Whining Chinese Fan Clutch on '91

Old September 6th 05, 04:42 PM
Ulysses

Default Whining Chinese Fan Clutch on '91

I just replaced my fan clutch on my '91 XLT (4.0 V6 EFI) with one that I got
from Auto Zone's online store. It looks exactly like the OEM Ford part but
it makes a loud whining noise when I accelerate. It says "Made in China."
The description was "heavy duty for fast revving engines" or something to
that effect. Since the fan clutches are thermostatically controlled I
expect it to engage when the engine is hot and disengage when it cools off
some. I'm not certain but it seems to engage when the engine is running
faster and disengages when it's running slower. Is there some way to test
this thing to make sure it's working right? It feels tighter than the old
one which rotated easily when the engine was hot and off. The new clutch
*seems* to be working great as my overheating problem is gone and the
cooling systems seems to be operating exactly like it should, but the fan is
rather loud and annoying. I also replaced the fan blade recently (before
the new clutch) and it looks exactly like the old fan and I got it from
Ford. It also looks like I put it on the right way. It was not whining
with the old clutch.

I could probably take it back to any Auto Zone store and get one from Ford
if need be. Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks.

Old September 6th 05, 07:40 PM

Ulysses wrote:
The new clutch
> *seems* to be working great as my overheating problem is gone and the
> cooling systems seems to be operating exactly like it should, but the fan is
> rather loud and annoying.

Have you considered the idea that it's making noise because it's
working now? It was likely quieter when it didn't work. ;-)
-Paul

Old September 7th 05, 04:33 PM
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ulysses wrote:
> The new clutch
> > *seems* to be working great as my overheating problem is gone and the
> > cooling systems seems to be operating exactly like it should, but the

fan is
> > rather loud and annoying.

> Have you considered the idea that it's making noise because it's
> working now? It was likely quieter when it didn't work. ;-)
> -Paul

He he. Yea, well I expected it to make some more noise but this is a very
annoying sound. A long time ago when the old one was still working it would
make a loud whooshing sound. This is some kind of "heavy duty for trucks
and SUVs" thing so maybe it's supposed to be louder. I don't know. Maybe
it needs a wear-in period or something.

Old September 8th 05, 12:28 AM
Ashton Crusher

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:33:50 -0700, "Ulysses"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...

>> Ulysses wrote:
>> The new clutch
>> > *seems* to be working great as my overheating problem is gone and the
>> > cooling systems seems to be operating exactly like it should, but the

>fan is
>> > rather loud and annoying.

>> Have you considered the idea that it's making noise because it's
>> working now? It was likely quieter when it didn't work. ;-)
>> -Paul
>>

>He he. Yea, well I expected it to make some more noise but this is a very
>annoying sound. A long time ago when the old one was still working it would
>make a loud whooshing sound. This is some kind of "heavy duty for trucks
>and SUVs" thing so maybe it's supposed to be louder. I don't know. Maybe
>it needs a wear-in period or something.

That's what I'm thinking. It will either "wear in" or you'll have
"gotten used to it" and either way problem solved!
Old September 8th 05, 02:42 AM
Ulysses

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:33:50 -0700, "Ulysses"
> > wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >>
> >> Ulysses wrote:
> >> The new clutch

> >fan is
> >>
> >> Have you considered the idea that it's making noise because it's
> >> working now? It was likely quieter when it didn't work. ;-)
> >> -Paul
> >>

> >He he. Yea, well I expected it to make some more noise but this is a

very
> >annoying sound. A long time ago when the old one was still working it

would
> >make a loud whooshing sound. This is some kind of "heavy duty for trucks
> >and SUVs" thing so maybe it's supposed to be louder. I don't know.

Maybe
> >it needs a wear-in period or something.
> >

> That's what I'm thinking. It will either "wear in" or you'll have
> "gotten used to it" and either way problem solved!

Well I gather so far nobody seems to think there's anything wrong with it so
I guess I'll shut up and get onto other more exciting problems ;-)

Old September 8th 05, 02:46 AM
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ulysses wrote:
> The new clutch
> > *seems* to be working great as my overheating problem is gone and the
> > cooling systems seems to be operating exactly like it should, but the

fan is
> > rather loud and annoying.

