PLAGIARIST LIST

Old June 21st 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default PLAGIARIST LIST

Regardless of where you are reading this, I post my comments on the
rec.autos.tech newsgroup....ONLY.

I have discovered that autoforums.com and talkaboutautos.com are two of
what I suspect is many forums that are plagiarizing material from this
newsgroup.

I am curious if anybody else knows other forums that are doing the same.

I discovered the talkaboutautos connection in a poster's header.

These forums are selling advertising based on clicks, and they are using
newsgroup material to generate these clicks.

Perhaps, when we discover another plaigiarist, we could click onto their
advertisers and let them know where the content of the forum actually comes
from. The forum doesn't really have the support/traffic it appears to have.

I've never been into talkaboutautos.com before today, but I have been
posted there all along.

Let's build a list of plagiarists, and let their advertisers know what we
know.....

If we build the list here at rec.autos.tech, it will automatically play on
the plagiarist sites, so list them - and perhaps some of their key
advertisers - right here. They'll handle our distribution for us.

PLAGIARIST LIST

• autoforums.com

• talkaboutautos.com - www.trussvillemazda.com/partsstore;
http://www.alldatadiy.com/;
http://www.allautoequip.com/Mazda.ht...azda_MX-6_.php

Old June 21st 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"*" > wrote in message
> Regardless of where you are reading this, I post my comments on the
> rec.autos.tech newsgroup....ONLY.
>
> I have discovered that autoforums.com and talkaboutautos.com are two of
> what I suspect is many forums that are plagiarizing material from this
> newsgroup.
>
> I am curious if anybody else knows other forums that are doing the same.
>
> I discovered the talkaboutautos connection in a poster's header.
>
> These forums are selling advertising based on clicks, and they are using
> newsgroup material to generate these clicks.
>
> Perhaps, when we discover another plaigiarist, we could click onto their
> advertisers and let them know where the content of the forum actually

comes
> from. The forum doesn't really have the support/traffic it appears to

have.

> I've never been into talkaboutautos.com before today, but I have been
> posted there all along.
>
> Let's build a list of plagiarists, and let their advertisers know what we
> know.....
>
> If we build the list here at rec.autos.tech, it will automatically play on
> the plagiarist sites, so list them - and perhaps some of their key
> advertisers - right here. They'll handle our distribution for us.

> PLAGIARIST LIST
>
> • autoforums.com
>

> • talkaboutautos.com - www.trussvillemazda.com/partsstore;
> http://www.alldatadiy.com/;

http://www.allautoequip.com/Mazda.ht...azda_MX-6_.php

Google Groups is another, but plagiarism is not exactly what happens. You
see, the Usenet is a PUBLIC use service and the posts to any news group can
be carried by any number of news servers (even AOL). These new Web Based
GUIs are just another way of offering the news groups to the public. No
rights have been violated. I do agree that their use is a poor way to read
and post to UseNet, and they are often used by clueless web surfers who
have no Idea of what a Use Net is or what it is for, and some of the web
based interfaces do a **** poor job of collecting and distributing the news
groups. This is just another case of the internet being used for financial
gain and in my mind goes in the same box as spamming and phishing.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old June 21st 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Kevin" > wrote in

> These
> new Web Based GUIs are just another way of offering the news groups to
> the public. No rights have been violated. I do agree that their use is
> a poor way to read and post to UseNet, and they are often used by
> clueless web surfers who have no Idea of what a Use Net is or what it
> is for, and some of the web based interfaces do a **** poor job of
> collecting and distributing the news groups.

Not only that, they lard up their own pages with (along with ads) HTML,
smilies, photos, and other detritus. We don't see it here, but they sure do
on their Web interface. It's inefficient and very hard to read, especially
when quoting is turned on.

The way Web interfaces display Usenet content has a tendency to make
posters omit quoting, which can make threads extremely difficult to follow
if a post goes missing, or your server's retention time is short.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 22nd 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:40:03 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®"
> wrote:

>Not only that, they lard up their own pages with (along with ads) HTML,
>smilies, photos, and other detritus. We don't see it here, but they sure do
>on their Web interface. It's inefficient and very hard to read, especially
>when quoting is turned on.

Sounds kinda like Windows, huh? :P

Old June 22nd 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Kevin > wrote in article
<7Bjmg.57914$9c6.46535@dukeread11>...

> "*" > wrote in message
> > Regardless of where you are reading this, I post my comments on the
> > rec.autos.tech newsgroup....ONLY.
> >
> > I have discovered that autoforums.com and talkaboutautos.com are two of
> > what I suspect is many forums that are plagiarizing material from this
> > newsgroup.
> >
> > I am curious if anybody else knows other forums that are doing the

same.

