lube/clean axle before install?

Old June 16th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default lube/clean axle before install?

Just bought a new axle shaft for my 01 crown vic, its dry, kind of
dirty, but its new. how do i clean it and should i lube it up before
installing it?

Old June 16th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Brandon9" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just bought a new axle shaft for my 01 crown vic, its dry, kind of
> dirty, but its new. how do i clean it and should i lube it up before
> installing it?

Clean it off with some diesel or paint thinner. Wipe it down real good
and check the seal and bearing surfaces over before installing it. Look
at the splines and make sure they are not real sharp on the ends and the
same with the bearing and seal step. If you find a real sharp spot dress
it out with a sharpening stone to JUST remove the sharp spots. That
makes it less likely that you slice the seal when you install it. On the
spline end I would put just a light coat of rear gear lube, on the
bearing itself I'd put a light coat of NON moly grease, just plain old
bearing grease. Then put it together.

2003 EB Explorer limeybiker Ford Explorer 2 December 17th 05 03:33 AM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Right Rear Axle Shaft Bearing Questions '88 XJ Dana 35 dave AKA vwdoc1 Jeep 4 August 4th 05 11:15 PM
94 Caprice 9C1 police rear axle bearing question [email protected] Technology 9 April 17th 05 03:43 PM
OT - Had a really weird game install problem. elrikk Simulators 3 October 29th 04 02:30 PM