7th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default 10 to 25% better MPG, with 2 or 3 ounces of Acetone per 10gals...

There is a woman who lives next door to me,she works for Shell on an off
shore rig,Ram Powell.When she gets home,I will ask her about that oil
stuff.
cuhulin

Old May 7th 07, 04:05 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving
Jeff[_28_]

"Hachiroku ハチ*ク" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 May 2007 01:19:06 +0000, Jeff wrote:
>
>> So you think old Tom and Ray of Car Talk have any clue about this?
>>
>> Let's see: They both went to MIT, one has a DBAand Tom's udnergrad degree
>> is in chemical engineering. Gee, I guess they should know what they're
>> talking about.
>>
>> And they're right about this one.
>>
>> Jeff

> Yup. Good Ole Tommy and Ray. Tommy's a PhD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Talk says it is a DBA. However, MIT says
it's a Ph.D. Guess what? I will go with MIT and say, you're right, it's a
Ph.D.

http://alumweb.mit.edu/opendoor/200301/magliozzi.shtml

They gave the MIT commencement address in 1999, too. I don't think they got
honarary Ph.D.s.

Jeff

Old May 7th 07, 04:10 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving
Jeff[_28_]

"Whitelightning" > wrote in message

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 06 May 2007 09:42:20 -0700, Max wrote:
>>
>>> Acetone is available at autoparts stores, walgreens, walmarts, etc, and
>>> costs only 10 to 15 cents per ounce. Everyone who cares about air
>>> pollution and the high cost of gasoline should know about this.

>> This again?
>>
>> You try it and let us know how you make out. I gave the van I was going
>> try it in away, and the rest of my cars run too well to try Voodoo
>> with...
>>

> This is soo funny. Years ago in another life time I remember reading long
> before I was born how some crank was advertising running on water and
> acetone. Henry Ford and Thomas Edison investigated the man's claims. What
> they found was detonation was so severe an engine would never last long on
> the stuff, and it was also highly corrosive to the fuel system and engine
> components. This just goes to show how long crack pots have been trying
> to push this **** as a fuel, or fuel additive. It didn't work back in the
> early 1900's any better than it works today.
> Whitelightning

For you to get the type of increase they are advertising, a lot of unburned
fuel would have to be leaving the engine. That's just not the case. Fuel is
nearly completely burned.

This reminds me of those tornado things advertised on TV. The ones that
swirl the air and fuel together and work on every engine.

I believe that people who use acetone and those tornado things get better
mileage because they think they will and drive better, with slower
acceleration, letting off the gas when approachign a stop light (instead of
racing up to see who gets to stop first), etc.

Any change in the fuel mileage is from the way people drive with this stuff.

Jeff