what is the cost to replace the engine on 1998 Accrod LX, V4 ?

Old April 17th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default what is the cost to replace the engine on 1998 Accrod LX, V4 ?

I need some advice to compare the cost to replace the engine in my 1998 Honda
Accord, V4 ?

My car still runs fine since it is maintained by Honda dealer but it makes
some noise. If we want to keep the car for a couple more years, should we
replace the engine or not ?

Thank you much.
Old April 17th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Noise? What noise? What does your dealer say the noise is? How many
miles on it?

If the engine doesn't seem as quiet as it used to, try 10W30 oil, or a
different brand if already using it. The dealer may be using 5W20.

If you have a 4 cylinder engine, it is an I-4, not a V4.

if it still runs fine, there's absolutely no reason to spend thousands
to replace it. What makes you think all those connections to wires,
hoses, other parts will be done right?

Engines get relatively few miles in Japan, if you did replace it, you
can probably get a cheap, low mileage engine that has been imported
from Japan. Search on the Internet. It's only worth it if you plan on
years more ownership.

Old April 17th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article <5eecbfce3e2c9@uwe>, "snnguyen" <u20957@uwe> wrote:

> I need some advice to compare the cost to replace the engine in my 1998 Honda
> Accord, V4 ?
>
> My car still runs fine since it is maintained by Honda dealer but it makes
> some noise. If we want to keep the car for a couple more years, should we
> replace the engine or not ?
>
> Thank you much.

Don't even consider replacing the engine until you determine how much
money it will cost to have your engine repaired. If you are not a
mechanic, I advise you to take the car to your favorite mechanic and have
him or her figure out the source of the noise. It's possible there is a
simple solution such as adjusting the timing. You may want to consider
trading in your car on a new car if you can't find a solution to the
problem. That would be a better solution than replacing the engine.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old April 18th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"snnguyen" <u20957@uwe> wrote in news:5eecbfce3e2c9@uwe:

> I need some advice to compare the cost to replace the engine in my
> 1998 Honda Accord, V4 ?

Inline-4, not "V4".

Cost? At *least* a couple of grand for a good replacement.

> My car still runs fine since it is maintained by Honda dealer but it
> makes some noise. If we want to keep the car for a couple more years,
> should we replace the engine or not ?

You don't replace a motor just because it's making a "noise".

Mind describing the "noise" for us? Is the bottom end knocking because
somebody ran it dry of oil?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 18th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article >,
(Jason) wrote:

> In article <5eecbfce3e2c9@uwe>, "snnguyen" <u20957@uwe> wrote:
>
> > I need some advice to compare the cost to replace the engine in my

1998 Honda
> > Accord, V4 ?
> >
> > My car still runs fine since it is maintained by Honda dealer but it makes
> > some noise. If we want to keep the car for a couple more years, should we
> > replace the engine or not ?
> >
> > Thank you much.

> Don't even consider replacing the engine until you determine how much
> money it will cost to have your engine repaired. If you are not a
> mechanic, I advise you to take the car to your favorite mechanic and have
> him or her figure out the source of the noise. It's possible there is a
> simple solution such as adjusting the timing. You may want to consider
> trading in your car on a new car if you can't find a solution to the
> problem. That would be a better solution than replacing the engine.

Update:
If you take the car to a mechanic, ask him or her to place the car on a
lift and take a close look at the exhaust system. There may be holes or
damage--or the muffler might need to be replaced. Also, the mechanic
should hook the engine up to a Diagnostic Computerizied Engine Tester to
determine if there are problems.
If you decide to trade in the car on a new one--check the decibels (dBA)
of any vehicles that you test drive. The salesman should be able to
provide the dBA levels of all new cars. You may be able to find out that
sort of info. on the internet by conducting a google search. For example,
they may have that info. at roadandtrack.com
Does anyone else know where snnguyen can find out the dBA levels of new cars?
Jason

Old April 18th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Hello:

Thank you for your advice. My car seems fatigued climbing uphill and the
engines labors. That is the engine noise not muffler or exhaust noise.

Thank you.

Old April 18th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article <5ef82438060b9@uwe>, "snnguyen via CarKB.com" <u20957@uwe> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Thank you for your advice. My car seems fatigued climbing uphill and the
> engines labors. That is the engine noise not muffler or exhaust noise.
>
> Thank you.

Hello,
The only way to determine if there is something wrong with your engine is
for you to take the vehicle to a mechanic and have him or her hook it up
to the computerized engine tester. The mechanic will tell you if the tests
indicate any problems your engine may have. He or she should also
determine the source of engine noise. You should not replace the engine
unless the engine in your car has a major problem so as a cracked block.
Almost all 4 cyld. engines struggle when going up all hills--that's one of
the reasons people buy cars that have 6 cyld. and 8 cyld engines. The
engine in your car has much more power than the engines in Civics and
other small cars.
Jason