Oil Leak after Timing Belt Change

Old December 19th 04, 05:24 AM
Jonathan Goodish

Default Oil Leak after Timing Belt Change

I had my A4 1.8T timing belt changed by an independent garage, along
with water pump, accessory belts, etc. about 5000 miles ago. Almost
immediately afterward, I noticed what appeared to be a an oil spray all
over the front of the engine compartment. The spray and associated
smell disappeared after a couple hundred miles, and engine fluids looked
okay, so I didn't worry about it.

However, oil is still leaking from somewhere in the engine compartment
sufficiently enough to drip from just about every surface on the
underside of the engine, onto the belly pan, and from there onto the
garage floor. I changed the engine oil a couple days ago, and wiped up
the underside of the engine pretty well, cleaned the belly pan, and
after a couple hundred miles the oil is again leaking sufficiently to
coat the underside of the engine and drip from the belly pan onto the
garage floor. This leak was not present prior to the timing belt change
or, if it was, it certainly wasn't severe enough to be this noticeable.

The oil appears to be motor oil, though I haven't noticed a drop in the
crankcase oil level. I am perplexed as to the source, and wonder if it
could have been caused or aggravated by the shop in the course of
changing the timing belt. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
JKG
Old December 19th 04, 01:23 PM
AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

How much did an indy charge for this job? I have been quoted $1,500 by Audi.

Thanks.

--
_________________________________
http://austinmini.ositech.net

Looking for cheap Austin Mini, Wagon, Clubman, Mokes and other variants for
sale in the USA.

Old December 19th 04, 04:56 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article <Uoexd.295$L7.126@trnddc05>,
"AustinMini.OsiTech.Net" (remove)> wrote:

> How much did an indy charge for this job? I have been quoted $1,500 by Audi.
>
> Thanks.

I believe it was around $500 in labor, plus parts.

JKG
Old December 19th 04, 05:59 PM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Did they change the seals also?
If so maybe one, or more, were incorrectly installed. :-(
If not maybe they should have changed them while in there.

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old December 19th 04, 07:00 PM
ian

if the damn thing leaks oil don't sound like the indy price of $500 is
always going to be a deal.

Strange how someone would not see the problems you had and is just looking
at the bottom line. It was just a thought.

m...

Old December 19th 04, 07:44 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article > ,
"ian" > wrote:

> if the damn thing leaks oil don't sound like the indy price of $500 is
> always going to be a deal.

Well, $500 was for the labor, there was another $400+ in parts, so with
sales tax and all it was around $1,000. A little cheaper than the
dealer, but not a lot cheaper than the dealer. The independent shop
seems to have a good reputation, but the car may end up at the dealer
because I don't want to ignore this leak.

I don't know that the independent shop caused it, but something they did
either caused it, made it worse, or the timing was terribly coincidental.

JKG
Old December 19th 04, 08:39 PM
dave

>From: Jonathan Goodish
>
>In article > ,
> "ian" > wrote:
>
>> if the damn thing leaks oil don't sound like the indy price of $500 is
>> always going to be a deal.

>Well, $500 was for the labor, there was another $400+ in parts, so with
>sales tax and all it was around $1,000. A little cheaper than the
>dealer, but not a lot cheaper than the dealer. The independent shop
>seems to have a good reputation, but the car may end up at the dealer
>because I don't want to ignore this leak.
>
>I don't know that the independent shop caused it, but something they did
>either caused it, made it worse, or the timing was terribly coincidental.

Well I have seen an 88 Golf GT that had a nasty oil leak. It had just come
back from the VW dealer where they had only done a timing belt. Oil was almost
pouring out of the timing cover area.
The tech had damaged the crankshaft oil seal carrier by, I will assume,
inserting a long bolt through the crank sprocket. I guess he was trying to
remove the pulleys from the sprocket and had the bolt(s) in the wrong holes.
After another carrier and new seal = all is dry again.
Owner of the Golf did not want to take it back to the dealer.

And on an Audi 80 that same VW/Audi dealer replaced a timing belt and had if
off by one notch. I called the service manager and informed them of this minor
mistake. He replied that they don't make mistakes like that. OMG! lol

Mistakes can happen by anyone.
Take it back to the shop that did the work and see what they say! If they are
honorable they will correct any mistakes they might have done/created.
JMHO

later,
dave
(One out of many Daves)
Old December 22nd 04, 02:47 AM
Chuck

If your sure its oil then it most likely is coming from a camshaft seal. If
your oil level isn't dropping at all then you could be seeing power steering
fluid. Check that and see how much is left in the reservoir. Does your
turbo seem to be working ok?
Chuck
"Jonathan Goodish" > wrote in message
>I had my A4 1.8T timing belt changed by an independent garage, along
> with water pump, accessory belts, etc. about 5000 miles ago. Almost
> immediately afterward, I noticed what appeared to be a an oil spray all
> over the front of the engine compartment. The spray and associated
> smell disappeared after a couple hundred miles, and engine fluids looked
> okay, so I didn't worry about it.
>
> However, oil is still leaking from somewhere in the engine compartment
> sufficiently enough to drip from just about every surface on the
> underside of the engine, onto the belly pan, and from there onto the
> garage floor. I changed the engine oil a couple days ago, and wiped up
> the underside of the engine pretty well, cleaned the belly pan, and
> after a couple hundred miles the oil is again leaking sufficiently to
> coat the underside of the engine and drip from the belly pan onto the
> garage floor. This leak was not present prior to the timing belt change
> or, if it was, it certainly wasn't severe enough to be this noticeable.
>
> The oil appears to be motor oil, though I haven't noticed a drop in the
> crankcase oil level. I am perplexed as to the source, and wonder if it
> could have been caused or aggravated by the shop in the course of
> changing the timing belt. Does anyone have any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
> JKG

2001 change timing belt or not? Buying a Used Audi Audi 16 December 27th 04 06:02 PM
A4 1.8T Timing Belt [email protected] Audi 2 October 15th 04 05:48 PM
Timing belt change - 1996 Audi A6 (2.6 litre V6) - what's involved? John Prendergast Audi 4 September 9th 04 04:23 PM
Timing belt on 1996 2.8 Wayne Mak Audi 6 September 6th 04 02:38 PM
Timing Belt Change Simon Audi 10 August 26th 04 04:52 AM