Max Tire size for Stock 1987 fullsize chevy pickup

Old August 17th 04, 04:53 AM
Wit

Default Max Tire size for Stock 1987 fullsize chevy pickup

I have an 87 Chevy Silverado that I am doing a little playing with. I
need new tires and I like the stock stance (right now because of $$$).
Can someone tell me the Max size tire I could get without any lift? I
know I can go larger than stock without rubbing but I am not sure how
big.

Thanks,
Wit
Old August 18th 04, 03:53 PM
Matt Mead

(Wit) wrote:

>> >I have an 87 Chevy Silverado that I am doing a little playing with. I
>> >need new tires and I like the stock stance (right now because of $$$).
>> >Can someone tell me the Max size tire I could get without any lift? I
>> >know I can go larger than stock without rubbing but I am not sure how
>> >big.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Wit

>> 87, that is the last year of the live axle front end, right? If so, I
>> recall 31x10.50s fit with no mods and 33x12.50s will fit with slight
>> and easy fender trimming.
>>
>> Matt
>> 99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x

>It has a solid front axle with lockout hubs. I know the stock size is
>the 31X10.5. A tire shop suggested 32 and maybe 33. Do you have any
>additional information on the modifications necessary for the 33X12.5?
>Is this a trimming issue for the inner fenders or the outer?
>thanks,
>Wit

It has been a few years since this info was fresh in my mind, but as I
remember it, you just need to trim the fender lips as they curve
around inside the wheelwell down at the bottom where the tire is
widest. (I'm talking the outer fender, but where it curves to the
inside.) After the mod is done, all looks stock from the outside.

I didn't mention wheel size before and I don't remember for sure if
the 33x12.50 will fit if using a 10" wide rim. I'm thinking it won't
without additional hacking that will show from the outside. I'd go
with an 8" rim to be safe unless the tire shop is willing to mount up
a 10" for testing with no obligation to buy.

Remember too that not all 33s are the same diameter and most are
actually less than 33" tall. If you go with a BFG or other radial A/T
or M/T, you should be fine. If you go with something like a Super
Swamper, you will find these tires usually are bigger, and closer to
the actual advertised size.

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Old August 18th 04, 10:42 PM
Wit

(Wit) wrote:

> >> 87, that is the last year of the live axle front end, right? If so, I
> >> recall 31x10.50s fit with no mods and 33x12.50s will fit with slight
> >> and easy fender trimming.
> >>
> >> Matt
> >> 99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x

> >It has a solid front axle with lockout hubs. I know the stock size is
> >the 31X10.5. A tire shop suggested 32 and maybe 33. Do you have any
> >additional information on the modifications necessary for the 33X12.5?
> >Is this a trimming issue for the inner fenders or the outer?
> >thanks,
> >Wit

> It has been a few years since this info was fresh in my mind, but as I
> remember it, you just need to trim the fender lips as they curve
> around inside the wheelwell down at the bottom where the tire is
> widest. (I'm talking the outer fender, but where it curves to the
> inside.) After the mod is done, all looks stock from the outside.
>
> I didn't mention wheel size before and I don't remember for sure if
> the 33x12.50 will fit if using a 10" wide rim. I'm thinking it won't
> without additional hacking that will show from the outside. I'd go
> with an 8" rim to be safe unless the tire shop is willing to mount up
> a 10" for testing with no obligation to buy.
>
> Remember too that not all 33s are the same diameter and most are
> actually less than 33" tall. If you go with a BFG or other radial A/T
> or M/T, you should be fine. If you go with something like a Super
> Swamper, you will find these tires usually are bigger, and closer to
> the actual advertised size.
>
> Matt
> 99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4

I am looking at the BFG's all Terrain. I will have to see on the wheel
sizes. Didnt think about that. anything else you can think of pass on!

Thanks,
Wit
Old August 19th 04, 04:32 AM
Carl Saiyed

I have a set of 31" BFG all terrain T/As on my 80 RamCharger. They did
not rub at stock hieght. They are good on trails and dirt, but are not
very good in the deep mud. (over about 2 feet deep).

HTH

Carl

om...

(Wit) wrote:

with. I

$$$).

Old August 19th 04, 06:11 AM
Matt Mead

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:32:22 -0700, "Carl Saiyed"
> wrote:

>I have a set of 31" BFG all terrain T/As on my 80 RamCharger. They did
>not rub at stock hieght. They are good on trails and dirt, but are not
>very good in the deep mud. (over about 2 feet deep).

FYI, I ran a set of 32x11.50s on 7" rims on my stock 84 Ram Charger
w/no rubbing. Tires were Sears brand, but were actually a Michelin
A/T. (Tires/wheels had been on my lifted Samurai until I sold it.)

I ran the 31" BFG A/Ts on a 94 Mazda Extended Cab 4x4 (stock w/minor
trimming of plastic fender) and found them to be great in the snow.
Didn't really have opportunity to use them in the mud.

Old August 19th 04, 06:39 PM
Default User

Carl Saiyed wrote:

> I have a set of 31" BFG all terrain T/As on my 80 RamCharger. They did
> not rub at stock hieght. They are good on trails and dirt, but are not
> very good in the deep mud. (over about 2 feet deep).

I ran 31x10.50 tires on my 80 Blazer and 87 Bronco without trouble. I
have that size Michelins on my current 95 Bronco and get very slight
rubbing on the fronts when the wheels are cranked at low speeds (like
parking) but I think that's due to some plastic mudguards the previous
owner installed.