RSC/USPITS: Time for FILSCA to step up to the plate?

Old January 9th 05, 01:06 PM
ZZ

Every time I hear of filsca, I can't help but hear the phrase

"All your racing sims are belong to us"

--
Richard "ZZ" Busch

Member:
Screamers Racing League
oAo
AoA
MARA TransAm
GT Rank +57.022
GT Rank Monster 1414.955
GPL Rank + 14.768
MoGPL Rank + 308.654
N2003 Rank -18.8060
Old January 9th 05, 05:24 PM
Jasper

Just how do they empower? And who are the vultures, cant ever remember
seeing anyone demand anything from me before I race online, Iam not against
leauges/teams/drivers joining to together but its all the nonsense of
commitees, sim approval and all that which just seems like kids pretending
to be the Fia to me.

Old January 9th 05, 06:06 PM
JP

"ZZ" > wrote in message ...
> Every time I hear of filsca, I can't help but hear the phrase
>
> "All your racing sims are belong to us"
>

> --
> Richard "ZZ" Busch
>
> Member:
> Screamers Racing League
> oAo
> AoA
> MARA TransAm
> GT Rank +57.022
> GT Rank Monster 1414.955
> GPL Rank + 14.768
> MoGPL Rank + 308.654
> N2003 Rank -18.8060
> ----------------
> Remember racecar is racecar spelled backward
> -----------------

lol

Old January 9th 05, 10:59 PM
Tony Rickard

"alex martini" wrote:

> control simracing? That's a little rich - FILSCA's nothing mroe than teh
> work of a few guys over the course of a few years to facilitate leagues

and
> keep drivers' stats for life - and all of it for free.

I am sure that is the aim.

However, the script writers got a bit carried away IMHO with talks of moving
sim racing up to Quake match status with the associated prize money and the
recognition of our sport. Sim racing is a relative niche market compared to
online FPS.

Also announcing FILSCA as the first world sanctioning body for sim racing
suggests some authority and from where?

The "Federation International des Ligues des Simulateurs de Courses
Automobiles" will alienate more than a few for several reasons:

Firstly it is French which tells the Americans this is European run, and
tells the British that is er French... If it was in English it could be
perceived as a global initiative.

Secondly it sounds an awful like FIA or even FISA. Those more mature amongst
us will remember the FISA vs FOCA political wars which had nothing to do
with racing.

Thirdly if it is a sanctioning body how is this body elected to sanction
anything?

I am not against the concept and I am sure the guys put a lot of thankless
time in keeping this running, but I do think the mission statement is rather
grandiose and stacking sim racing up against competitive FPS playing is way
over optimistic.

Also I remember when Jack Rambo put together his "Nail the Track" series
with a view to developing a World series with the equivalent of motor racing
competition licenses for members back in 1999 with the conclusion that sim
racing was just too niche compared with Quake et al.

I am sure FILSCA means well but the days of professional sim racing drivers
seem way off to me...

Cheers
Tony

Old January 10th 05, 10:37 AM
Darren Williamson

Tony, I think you hit it right on the head. Very well stated.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to look at their statutes and
charter shortly after they had their 'unveiling'. With such items as
requiring drivers in member leagues to recognize FILSCA as the "sole
authority over sim racing proper", and not allowing leagues to leave
FILSCA without approval of the management, and numerous other similar
gems, one can only guess what their intentions originally were.

This along with some of the rudeness displayed by some of FILSCA's
management never inspired much confidence in me. 'Poorly begun is hard
to salvage'. It's always seemed to me that they are trying to fix a
problem that doesn't exist. As a 'sanctioning body' they potentially
could end up being the problem.

Do I take it that non-FILSCA leagues are now outlaw leagues :-))))))?
DW

Old January 10th 05, 02:46 PM
Byron Forbes

"Darren Williamson" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Tony, I think you hit it right on the head. Very well stated.
>
> A few years ago I had the opportunity to look at their statutes and
> charter shortly after they had their 'unveiling'. With such items as
> requiring drivers in member leagues to recognize FILSCA as the "sole
> authority over sim racing proper", and not allowing leagues to leave
> FILSCA without approval of the management, and numerous other similar
> gems, one can only guess what their intentions originally were.
>
> This along with some of the rudeness displayed by some of FILSCA's
> management never inspired much confidence in me. 'Poorly begun is hard
> to salvage'. It's always seemed to me that they are trying to fix a
> problem that doesn't exist. As a 'sanctioning body' they potentially
> could end up being the problem.
>
> Do I take it that non-FILSCA leagues are now outlaw leagues :-))))))?
> DW

Far Kurnell! What a load of complete bull****! A bunch of people get
together to create a centralized site for sim racing leauges, and nothing
more, and some bunch of bozos somehow think they're trying to take over
everything somehow. Just exactly how in the **** are they going to do that
****wit? Try to make it mean something to be human in future if it's not too
much trouble!

