recommendations for 5 series year / model - in UK

Old August 30th 06, 06:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Default recommendations for 5 series year / model - in UK

Nick wrote:
> With America being so clean then, what's the problem with the Kyoto
> agreement ?

Ask the President....

Old August 30th 06, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Eisboch[_1_]

"bfd" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article . com>,
>> bfd > wrote:
>> > You guys are lucky to get BMW diesels. If BMW ever offers it here in
>> > the US, I wouldn't hestitate to get one, especially if you can get it
>> > with the sport suspension. After all, once the cars gets kind of old,
>> > you can convert it to "bio-diesel" and drive around smelling like
>> > french fries (or are we still calling it "FREEDOM FRIES.")

>> Not all modern high tech diesels will run on bio diesel without
>> modification.
>>

> That's true, but conversion kits are available and many more will be
> developed as diesels become more readily available. I really like the
> thought of bio-diesel and wished BMW had more offerings in the US.

When the US government started tightening up the emission requirements for
diesels the relatively small market for them in cars and light duty trucks
(in the US) was not worth pursuing. Virtually all European manufacturers
withdrew diesel exports to the US. A good example is the Sprinter
(Mercedes). The little 2.7L, 5 cylinder diesel was used throughout Europe
but did not meet US emission specs. It wasn't until DaimlerChrysler decided
to replace the conventional Dodge van series with the Sprinter that the
numbers made it worthwhile to clean up the emissions on the engine in order
to sell in the US.

Eisboch

Old August 30th 06, 06:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling

By our (European) standards it's not so little...

DAS

---

[...]

Old August 30th 06, 07:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:
> By our (European) standards it's not so little...
>
> "Eisboch" > wrote in message
> >

> [...]
> > (Mercedes). The little 2.7L, 5 cylinder diesel was used throughout Europe

> [...]

Agree. My friend's brother, who lives in Germany, came over and had to
drive my 1990 E34 535i, 5spd, 108K miles. He really enjoyed the torque
and said because of the extreme price of gas in Germany, all of his
cars were 2.0 liters or smaller.

Of course, we Americans believe there's No Replacement for
Displacement, and the bigger the better!

Old August 30th 06, 07:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Nick > wrote:
> With America being so clean then, what's the problem with the Kyoto
> agreement ?

> Serious question - I really would like to know......

'Cause Kyoto is about CO2 emissions - and thirsty cars do nothing about
this regardless of other emissions. Indeed, a 'cat' may actually increase
CO2 emissions.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 30th 06, 07:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Eisboch[_1_]

"bfd" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Dori A Schmetterling wrote:
>> By our (European) standards it's not so little...
>>
>> "Eisboch" > wrote in message
>> >

>> [...]
>> > (Mercedes). The little 2.7L, 5 cylinder diesel was used throughout
>> > Europe

>> [...]

> Agree. My friend's brother, who lives in Germany, came over and had to
> drive my 1990 E34 535i, 5spd, 108K miles. He really enjoyed the torque
> and said because of the extreme price of gas in Germany, all of his
> cars were 2.0 liters or smaller.
>
> Of course, we Americans believe there's No Replacement for
> Displacement, and the bigger the better!

We have a RV conversion that is built on the 158" wheelbase Sprinter
chassis. I am simply amazed at how well the Mercedes 154 hp diesel
performs. We recently took a 1400 mile trip towing a light cargo trailer
with it. It had no problem maintaining 65-70 mph on the highway, up and
down hills, and delivered 17 mpg, even pulling the trailer. Very
impressive.

Eisboch

Old August 30th 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
daytripper

On 30 Aug 2006 10:00:52 -0700, "bfd" > wrote:

>Nick wrote:
>> With America being so clean then, what's the problem with the Kyoto
>> agreement ?
>>

>Ask the President....

....and you'll get a blank stare, at best.

The person to ask is the Vice President...and I think we know who's been
buttering his bread all these years....

/daytripper (only two more years of those two nitwits. thank god herself!)
Old August 30th 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling

Indeed. Sign of complete combustion. Daft measure of pollution (and for
car road taxation in UK) IMO.

DAS

---

[...]

Old August 30th 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling

I'm not...:-)

Of course it 'ain't no 6-litre 600 hp engine' but it does the job.

I rent cars with turbo-diesel engines of around 2 l -- always impressive
'pull'.

DAS

---

[...]

Old September 6th 06, 06:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

bfd wrote:

> However, its my understanding that in either 2007 or 08, the US will be
> going to something called ultra clean diesel fuel and BMW is suppose to
> bring in the highly praised 535d.

ULSD day in the USA is October 1.

80% of the diesel available must be ULSD except in California where it
is 100%.

Fireworks and excessive consiousness modification would be appropriate.

There are automotitve experts here who could help you -- PLEASE STATE MAKE, YEAR & MODEL OF VEHICLE! Don Technology 12 June 17th 06 05:17 AM
HONDA VEHICLES WIN CAR, TRUCK OF THE YEAR (09-January-2006) Scott Honda 1 January 14th 06 12:50 PM
Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
320d - year 2000 model Tim BMW 1 January 20th 05 05:14 PM
new 2005 model 3 series touring Dell Thornley BMW 0 October 10th 04 11:07 AM