> Have you considered the idea that it's making noise because it's
> working now? It was likely quieter when it didn't work. ;-)
> -Paul

BTW did you ever get your Explorer? I got a good deal on a '97 4WD. I'm
still keeping the '91 and '92 as long as they are repairable.

Old September 8th 05, 04:27 PM

Ulysses wrote:

> BTW did you ever get your Explorer? I got a good deal on a '97 4WD. I'm
> still keeping the '91 and '92 as long as they are repairable.

I'm getting close. I've passed on some good ones because I didn't like
the color. I started dragging my feet when gas hit $3/gal too. That
seems to be motivating more people to sell. I have my eye on this 98
4D, 4WD:
http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/95258206.html

That's at my upper limit, $6K. I'm hoping they drop their asking price.
Good chance that'll happen.
-Paul

Old September 8th 05, 08:30 PM
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ulysses wrote:
> > >

> > BTW did you ever get your Explorer? I got a good deal on a '97 4WD.

I'm
> > still keeping the '91 and '92 as long as they are repairable.

> I'm getting close. I've passed on some good ones because I didn't like
> the color. I started dragging my feet when gas hit $3/gal too. That
> seems to be motivating more people to sell. I have my eye on this 98
> 4D, 4WD:
> http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/95258206.html
>
> That's at my upper limit, $6K. I'm hoping they drop their asking price.
> Good chance that'll happen.
> -Paul

Personally I think that price is already reasonable if not very good, but
heck, if you can get it for less...

I wouldn't wait for them to lower the price, I'd just offer less before
someone else grabs it.

I bought a '97 LTX with Control Trac 4WD, the color I wanted, power doors
and windows, tilt, cruise, no CD but casette (I never even turn the things
on anyway but the clock is nice to have), 4.0 V6 EFI, four wheel disc
brakes, no sunroof (don't really like em), some of those damn air bags, and
97,000 miles. The thing looks great and I got it from a Ford dealer for
just under $5000. I would have liked leather but was more concerned with
getting the right engine and most of em seem to have the SOHC. I'm pretty
sure I can keep this thing going for another 200,000 miles. I know you
don't like dealers but on mine they replaced the brake pads, changed the
oil, changed the coolant, changed the air filter, apparently charged the AC
(very cold), cleaned it thoroughly, got the smog test, took the stuff to the
DMV, and most likely set the engine to factory specs. They may have done
other things that I have not investigated quite yet. BTW they had several
used Explorers to choose from at this dealer. I got the impression they had
been there for a while too.

I have not made up my mind yet if I like the Control Trac or not. I think I
prefer having complete control over 4WD but it will go up a steep, loose
dirt hill without having to push any buttons or turning any knobs etc. I'm
also not so sure about the torsion bar suspension--sounds like sports car
stuff to me--so we'll just have to see when the road gets muddy. It does
feel more responsive than the old Explorers which could be an advantage
offroad.

BTW I had to have a white one cause my other two are red and blue ;-)

Old September 8th 05, 09:53 PM

Ulysses wrote:

> BTW I had to have a white one cause my other two are red and blue ;-)

Sounds like you got a good deal! White is my first choice too- cool in
hot weather, easy to touch up the paint, safer at night.

The local dealers are doing parking lot sales, one just blocks from my
house, so I did test drive a 96. I verified that I fit comfortably. I'm
6'5", which is why I settled on getting an Explorer- they're roomy.
They wouldn't go below $6400 for that 96, and it was pretty rusty
underneath, so I passed. I was impressed by how clean they got it,
though. It looked like new under the hood. Close inspection revealed
that they had even touched up the paint *under the hood* and painted
the wheel wells black!

-Paul

What now?? (Clutch slave again) Eric Jeep 11 May 29th 05 06:38 AM
Question about soggy clutch TLittle Technology 1 May 10th 05 05:44 PM
Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 02:33 AM
Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6 Matt Lang 4x4 4 January 13th 05 11:40 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM