2001 won't start

Old March 9th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 2001 won't start

Hello,

I have a 2001 Mustang GT that will not start. In the winter I store it
in the garage. Most winters I try to drive it about once a month, but
the last 6 months have been very hectic and I did not have an
opportunity to drive it. So, last weekend I tried to start it up, and
it wouldn't start. I have a new battery for it. The first 3 times I
tried starting it I couldn't get it to start. After that, I tried two
more times and it would start, but it would die about 1 second later.
I let the car sit for a few minutes, and tried to start it again and it
wouldn't start at all. Has anyone had this experience or know what the
problem could be? Funds are low right now and I do not look forward to
having it towed to a garage. Also, I am not mechanically inclined.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Old March 9th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Change the fuel filter... then, before attempting to start it, add a can or
two of drygas.

Cycle the Fuel pump several times.. maybe ten.

Do you know the protocol for starting a balky FI engine?

Just like the old time carbs:

FIRST, floor accel pedal.. feeds less gas during cranking.

if no start, then pump the pedal, feeds more gas.

Next time use StaBil (fuel stabilizer),. whether you think you're going to
run it once a month or not.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old March 11th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> done said:

> Hello,
>
> I have a 2001 Mustang GT that will not start. In the winter I store it
> in the garage. Most winters I try to drive it about once a month, but
> the last 6 months have been very hectic and I did not have an
> opportunity to drive it. So, last weekend I tried to start it up, and
> it wouldn't start. I have a new battery for it. The first 3 times I
> tried starting it I couldn't get it to start. After that, I tried two
> more times and it would start, but it would die about 1 second later.
> I let the car sit for a few minutes, and tried to start it again and it
> wouldn't start at all. Has anyone had this experience or know what the
> problem could be? Funds are low right now and I do not look forward to
> having it towed to a garage. Also, I am not mechanically inclined.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had a similar problem not too long ago with my 2001 GT. It would fire up but
immedietly die. Turned out to be sludge in the throttle body assembly. This
is, supposedly, an issue with Fords after a few years.

I got it cleaned up, and everything is right as rain.

- Max -
=======
My vision would turn your world upside down,
tear asunder your allusions and send the
sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing
down around you. - Huey Freeman