2002 Explorer codes?

Old September 21st 05, 12:11 AM
Kristi

Default 2002 Explorer codes?

The "Service Engine Soon" light just came on in my 2002 Explorer XLS. Isn't
there some way to make the actual code display by . . . oh, I don't know . .
.. turning the key a certain number of times while it's turned off or
something like that? I just know there is SOME WAY to do this. I'm hoping
it's just time for an oil change (actually, I know it's time for an oil
change, but I'm hoping that's all the problem is . . .).

After I (hopefully) get the code, where can I find out what that code means?

Please help, all you people who know about this sort of thing! I'm
clueless! I admit it!

--
-- Kristi

Old September 21st 05, 12:51 AM
Jim Warman

A scan tool is required.... Some auto parts outlets will scan for codes for
free. They will try to sell parts to you.... avoid this urge and post the
exact code(s) retrieved back here. someone will apply common sense to your
concern and do their best to keep you from spending money needlessly.

"Kristi" > wrote in message
> The "Service Engine Soon" light just came on in my 2002 Explorer XLS.

Isn't
> there some way to make the actual code display by . . . oh, I don't know .

..

Old September 21st 05, 01:00 AM
Kristi

Thank you SO much.

I'm a little worried, though, because it's about 25 miles to the nearest
auto parts store and I won't be able to get there until after work tomorrow.
That means a two-mile trip to work, a two-mile trip home, a 25 mile trip to
the store, and then a 25 mile trip back to post so that y'all can help me
figure out what's wrong . . .

Is that o.k.? I mean, it's just the "service engine soon" light, not the
"your vehicle is about to explode" light, but . . . ???

--
--Kristi

Old September 21st 05, 01:13 AM
Happy Traveler

Starting in model year 1996, any vehicle sold in the US (and some other
countries) is 'OBD2' compliant. This, unfortunately means that you need to
access the computer in your vehicle with a scanner or at least an 'OBD2 code
reader' to retrieve trouble codes. Simple code readers are sold in auto
stores for perhaps as low as $100 (make sure that your vehicle is listed if
you are buying one). Also, the Autozone chain is known to read codes as a
free service (perhaps except in California). The real problem, though, is
not how to read the codes, but what to do next. The codes by themselves give
some clues, but don't trust anyone who tells you "if it's such and such
number, than you have to replace such and such part".
One exception, which is most likely in your user manual: the code for 'gross
evaporative leak' (don't remember the number off the top of my head) means
that gasoline vapors are escaping from the tank. The most common reason is
simply forgetting to tighten the gas cap after refueling. So before you
spend the big bucks, make sure that your gas cap is in good shape and
screwed on tightly. If that was the problem, the light will go out on its
own after a few drive cycles.

And by the way: no, the check engine light does not turn on just because
it's been so many miles since the last oil change. There is a real problem
that you need to address.

Old September 21st 05, 01:38 AM
Kristi

"Happy Traveler" > wrote in message

[snip content]

Thank you very much for your response. I've re-tightened my gas cap, but I
haven't refueled in several days.

<sigh> I was SO hoping it was something simple, like an oil change . . . I
mean, "service engine soon"? I don't know what else to do for it, other
than take it some tea or something . . .

--
--Kristi

Old September 21st 05, 05:23 AM
Jim Warman

If there aren't any major running concerns you "should" be OK.... There's a
lot of people out there that continue to drive for months before having
things attended to (not something particualarly good for the environment or
vehicle). Better to have the concern "researched" (if one can call AutoZone
research) than to just continue operating the vehicle.

Old September 21st 05, 08:41 PM
Red

Kristy,

If the light is on constantly, it's probably not a serious problem. If
the light is blinking, then it's more serious. At least that's what the
book for my 98 Explorer says.

If the problem was the gas cap, you need to drive the car 3 times for
at least half an hour each time ( it's thoroughly warmed up by then),
then the light should go out.

I'm a gadget guy 8*)
When my check engine light recently came on, I picked up a scan tool
for less than 50 bucks on Ebay, it was really easy to use and I was
able to read and then erase the code, and the warning light has been
off ever since. If the problem persists, the light will come right back
on immediately.

Good luck!

Red

Old September 24th 05, 11:23 PM
Bill Jeffrey

Jim Warman wrote:

> If there aren't any major running concerns you "should" be OK.... There's a
> lot of people out there that continue to drive for months before having
> things attended to (not something particualarly good for the environment or
> vehicle). Better to have the concern "researched" (if one can call AutoZone
> research) than to just continue operating the vehicle.

I'm in the middle of this problem myself on my 2002 V-8. Like a good
boy, I took the vehicle to a dealer, 35 miles away, who of course
couldn't trouble-shoot it on the spot so my wife had to come along in a
second car to get me home. Dealer called me next day, said that the
code was something like P041 = BAD DPFE SENSOR, so they replaced the
sensor. I drove up the next day (again witrh my wife and a second car),
retrieved the vehicle, drove it home - and the light came on again the
next day.

Called the dealer, they said they might have gotten a "bad sensor", so I
had to bring it back and leave it - again using a second car. Next day,
the dealer called, "Yup, bad sensor, so we replaced it again at no cost
to you." So I drove up again, again in my second car, and retrived the
vehicle. Got it home, and guess what? Next day the light came on
again. They want me to bring it back again.

I'm losing faith. But I'm in for over $100, not counting gas for all
those extra trips - and with gas a $3+ a gallon, that adds up. And of
course the dealer isn't simply going to hand that back money to me.

There are at least two lessons here. First, as someone noted, simply
reading the code doesn't tell you what to do. Second, doing your
"research" at AutoZone isn't necessarily worse than paying your dealer
to do it.

Bill
Old September 25th 05, 12:24 AM
Happy Traveler

Jim may disagree, but in many cases the owner's troubleshooting could be
more effective than the dealer's. Our tools are not be as sophisticated, but
it's our vehicle... And the owner can typically afford to spend 'as long as
it takes', while the dealer's mechanic has a book telling him how long he is
supposed to spend on any given task, and six more cars waiting for his
attention. Not to mention a boss...

P0401 does not mean 'Bad DPFE'. It stands for 'Insufficient EGR Flow'. The
manual lists 17 (!) possible causes for that code to turn up. Even if they
did sloppy troubleshooting work and unnecessarily replaced a part, it's
still totally irresponsible to send you home without even checking that the
problem was fixed. Or, they might have fixed the P0401 and ignored
additional codes. Nobody said that you only have one problem. Perhaps they
assumed that the reason your CEL is back on is the old P0401, and neglected
to rescan... over and over again.

One way or another, it's time to move to the independent across the
street -- troubleshooting an EGR system is not rocket science! A letter to
the dealership's general manager, explaining where you are going to buy and
service your next vehicle couldn't hurt either. What makes the economy going
(assuming that you live in some western democracy) is competition.

Or, if you are so inclined, spend a few bucks on books and basic tools,
invest some time, and do it yourself. You will be amazed how much you learn
in the process.

Good Luck

Old October 2nd 05, 06:38 AM
Kristi

O.K., I finally have both the codes from the kind people at Autozone AND my
internet working . . .

Two codes showed up: P1400 and P1405.

The best they could tell me was that it had something to do with the
emissions system, but that it's vehicle-specific.

????

Thanks for your help!

--
--Kristi