Radio Removal E39

Old January 21st 06, 04:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Radio Removal E39

"Toby Thornton" > wrote in message
> Hi - I hope someone can help me remove the radio/headunit from my 5
> series.
>
> I've found a load of messages in various places about removing the
> radio/headunit/mid from an E39, but the descriptions all seem to be
> different to my unit. People say to remove volume knob and then insert &
> turn screwdriver in hole just to right of spindle to release just the
> lower
> part of the unit (MID I think). Problem is that I have a hole above the
> spindle and the radio/headunit is definately all in one piece (I've seen
> an
> identical one on ebay which shows it's all one unit:
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E39-5-Seri...QQcmdZViewItem).
> I can insert a screwdriver into the hole and turn it, but pulling the
> whole
> unit like mad still doesn't release it.
>
> I'm from the UK, so maybe it's the difference between UK/US headunits
> that's
> my problem?
>
> I obviously don't want to break it, but am I just not pulling hard enough?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Toby
> ----
> 2001 530 Touring

Toby,

The TIS for this model includes the following instructions:

- Remove knob from volume control.
- Insert screwdriver (5.5) into slot (*) approx. 1 mm and turn 90 degrees.
- Hook special tool (**) into cassette socket and pull out radio.

(5.5) mm blade size?
(*) this is the slot shown in your second photo, above the spindle.
(**) this is a large hooked piece of (probably) plastic that gives you
something to pull on. Perhaps a couple of smooth-bladed knives, either side
of the unit, would be OK to lever it out.

Hope this helps.
Chris.

Old January 21st 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks Chris - now I have confirmation that the only latch is released by
the screwdriver in the hole trick, I'm sure I can jemmy it out somehow.

&

Old January 22nd 06, 11:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Toby Thornton wrote:
> Thanks Chris - now I have confirmation that the only latch is released by
> the screwdriver in the hole trick, I'm sure I can jemmy it out somehow.

Just stick your fingers inside the cassette hole to grab the deck and
pull it out (after releasing the latch)

--
-Fred W

Radio removal A4 Bear Audi 10 July 1st 09 10:23 PM
BMW 5 series (E39) business radio removal TrueBlue BMW 5 June 20th 05 02:30 PM
Mazda Protogege Radio Removal [email protected] Technology 9 February 18th 05 04:15 AM
2004 TJ Radio Removal? Intergate Jeep 2 February 10th 05 01:52 AM
99 Gr Voyager Radio Removal Problem [email protected] Chrysler 1 January 26th 05 06:05 PM