92 Grand Caravan 3.3L, disable rolling lock?

Old January 25th 05, 03:56 PM
Travis Farmer

Default 92 Grand Caravan 3.3L, disable rolling lock?

ok, this will be a summery of what i have already typed as google
messed up and reset the message form.

while driving down the road, the rolling lock feature randomly
activates. a call to Chrysler explained that i could pay $52/hr to have
the computer re-programmed to disable the feature, or i could pull the
power lock fuse. i chose the later for obvious reasons, but i miss the
use of the power locks.

i am wondering if there is a way to disable it myself, such as pulling
a module, cutting a signal wire (specific to the rolling lock feature
of course), or some other method of re-programming the system.

Chrysler refered to a method described in my owners manual, but it was
not there as far as i could see (i scanned the book cover to cover),
though this applied only to a certain year group i think.
I thank you in advance for any and all help with this matter.

~Travis

Old January 25th 05, 11:05 PM
Comboverfish

I'm fairly certain that it's done with a Chrysler DRB or properly
equipped nonfactory scan tool. At least some Chrysler models from that
era were capable of having their rolling locks defeated through a
simple software menu on a scan tool. I'd be interested to find out if
there is a non scantool method to do it but suspect there isn't.

BTW, what do you mean by "while driving down the road, the rolling lock
feature *randomly* activates"? I seem to remember the lock point is
about 13 MPH. Doesn't it always happen once you hit a certain speed?
Toyota MDT in MO

Old January 25th 05, 11:55 PM
maxpower

"Travis Farmer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> ok, this will be a summery of what i have already typed as google
> messed up and reset the message form.
>
> while driving down the road, the rolling lock feature randomly
> activates. a call to Chrysler explained that i could pay $52/hr to have
> the computer re-programmed to disable the feature, or i could pull the
> power lock fuse. i chose the later for obvious reasons, but i miss the
> use of the power locks.
>
> i am wondering if there is a way to disable it myself, such as pulling
> a module, cutting a signal wire (specific to the rolling lock feature
> of course), or some other method of re-programming the system.
>
> Chrysler refered to a method described in my owners manual, but it was
> not there as far as i could see (i scanned the book cover to cover),
> though this applied only to a certain year group i think.
> I thank you in advance for any and all help with this matter.
>
> ~Travis

The way to turn that off is with the scan tool under customer preferences.
If you say it randomly activates you may want to check your door switches,
especially the sliding door. I believe on the newer models customer
preferences is programmable with the igniton key

Old January 26th 05, 01:02 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Comboverfish wrote:

> I'm fairly certain that it's done with a Chrysler DRB or properly
> equipped nonfactory scan tool.

Probably. The later ones have a customer-accessible toggle for the feature
that works this way:

Get in the car and have all the doors unlocked. Put the key in the
ignition and turn the car to the on positionthen back to the off position
4 times. Then depress the lock button on the drivers side. You'll hear a
chime indicating that the command was accepted.

I'm not sure what the first year was for this, though.
Old January 26th 05, 03:12 AM
Comboverfish

>Get in the car and have all the doors unlocked.
>Put the key in the ignition and turn the car to
>the on positionthen back to the off position
>4 times. Then depress the lock button on the
>drivers side. You'll hear a chime indicating that
>the command was accepted.

Thanks for posting the procedure. The last one I changed was on a
first generation Intrepid a couple years ago and that was with a scan
tool.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old January 27th 05, 01:11 PM
Mike

My 96 is customer programmable (key procedure)
My 93 requires a scan tool.
The change was likely at the 2nd to 3rd generation model switch.
On a 92 I don't think there is any way to get around having a scan tool that
can access the correct menu.

ups.com...

Old February 8th 05, 04:46 PM
Travis Farmer

"BTW, what do you mean by "while driving down the road, the rolling
lock
feature *randomly* activates"? I seem to remember the lock point is
about 13 MPH. Doesn't it always happen once you hit a certain speed?
Toyota MDT in MO"

Specificaly, after the initial lock point (the one that is expected),
the lock will randomly lock at any speed and with a random time delay.
best way to describe it would be like a loose wire shorting out on
bumps causing it to trigger randomly, though i have found no loose
wire, and it dose not seem to be in relation to any bumps (does it on
smooth road), though it does not do it when the van is not in motion.

Previous to writing, i have tested all the door sensors for "static"
(poor connection) and the signal on each one is clean.

I would like to note that the chime that normaly sounds when the
rolling lock activates sounds normally on the initial lock, but when
the random locking kicks in, the chime is also random (IOW, in no
direct relation to the locking).

interesting to note that with the power lock fuse pulled, the rolling
lock still tries to activate the relay, but the chime does not sound.
would i be correct in saying the rolling lock system is powered by this
fuse, and that i could disable it by disconecting a wire (or several)
somewhere?

right now it is not of the top-most priority (just a quirk that is
bugging me) as my transmission seems to have failed (lots of fluid from
the bellhousing, no drive in any gear, suspect tranny oil pump). quite
interestingly right after i replaced the water-pump. when it rains, it
pours, right?

~Travis