will my electric fan idea work?

Old January 31st 05, 01:59 PM
Frederick Wilson

Default will my electric fan idea work?

Hello all,

I have a '96 B250 Conversion Van with a new 360. I tow a camper with it
and I found that on warmer days the temp gets mighty high. At highway
speeds when the clutch on the engine driven fan kicks in, I can feel it
sapping engine power which I actually think addeds to the engine heat
problem.

What I am thinking, if I take the engine driven fan off in favor of
electrics. It will not sap engine power and the electric fans can move
air more effiencently when needed especially at idel.

What do you think?
Fred
Old January 31st 05, 02:38 PM
Sharon K.Cooke

The reasons you gave are (part of) why automakers are leaving the
engine-driven fan idea and moving to electric fans. That, and
transverse-mount engines.

Old February 2nd 05, 01:35 AM
James C. Reeves

The engine still needs to generate the electrical energy to run the electric
fan. The benefit is that the electric fan only runs when it needs
to...unlike the engine-driven fan.

Old February 4th 05, 01:03 PM
noname

"I can feel it
sapping engine power which I actually think addeds to the engine heat
problem."

NO it doesn't.
Going down the highway the air from your speed cools the engine.
You need to have the radiator flushed.

Old March 6th 05, 03:31 PM
Frederick Wilson

noname wrote:
> "I can feel it
> sapping engine power which I actually think addeds to the engine heat
> problem."
>
> NO it doesn't.
> Going down the highway the air from your speed cools the engine.
> You need to have the radiator flushed.
>

> "Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I have a '96 B250 Conversion Van with a new 360. I tow a camper with it
>>and I found that on warmer days the temp gets mighty high. At highway
>>speeds when the clutch on the engine driven fan kicks in, I can feel it
>>sapping engine power which I actually think addeds to the engine heat
>>problem.
>>
>>What I am thinking, if I take the engine driven fan off in favor of
>>electrics. It will not sap engine power and the electric fans can move
>>air more effiencently when needed especially at idel.
>>
>>What do you think?
>>Fred

The whole coolent system was flushed and a blockage repaired before I
discovered this problem

Rear Electric Window liam Audi 3 December 6th 04 03:31 PM
ASE Work experience question thongsai General 0 July 9th 04 11:16 PM
EV "boost" half-baked idea Pittsburgh General 7 June 8th 04 09:30 PM
96 Ford Contour Zetec engine - hard to work on? john smith General 0 March 16th 04 11:23 AM
Selling my GEM electric car on eBay! Must sell this week Dex General 0 March 12th 04 07:42 AM