Fuel filters and water passage...

Old April 18th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Fuel filters and water passage...

Will automotive fuel filters allow water to pass through them?

Old April 18th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

YES

Old April 18th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hugo Schmeisser wrote:

> Will automotive fuel filters allow water to pass through them?

Yes, but often any water that is in the fuel system will be pretty
cruddy and that can plug the filter.

-jim

Old April 18th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

jim wrote:

> Hugo Schmeisser wrote:
> >
> > Will automotive fuel filters allow water to pass through them?

> Yes, but often any water that is in the fuel system will be pretty
> cruddy and that can plug the filter.

The reason I ask is that I've just had a person tell me that fuel
filters have been required by the EPA to have "hydrophobic" coatings
since the 1980s. This was supposedly intended to prevent water from
reaching the upper regions of fuel-injection systems.

Much Googling failed to turn up any confirmation of any such regulation.

Old April 18th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>Will automotive fuel filters allow water to >pass through them?

most likely after they have become fully saturated (wet-out), up to a
point. the
minute

amount of water (condensation) that accumulates in the gas tank -
shouldn't be a problem.

to use an automotive gas filter for long term water filtration should
not be used

for potable water filtering, there is a better method available.

if you have water in the gas tank, there are products on the market when
used for their intended purpose - allows the water

and gasoline to mix - and exhausted through the fuel system. water
accumulating in a gas tank can cause

rusting conditions that lead to problems including gas tank leakage
(pinholes). don't over do the moisture removal thingy.

mho
vƒe

Old April 18th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hugo Schmeisser > wrote:
>jim wrote:
>
>The reason I ask is that I've just had a person tell me that fuel
>filters have been required by the EPA to have "hydrophobic" coatings
>since the 1980s. This was supposedly intended to prevent water from
>reaching the upper regions of fuel-injection systems.

1. I can't imagine such a coating would do any good, since the pressure
across the filter is pretty considerable.

2. I have seen water reaching the upper regions of fuel injection systems
more than once. Surprisingly never saw engine damage from it, though.
But if there were such coatings, they didn't help.

>Much Googling failed to turn up any confirmation of any such regulation.

Why would the EPA even care? The DOT, I could believe.
--scott
Old April 18th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hugo Schmeisser wrote:

> jim wrote:
>

> > Hugo Schmeisser wrote:
> > >
> > > Will automotive fuel filters allow water to pass through them?

> > Yes, but often any water that is in the fuel system will be pretty
> > cruddy and that can plug the filter.
> >

> The reason I ask is that I've just had a person tell me that fuel
> filters have been required by the EPA to have "hydrophobic" coatings
> since the 1980s. This was supposedly intended to prevent water from
> reaching the upper regions of fuel-injection systems.

Problem with that would be where would the water go? It wouldn't take
much to block the flow entirely. There are I believe EPA regulations
that are designed to keep water out of fuel storage tanks. This is
intended to protect underground water caused by rusting at the bottom of
storage tanks. It has the unintended consequence that there is much less
chance of getting water in your fuel than there was 30 years ago.

-jim

Old April 18th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

there are certain gasoline additives that treats gas that has moisture
in it by making the water mixable with gas and is

put through the system as if a combustible.when this happens the engine
should get a "steam cleaning".:--)

s t p might have a product that eradicates water from the gas tank.

there is also speculation that the in-line gas filters on cars will need
to be changed at a greater frequency -

if and when gasoline with ethanol is used, especially until the system
is "cleaned" throughly.

mho
vƒe

Old April 19th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

>There are I believe EPA regulations that >are designed to keep water
out of fuel >storage tanks.
==
water weighs more than gasoline, so it stands to reason that it is going
to be on the bottom of the tank - when the liquid is static.

guys handling gasoline are familiar with the ways to protect gasoline
while it is in their custody.

storage tanks I belive are serviced on a regular basis to help keep the
gasoline - pure.

more than likely the water contamination factor is created over time -
and especially when gas tanks have room for

condensation to happen due to the low volume of gas in the tank, that is
one

reason gas tanks should never be allowed to get too low on gas, and when
water

exists in the tank, get rid of it with additives made for that purpose.

mho
vƒe

Old April 19th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hugo Schmeisser wrote:
> jim wrote:
>

>> Hugo Schmeisser wrote:
>>> Will automotive fuel filters allow water to pass through them?

>> Yes, but often any water that is in the fuel system will be pretty
>> cruddy and that can plug the filter.
>>

> The reason I ask is that I've just had a person tell me that fuel
> filters have been required by the EPA to have "hydrophobic" coatings
> since the 1980s. This was supposedly intended to prevent water from
> reaching the upper regions of fuel-injection systems.
>
> Much Googling failed to turn up any confirmation of any such regulation.

I would think that a hydrophobic coating on the filter element would
prevent the filter element itself from "wetting out" and thus partially
preventing fuel from flowing through it.