Silly question - can't get the wheels off my 156 JTS!

Old July 26th 04, 12:18 PM
Alfistagj

My owners manual says: "Place the jack under the car near the wheel"
A picture goes with it that shows the jack to be approx 40cm (16") from the
wheel arch and the V-notch in the jack to align with the sharp rim under the
side 10cm (4") inside the side of the car.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Gareth Tuckwell" > schreef in bericht
> Also - there are no jacking point markings front or rear under the car
> (normally there are little triangles or arrows) - any pointers there as

the
> pictures in the handbook don't match the car or the jack?!?
>

> "Gareth Tuckwell" > wrote in message
> > I have just tried to swap the wheels front-to-back to rotate the tyres

on
> my
> > 52 plate 156 2.0JTS, but I can't get the wheels off!!
> >
> > There wheels look normal - 5 nuts (1 locking). I can't see anything

> special
> > on the wheels and the handbook doesn't give any special instructions.

Its
> > not like I can't change a wheel, but this has me stumped!! In attempt to
> > sound slightly less silly - yes I did jack the car up and yes I did

remove

Old July 26th 04, 12:55 PM
Carl Farrington

Catman wrote:
> Carl Farrington wrote:
>
>> Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
>>> Also - there are no jacking point markings front or rear under the
>>> car (normally there are little triangles or arrows) - any pointers
>>> there
>>> as the pictures in the handbook don't match the car or the jack?!?
>>>

>> I've always found jacking points to not look very strong, so I
>> always jack the A-arm up. It also has the benefit that you aren't
>> jacking up the car on the suspension while the wheel stays on the
>> floor. I'm no spanner-man so perhaps this isn't a good idea but it's
>> worked well for me.

> That *may* not be a good idea. There was a big thing about (IIRC)
> Vauxhalls on which the A-arm would bend when this was done. Best to
> use the jacking points IMHO. After all, they are designed or the
> purpose.

mmm interesting! As it happens, I jack from very close to the pivot point,
if not near enough on it.

Old July 26th 04, 02:30 PM
Catman

Carl Farrington wrote:

> Catman wrote:
>> Carl Farrington wrote:

>>> I've always found jacking points to not look very strong, so I
>>> always jack the A-arm up. It also has the benefit that you aren't
>>> jacking up the car on the suspension while the wheel stays on the
>>> floor. I'm no spanner-man so perhaps this isn't a good idea but it's
>>> worked well for me.

>> That *may* not be a good idea. There was a big thing about (IIRC)
>> Vauxhalls on which the A-arm would bend when this was done. Best to
>> use the jacking points IMHO. After all, they are designed or the
>> purpose.

> mmm interesting! As it happens, I jack from very close to the pivot point,
> if not near enough on it.

You'll porbably be OK. I have no trouble finding a jacking point. They
are the bits that rust first.......
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 26th 04, 06:42 PM
Tony Rickard

"Gareth Tuckwell" wrote:

> I would love to use the jacking points on the 156JTS, but there don't seem
> to be any!

Curious, my 2003 156 has very obvious jacking points. Is yours a Veloce (as
mine is)? I say this as there are clear cutaways in the skirts for the jack.

Cheers
Tony

Old July 27th 04, 11:37 AM
Gareth Tuckwell

No its a 2002 JTS Turismo - there are no arrows, triangles, cutaways or
anything! Under the door sills, there is a ridge that runs the length of the
car from wheel arch to wheel arch, but that's it - maybe it can be jacked up
anywhere along this sill/ridge?

Old July 28th 04, 02:26 PM
Halmyre

Tony Rickard wrote:
> "Gareth Tuckwell" wrote:
>

>>I would love to use the jacking points on the 156JTS, but there don't seem
>>to be any!

> Curious, my 2003 156 has very obvious jacking points. Is yours a Veloce (as
> mine is)? I say this as there are clear cutaways in the skirts for the jack.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

My Veloce has cutaways near the rear of the skirt, but not at the front
(in fact, one cutaway is missing, presumably fell off, and I don't feel
like shelling out for another one just now - probably costs an arm and a
leg!). So is the one jacking point intended to raise one entire side off
the ground?

Halmyre

Old July 28th 04, 08:31 PM
Tony Rickard

> My Veloce has cutaways near the rear of the skirt, but not at the front
> (in fact, one cutaway is missing, presumably fell off, and I don't feel
> like shelling out for another one just now - probably costs an arm and a
> leg!). So is the one jacking point intended to raise one entire side off
> the ground?

It will. When I rotated my tyres around I was able to jack up a whole side
at a time

Old July 28th 04, 08:53 PM
Ex Alfa Adam

"Gareth Tuckwell" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a rattle!!

Had the same problem with my last 33 - LOTS of welly with mallet didn't
remove the wheel once it had been lowered without bolts, wobbled sideways
without bolts, sworn at.

Bent screwdriver hammered between hub & wheel moved it eventually, at the
cost of a new screwdriver - thank goodness it had P4 alloys with large holes
in them!

Adam H

Just a quick question about the MAF sensor Pete Alfa Romeo 0 July 16th 04 11:56 AM
Alloy Wheels Tom Boltwood Alfa Romeo 14 July 4th 04 10:28 AM
Bubbly Wheels Halmyre Alfa Romeo 2 June 30th 04 08:49 PM
146 1.6 TS question Alex C Alfa Romeo 1 May 21st 04 04:27 PM
GT Wheels on a 156 Graeme Cosgrove Alfa Romeo 1 May 15th 04 05:08 PM