Brakes squeal!!!!

Old May 30th 05, 06:02 PM
Bill Putney

Dan wrote:
> All:
>
> It turned out to be the shield rubbing the inside of the rotor. Bent it out
> a little and the squeals are gone. did both front shields. As for the other
> questions, yes, I did replace the expander (anti rattle) clips, yes, I did
> re-lube the caliper pins, yes, I did put anti-squeal grease on them. The
> only thing that resolved it was bending out the shield.
>
> Thanks to ALL who gave me ideas to look at.
> Dan

Glad you got it fixed!

BTW - the things that are being called "anti-rattle" clips (I think
that's a misnomer) are one of two types. One type is just a wear
surface between the pads and the rub points on the steering knuckle.
There is also a differenet type that is actually a pad spreader - keeps
a little spring force outward on the pads that helps retract them away
from the rotor. You can use either type, but only one type at a time.
The second type, though shown in the FSM, were not available from DC
until a few months ago - if you ordered them, what you got were the wear
bars. I'm glad they made the retractors avaialable - they are bound to
help in rotor wear and heat (warp).

So which type did you put on? To see photos, look at my third post (the
one with the photos) in this thread on the 300M Club forums:
http://300mclub.100megs42.com/forums...asc&star t=30
The first two photos are of the pad retractors; the second two photos
are of the wear bars.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old May 31st 05, 04:42 AM
Dan

Bill, I did install new Retractor Clips. I got them at my local Dodge shop.
They sell them 4 in a pack. Interesting though, it appears that they are
only used on the front, the rear did not have them.
Again, thanks for your help.
Dan

Old May 31st 05, 05:28 AM
Bill Putney

Dan wrote:

> Bill, I did install new Retractor Clips. I got them at my local Dodge shop.
> They sell them 4 in a pack. Interesting though, it appears that they are
> only used on the front, the rear did not have them.
> Again, thanks for your help.
> Dan

Very good. There never were any for the rears.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old May 31st 05, 08:58 PM
Steve

> Also, if you look back just a few years, GM used exclusively Delco
> Moraine - which was a wholly owned GM subsidiary.Chrysler used almost
> exclusively their own manufacture, with a good mix of Kelsey Hayes
> thrown in in later years.

To my knowledge (and its fairly good...) Chrysler hasn't used a brake
system "of their own manufacture" since AT LEAST 1965, and I'm guessing
more like 1955. It as far as disk brakes go, been 99% K-H since 65, with
a few odd Bendix applications (4-piston front calipers on '67-69
B-bodies and some A-bodies) and Budd (~66 C-bodies and a few others)
over that time.

AMC used Delco Moraine, Bendix, and
> Bendix/Budd hybrids (bendix calipers and Budd rotors)
> And any mechanic who lived through the eighties in North America KNOWS
> Chrysler's reputation at the time for squealing brakes - whether you
> worked for a Chrysler dealer or not.

Bullfeathers. GMs squealed just as much as Chryslers ever did, if not
more. Seems like every GM A-body that drove by me in the 80s (Regals,
Cutlasses, MonteCarlos" were squeaking away.

Front brakes dragging, no rear pressure, all disc [email protected] Technology 6 April 25th 05 08:04 PM
Terrible Squeal Sandra Ries Saturn 10 March 15th 05 02:11 PM
97 Neon's brakes squeak and squeal T-Narg Dodge 2 September 29th 04 04:06 PM
Brakes Lock and Won't Let Go, 94 Grand Voyager - Help before they get me killed. Jim Ashburn Dodge 10 July 22nd 04 02:10 AM