1991 Cabriolet will not start

Old June 9th 05, 01:37 AM
swim

Default 1991 Cabriolet will not start

I have a 1991 Cabriolet that will not start after it travels a long
distance.
(an hour or more). If you shut the car off, it will not start back up
until it cools down. We’ve had this checked out for hundreds of
dollars now and they still don’t know the problem. This has just
recently started happening.
Can anyone help?
Thank you,
Swim

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Volkswagen...ict123696.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=602043
Old June 9th 05, 02:30 AM
Woodchuck

Did they check to see if the fuel system hold pressure after turning the
engine off? The pressure is nneded to prevent fuel vapor lock.

news:1_602043_0dff1260e8006700187ae6a65eb0d9f2@aut oforumz.com...

Old June 10th 05, 04:05 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

It is probably an automatic transmission and the starter is not activating.
I could be wrong though. ;-)

Better (Bigger) battery cables and maybe the Bosch recommended starter
booster kit should help. Testing the wiring to the starter might tell you
something too!

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old June 12th 05, 12:49 AM
Woodchuck

By no start do you mean it will not crank, or does it crank and will not
start?

news:1_603800_5820eee5586ad3145312d130c8a7dc8c@aut oforumz.com...

Old June 13th 05, 07:36 PM
swim

"stv_euroski" wrote:
> By no start do you mean it will not crank, or does it crank
> and will not
> start?
>
> "swim" > wrote in message
> news:1_603800_5820eee5586ad3145312d130c8a7dc8c@aut oforumz.com...
> > "dave AKA vwdoc11" wrote:

>  > > It is probably an automatic transmission and the
> starter is
>  > > not activating.
>  > > I could be wrong though. ;-)
>  > >
>  > > Better (Bigger) battery cables and maybe the Bosch
> recommended
>  > > starter
>  > > booster kit should help. Testing the wiring to the
> starter
>  > > might tell you
>  > > something too!
>  > >
>  > > later,
>  > > dave
>  > > (One out of many daves)
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > "Woodchuck" > wrote in
> message
>  > > ...
>   > > > Did they check to see if the fuel system
> hold pressure after
>  > > turning the
>   > > > engine off? The pressure is nneded to
> prevent fuel vapor
>  > > lock.
>   > > >
>   > > > "swim" >
> wrote in message
>   > > >
> news:1_602043_0dff1260e8006700187ae6a65eb0d9f2@aut oforumz.com...
>  > >  >>I have a 1991 Cabriolet that will not
> start after it
>  > > travels a long
>  > >  >> distance.
>  > >  >> (an hour or more). If you shut the
> car off, it will
>  > > not start back up
>  > >  >> until it cools down. We've had this
> checked out for
>  > > hundreds of
>  > >  >> dollars now and they still don't know
> the problem.
>  > > This has just
>  > >  >> recently started happening.
>  > >  >> Can anyone help?
>  > >  >> Thank you,
>  > >  >> Swim
> >
> > This sounds like a good idea no one yet has thought of. We

> are going
> > to try this. Thanks so much for your input.
> >
> > Swim
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request

> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.autoforumz.com/Volkswagen...ict123696.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

> abuse:
> > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=603800

It does crank but will not start.
Old June 14th 05, 01:40 PM
One out of many daves

So it does crank when hot...........
Well that blew my theory away! lol

Like Woodchuck said you need to check the fuel pressure.
Also check the spark.

How hot does the engine get?
Do you hear the radiator running at any time like when the engine is off?
I am thinking that the fuel may get too hot and turn into vapor.

good luck,
dave
(One out of many daves)