> > I discovered the talkaboutautos connection in a poster's header.
> >
> > These forums are selling advertising based on clicks, and they are

using
> > newsgroup material to generate these clicks.
> >
> > Perhaps, when we discover another plaigiarist, we could click onto

their
> > advertisers and let them know where the content of the forum actually

> comes
> > from. The forum doesn't really have the support/traffic it appears to

> have.
> >
> > I've never been into talkaboutautos.com before today, but I have been
> > posted there all along.
> >
> > Let's build a list of plagiarists, and let their advertisers know what

we
> > know.....
> >
> > If we build the list here at rec.autos.tech, it will automatically play

on
> > the plagiarist sites, so list them - and perhaps some of their key
> > advertisers - right here. They'll handle our distribution for us.

> > PLAGIARIST LIST
> >
> > • autoforums.com
> >

> > • talkaboutautos.com - www.trussvillemazda.com/partsstore;
> > http://www.alldatadiy.com/;

http://www.allautoequip.com/Mazda.ht...azda_MX-6_.php

> Google Groups is another, but plagiarism is not exactly what happens. You
> see, the Usenet is a PUBLIC use service and the posts to any news group

can
> be carried by any number of news servers (even AOL). These new Web Based
> GUIs are just another way of offering the news groups to the public. No
> rights have been violated. I do agree that their use is a poor way to

read
> and post to UseNet, and they are often used by clueless web surfers who
> have no Idea of what a Use Net is or what it is for, and some of the web
> based interfaces do a **** poor job of collecting and distributing the

news
> groups. This is just another case of the internet being used for

financial
> gain and in my mind goes in the same box as spamming and phishing.
> --
> Kevin Mouton
> Automotive Technology Instructor
> "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
> Red Green

What I find so onerous is the fact that any perceived attempt at
advertising here on rec.autos.tech is jumped upon by the self-appointed
'net cops, yet our thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, etc. are the
base for someone else making a profit from advertising.

I've got to believe that slipping a little ad into one's sig has much more
value than the exposure on the usenet.

Due to publishing contracts, I am not allowed to offer ANY automotive
advice under my own name. Others own my name in that context.

Were it not for that, I might consider developing a sig with a tag-line
message to take advantage of the many places my stuff seems to be
published.

"Call on us for all your "*****" needs in the Northeast...."
Old June 23rd 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

* wrote:
> [...]

> > my mind goes in the same box as spamming and phishing. --
> > Kevin Mouton
> > Automotive Technology Instructor
> > "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least
> > find you handy" Red Green
> >

> What I find so onerous is the fact that any perceived
> attempt at advertising here on rec.autos.tech is jumped
> upon by the self-appointed 'net cops, yet our thoughts,
> comments, ideas, suggestions, etc. are the base for someone
> else making a profit from advertising.
>
> I've got to believe that slipping a little ad into one's
> sig has much more value than the exposure on the usenet.
>
> Due to publishing contracts, I am not allowed to offer ANY
> automotive advice under my own name. Others own my name in
> that context.
>
> Were it not for that, I might consider developing a sig
> with a tag-line message to take advantage of the many

The ONLY way to keep your INFO from being used by ANYONE for ANY
purpose, is to NOT POST IT. It's elementary, rudimentary, and
not illegal to use any publicly available information in any way
one wishes to, the same as it's no indication that what YOU post
is actually YOURS and not gleaned from any other person's
education, experience, or properties, intellectual or otherwise,
regardless of your claims. You cannot even copyright or
trademark anything publicly and in a venue such as this and make
it stick that this was the source it was stolen from. It's just
like most spam: It's not illegal either.
What you want is a moderated, controlled, private forum to
post in. There are such things but they're not nearly as useful
as a group like this is.

Personally, any advice I give is actually meant to be (assuming
I'm accurate, and if I'm not, it's usually pointed out) dispersed
as widely as possible to the largest audience possible. I don't
post about my perpetual motion machine successes here because I
obviously don't want the world to know about them yet. But, I'll
post about the neat way I found to put my little finger over the
gizmo to make the whatsit do the other noisy thingies; that I
want the world to enjoy.

It's perception vs reality. Perception is often wrong, but
perception IS reality to the perceiver.

Pop

Pop

Old June 24th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Well said, Pop.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Create a Mailing list and be Blessed with $200,000+, If not please Delete This [email protected] Ford Mustang 2 July 1st 05 09:57 PM
Create a Mailing list and you could be Blessed with $200,000+, If not please Delete This [email protected] VW air cooled 0 June 30th 05 01:35 AM
FAQ for this newsgroup Dima BMW 5 May 11th 05 10:19 PM
Turn $12 into thousands in CASH qbjf Driving 0 May 3rd 05 02:44 PM