GM thinking of scrapping buick or pontiac division

Old March 24th 05, 03:36 AM
223rem

Default GM thinking of scrapping buick or pontiac division

OGT '92 wrote:

> Dropping the Pontiac marque would be a HUGE mistake for GM.

I cant believe they're considering that. There are a lot of
new GrandAms and GrandPrix on the road, so people are buying
them.
Old March 24th 05, 06:32 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 3/23/2005 8:54 PM, marlinspike wrote:

> "OGT '92" > wrote in message
>
>>The new GTO is nearly perfect.

> Look in the trunk.

What, they forget the trunk monkey?

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old March 24th 05, 12:29 PM
marlinspike

"Garth Almgren" > wrote in message
>> Look in the trunk.

> What, they forget the trunk monkey?

No, there is a gigantic block in the trunk because they didn't want to have
to reorganize things for a US spe gas tank so they just put it in the trunk
and made a box around it. Though, the trunk monkey is an important feature.
In fact, I have it on good authority that trunk monkey racing is working to
get official trunk monkey's produced.

Old March 24th 05, 02:05 PM
Big Bill

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 03:36:51 GMT, 223rem > wrote:

>OGT '92 wrote:
>
>> Dropping the Pontiac marque would be a HUGE mistake for GM.

>I cant believe they're considering that. There are a lot of
>new GrandAms and GrandPrix on the road, so people are buying
>them.

1. Olds sold cars until they shut the doors.
2. Just becasue they are selling cars doesn't mean they are selling
them at a profit.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 24th 05, 03:16 PM
C. E. White

marlinspike wrote:

> "Garth Almgren" > wrote in message
> >> Look in the trunk.

> > What, they forget the trunk monkey?

> No, there is a gigantic block in the trunk because they didn't want to have
> to reorganize things for a US spe gas tank so they just put it in the trunk
> and made a box around it. Though, the trunk monkey is an important feature.
> In fact, I have it on good authority that trunk monkey racing is working to
> get official trunk monkey's produced.

Where is the fuel tank in the Australian version?

Ed
Old March 24th 05, 05:47 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, C. E. White wrote:

> > No, there is a gigantic block in the trunk because they didn't want to
> > have to reorganize things for a US spe gas tank so they just put it in
> > the trunk and made a box around it. Though, the trunk monkey is an
> > important feature. In fact, I have it on good authority that trunk
> > monkey racing is working to get official trunk monkey's produced.

> Where is the fuel tank in the Australian version?

Under the car.
Old March 24th 05, 06:43 PM
C. E. White

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, C. E. White wrote:
>
> > > No, there is a gigantic block in the trunk because they didn't want to
> > > have to reorganize things for a US spe gas tank so they just put it in
> > > the trunk and made a box around it. Though, the trunk monkey is an
> > > important feature. In fact, I have it on good authority that trunk
> > > monkey racing is working to get official trunk monkey's produced.

> > Where is the fuel tank in the Australian version?

> Under the car.

Then they moved it so it would meet US fuel tank integrity
requirements? Is it up high behind the back seat? No change
to the trunk floor to make it deeper where the tank used to
be? I wonder how much it hurt handling?

Ed
Old March 24th 05, 09:57 PM
Garth Almgren

Around 3/24/2005 9:59 AM, Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2005, Komin wrote:
>

>>Brand names Buick + Pontiac should go . Toyota should stay . Buick +
>>Pontiac = brand names with little value . Buick + Pontiac = no future .
>>Toyota = good future brand name .

> Well, then, as a special treat for you after you finish your grammar
> homework and learn how to write a complete sentence, take a look at these
> Japanese-market Toyota Cavaliers:
>
> http://sr.khv.ru/images/racers/raven/548969MLW.jpg
> http://catalogue.carview.co.jp/Meris...iew/v4222a.jpg
> http://www.autobuy.co.nz/car/car_sto...edcarspage.php
> http://japan-car.ru/icar/t0074_1.jpg
> http://www.autobuy.co.nz/car/car_sto...edcarspage.php
> http://www.autobuy.co.nz/car/car_sto...edcarspage.php

My, my. A Cavalier in disguise.

(10 to 1 says that if Consumer Reports rated that car, the rating would
jump as compared to the Chevy version simply because of the Toyota name.)

Old March 24th 05, 10:02 PM
Garth Almgren

Around 3/24/2005 8:36 AM, Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> In article .com>,
> Aunt Judy (Pride of Diarrhea) <http://tinyurl.com/65nqz> says...
>
>>"Performance line"???? You mean criminal line that caters to psycopaths
>>like you that think it's cool to drive fast and reckless and kill
>>innocent people.

> A performance line is one that turns quicker, stops quiker and accelerates
> quicker. There are all very important safety features that make a car safer.
> Unfortunately you are too stupid to figure that out.

Though he'll probably deny it now, Judy once admitted that he understood
that quick acceleration can be beneficial in terms of safety.

Old March 24th 05, 10:30 PM
marlinspike

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> Then they moved it so it would meet US fuel tank integrity
> requirements? Is it up high behind the back seat? No change
> to the trunk floor to make it deeper where the tank used to
> be? I wonder how much it hurt handling?

Yup. In the US version open the trunk and in the left far corner (i.e. left
corner closest to cabin) you a big block of carpeting just sticking out into
the trunk. What they should have done was made the trunk a little less deep
and just put it vertically behind the back seats like Benz has been doing
for decades. It wouldn't dig into the trunk so much since it would be as
wide as the back seats instead of just taking up one corner.
Richard