Looking for help from any PDPI card/Windows XP users.

Old January 6th 05, 10:30 PM
LA45

Default Looking for help from any PDPI card/Windows XP users.

Are there any other dinosaurs out there like me? I am still using a PDPI
card (an ISA slot Digital Game Card)?

After years of using a TSW wheel and a PDPI card under Windows 98se, I
decided to upgrade to Windows XP. Now when I try to install the PDPI
drivers I get the error message:

"You do not have access to make the required system configuration
modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators
account."

I am the only user of my computer, and have only one administrator account
set up.

I've installed other software and hardware on this XP operating system, and
this is the first problem I've encountered.

Has anyone out there experienced this problem, and if so, do know of a fix
short going the route of a dual operating system installation?

I tried running N2003 using the soundcard joystick port, but for some reason
my lap times are 2 to 3 second slower than they were when using the PDPI
game card.

Thanks

Old January 6th 05, 10:41 PM
Steve Smith

I held out as long as I could, but I finally gave up, installed XP, and use
a USB connection instead of the gameport connector. I suggest you do
likewise. But, failing that, I guess you could install a Win 9x/SE/ME
partition. Or maybe work around the admin issue.

Old January 6th 05, 10:53 PM
LA45

Were you able to tell a significant difference between USB connection and
the sound card's
gameport--or did you not try the gameport? Also, are you using the TSW--USB
connector, or did you go a different route?

thanks

Old January 7th 05, 11:34 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:53:29 -0500, LA45 wrote:
> Were you able to tell a significant difference between USB connection and
> the sound card's
> gameport--or did you not try the gameport? Also, are you using the TSW--USB
> connector, or did you go a different route?
>
> thanks

I ordered hi-spec pots from the US and a rockfire USB converter. This
setup works "ok", it's not as sensitive as the original gameport setup
but quite adequate for driving. I get around 200 values on the
steering axis and around 60 on the pedals (brake / throttle).

I decided to go the el-cheapo route first and can always upgrade to
the tsw-provided usb kit at a later date.

cheers,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old January 7th 05, 03:12 PM
Asgeir Nesoen

There are no XP drivers for PDPI. Nor 2000.

The PDPI could, in theory run under 2000, because 2000 have full PnP for
ISA devices, but PDPI went out of business before 2000 was on every
gaming computer...

I believe ISA is a much bigger problem in XP than 2000, partly because
Microsoft greatly reduced support for it, partly because you need a
motherboard with an ISA slot, and the fastest boards you can find with
ISA slots come with the FCPGA2 slot (1.4 Ghz max), if I am not mistaken.
This is too slow for high end racing sims, but GPL will work nicely with it.

It *is* possible to get this card to work on a fast motherboard without
an ISA slot using a PCI to ISA bridge card (for instance
http://www.costronic.com/Ev71p.htm), but this will include writing a
driver for it, and I have no idea how to do this. It may not be very
difficult, but is too much for me to take on. I would be very happy to
participate in a team with people who knows how to do this, though.

I also believe it IS possible to dig out the ISA interface info from
PDPI, I believe I talked to a "Mike" concerning the external connector
specification. I also believe PDPI still exists, but with different
lines of products. Since the PDIP card bears no economic interest to
nobody this should be possible.

If there are enough person interested in this, I may consider taking on
a project, though.

---Asgeir---

Old January 7th 05, 03:34 PM
LA45

Thanks Uwe, for the reply. I may test the Rockfire USB converter before I
try anything else.

Old January 7th 05, 03:50 PM
LA45

Thanks, Asgeir. Now I know why I was getting the error message when I tried
to install the PDPI drivers on the XP/OS. I knew PDPI went out of business
some time ago, but I didn't know why XP would send up the "administrator
error" message when I tried to install those drivers. My MB is a 1.2 ghz,
Abit KT7a (I guess it is about time to upgrade). Good luck with the
proposed project, and thanks for the reply and the info.

Tks

Old January 11th 05, 05:31 AM
LA45

Thanks to all for the info., and suggestions. I've decided to send the
wheel back for the USB upgrade.

Larry