Auto Parts Places and Stupidity

Old June 6th 05, 09:59 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Cherokee-Ltd" > wrote in message
> Those that can't achieve the minimum level of stupidity at parts stores

are
> referred to Home Depot.Those surpassing the minimum level of stupidity are
> then fast tracked into management positions.
>
> A few years ago NAPA spent millions of dollars in training. There were

sent
> to training facilities across the continent and you'll probably find that
> they can say "it's not in the computer" with the same level of confidence

as
> in the old days when they'd say "There's nothing in the book".
>
> With that said, I don't expect these people to know everything about every
> part on every vehicle. I just wish they could acknowledge that for

whatever
> reason the part isn't available through them instead of saying that the

part
> you have in your hand doesn't exist at all.
>
> Have you ever had this conversation?
>
> Me: Hi, I need a 2" ball and receiver for a Class 3 hitch.
> NAPA: What year is the vehicle?
> Me: '92 Suburban, like that matters.
> NAPA: Air conditioning?
> Me: Let me go check.
> ...I still wonder if the guy was thinking "what an idiot, he doesn't even
> know if he has air conditioning" while I drove off to another store.
>
> -Brian

I can't help but wonder why you would need the guy behind the counter to
help you find a Class 3 receiver and a 2" ball.

Old June 6th 05, 10:06 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Just thought I mention most these kids we see a Home Depot have a
stock/annuity plan exceeding one million dollars.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 7th 05, 09:04 AM
Cherokee-Ltd

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> I can't help but wonder why you would need the guy behind the counter to
> help you find a Class 3 receiver and a 2" ball.

Most NAPA's here are just 3 or 4 aisles of product and 60 feet of counter
for 2 or 3 employees. I'm sure if I had stuck around the parts guy would
have said "we don't have it in stock but we can order it". The only reason I
continue to go there is for prices (I get dealer discount) and it's across
the street from work.

-Brian

Old June 7th 05, 01:57 PM
Professor

Hey... hold your breath... and count to ten. Exhale slowly. You have to
remember that the folks down at the local auto store are not MIT
graduates. You'll have to do the thinking and do as much as you can to
get the parts you need.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com
Got LEDs?

Old June 7th 05, 02:27 PM
Snow

You ever try to buy a rad for an '89 Caprice Wagon at Cambodian Tire????
the one dude was insisting that there was now way I needed a rad for a 307,
since the Chevy 5 litre is a 305... I knew he was wrong but he insisted the
305 rad was what I wanted and needed, So I let him order it, then went back
after lunch to pick it up. Guess what???? wrong rad (LMAO). This time I
had a different guy but the "know-it-all" was still there behind the
counter. The parts manager asked me why I had ordered the rad for a 305 and
not a 307 (they were attempting to charge me the 10% re-stocking fee). I
told the manager that if he cared to check he would see the know-it-all was
the sales clerk, and unless the guy lied like he order parts he (the
manager) would find out the the clerk had "decided" I needed the 305 rad.

I got the proper rad special delivered to my parents place inside of an hour
and got a free jug of fluid...

Snow...

Old June 7th 05, 05:48 PM
Paul Calman

> Hey... hold your breath... and count to ten. Exhale slowly. You have to
> remember that the folks down at the local auto store are not MIT
> graduates. You'll have to do the thinking and do as much as you can to
> get the parts you need.

That is how it works. You tell them what you want, and when they get it, you
must make sure it is correct and free of defects.
If you expect anything else you will be disappointed.

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Old June 7th 05, 09:15 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

God helps those that help themselves.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 8th 05, 04:41 AM
Bulletsnbrains

Yep, I agree the Checkers, Autozone and such really suck. So I use a
privately owned store down the street. It's only fair to name the store. If
in Madison, WI area, goto J&H Auto on Monona Dr.

They allways beat the big chains and even the 4wd.com people for most
parts.

Brian

Old June 9th 05, 12:09 AM

The 307 is a non-Chevy engine, then? What's good for one SB Chev
radiator-wise should be ok for any, as far as the radiator goes, I
would think.

Old June 9th 05, 02:32 AM
Eric

There was this tiny mom & pop shop in NW San Antonio (wish I could remember
the name!) that I used to go to when I was here a few years ago. It was
down the street from my house, a bit higher on the price. but the guys were
awesome with customer service. Sometimes they didn't have my part, but
tried their best to get it right away. Even taught me how to change my
serpentine belt (no, back then I had no clue how to do that). Really good
guys.

Wish I could go there more now, but that's on the other side of town from
me... this discussion has just made me want to spend the extra time/money
just to shop there again.

Eric
m...