Old January 10th 05, 07:09 PM
Tony Rickard

"Byron Forbes" wrote:

> Far Kurnell! What a load of complete bull****! A bunch of people get
> together to create a centralized site for sim racing leauges, and nothing
> more, and some bunch of bozos somehow think they're trying to take over
> everything somehow. Just exactly how in the **** are they going to do that
> ****wit? Try to make it mean something to be human in future if it's not
> too much trouble!

What you describe is what has been delivered rather than the stated aims. I
would suggest the intentions were genuine enough but that someone got a bit
carried away with the prose. This has led to many being wary of an unelected
sanctioning body claiming to be the "face" of sim racing. Whether this is
misinterpretation or not the statements are there to be misinterpreted. Such
bodies are a necessary evil in professional competitive circles with all the
politics and power struggles to boot. As I personally don't see much future
for professional sim racing I would question the need. I certainly shan't be
giving up my day job but that could be simply due to lack of talent

A group of dedicated people giving up their own time to help fellow sim
racers and provide useful stats and league summaries is another matter and
another positive aspect of the sim community.

I just think there is some naivity in producing a white paper with comments
such as:

Official national or world championships
It will present itself as the "face" of sim-racing
it will create the base for sponsored leagues and paid drivers as well as
securing sim-racing’s future
Consolidation of sim-racing into one body
Landmark in forming first organizing body for sim-sport
Once achieved, prizes for drivers will become a reality—and the producers of
simulations will have no choice but to consult with its core market —FILSCA
and its members

Which is significantly more than "A bunch of people get together to create a
centralized site for sim racing leauges, and nothing more" whatever spin you
put on it...

Cheers
Tony

Old January 10th 05, 07:14 PM
mcewena

>What's more, filsca is not owned by anyone except the member leagues -

So what's the length of the term of FILSCA president? Are there an
annual election for officers from the league reps or is it a
president-for-life kind of thing?

Who decides if a league is eligible to join?

There are lots of items like this about the filsca structure that
aren't out on the public side of the forum, the answers might be beyond
reproach but my point is we don't know.

2-3 times I've sent email requesting info about joining for the leagues
I run/help and I've got no response, it could be just a coincidence
that I've also posted (constructive I think) criticisms in their forums
(which disappeared), maybe they were just bad email weeks.

Old January 10th 05, 08:17 PM
alex martini

I don't know about your emails - I have little to do with the day to day
activity of FILSCA but I assure you no-one is editing or censoring your
mails or questions; FILSCA is as open as you want it to be and we have
plenty of leagues and about 2000 member drivers ... I know Christoph may
have something to say on this, so I've sent him the links to these mails -
the short of it is simple; FILSCA is a club. The reason why we are a club is
so that FILSCA can run itself. As for league entrance, yes we have certain
rules to join the club. Like any club, we have minimum rules for entry; you
have to run a sim, you have to have certain rules in place, etc. These are
normal rules and not draconian in the slightest.
ups.com...

Old January 11th 05, 12:39 PM
alex martini

Re. to:
"2-3 times I've sent email requesting info about joining for the leagues
I run/help and I've got no response, it could be just a coincidence
that I've also posted (constructive I think) criticisms in their forums
(which disappeared), maybe they were just bad email weeks."
by mcewana

Lots of issues raised, so let's start with the most obvious one:
Art, I don't know where you have sent leagues requests to - surely they did
not end in
my mailbox.
And there is no connection whatsoever to your posts which did not disappear.
The
forum had been reopened in January 2004, and the public posts from the
period 2001-
02 had been moved to read-only archive. Just go to "Old forums" at the
bottom.
However, posts of about 3 months were lost due to backup failure.

Cheers
Christoph
Head of the FILSCA Board
ups.com...