1998-2000 passat lower control arm recall

Old November 29th 04, 07:37 PM
Frank

Default 1998-2000 passat lower control arm recall

We got a recall letter from VWoA about 1998-2000 Passats, wear on the
front suspension lower control arms, check and possibly replace them.
Says they can be worn even if rubber boots are not damaged, then if
rubber boots are damaged, blah, blah,.... Anyone have any experience
with that? Thanks.

Frank
Old December 1st 04, 12:16 AM
Rose Faex

Thanks for posting this request; my parents received this letter, too
and didn't know what to do. And I'm curious, too. Before you take your
car in for work, you should consider that there's something very fishy
about this "recall".

First of all, you may have noticed the other stuff in the envelope
included a "reimbursement" form. If you read the recall letter and
this form carefully, you will see that you are going to be expected to
pay for the repair work, for which you will be reimbursed (later,
after having sent in the form) only if you can prove that you have
rigorously maintained the car according to VW's service schedule. You
must have saved all receipts, and they must be for exactly the
recommended services (or maybe more service, presumably), or you'll
get nothing. My parents more than the required number of services,
though not at the specified intervals. It would be very easy to say
they didn't meet the reimbursement requirements.

My understanding is that work for legitimate vehicle safety recalls is
always free, so right off the bat, I'm suspicious. But to add to my
suspicion, I could find no mention of this problem on either
consumerreports.org or the NHSTA web site (there were four Passat
recalls listed, all of them fairly old, and none of them matching the
description in this letter). There was no safety recall information of
any kind available on the VW web site (they just don't seem to make
this available).

I have not called VW to ask about this letter, but I strongly suspect
that (1) it's at most voluntary, and (2) it's somewhat of a scam to
make some money. If there were a legitimate safety issue, they could
not handle it this way (i.e., by requiring up-front payment with
stringent conditions for reimbursement).

If anyone gets around to finding out more about this, please let us
know. Until then, I've advised my parents to save the letter, but do
nothing.

Rose

Old December 1st 04, 12:28 AM
Rose Faex

OK, here's some more info: Of the recalls shown on the NHSTA web site,
two involve tie-rod wear, and although they are old, could be the ones
referred to in this letter. They are 99V248000 and 00V414000.

However, according to the info on the NHSTA web site, VW is required
to replace the tie rods for free. I don't believe that you would have
to prove that you had regular service in order to get reimbursed.

There's a number to call at VW (1-800-822-8987) and another to call at
the NHSTA if you can't get what you need from VW (1-888-327-4236).

Hope this helps.

Rose

Old December 1st 04, 12:52 AM
Rose Faex

OK, final post.

Called DOT NHTSA: recalls are free. There's no way they should get
charged for required work.

Called VW: the recall is legitimate. They will inspect lower tie rods
and replace for free if there's too much wear. However, they will
charge if the owner can't produce a maintenance receipt for the
service where they would've inspected the tie rods after the recall
was issued.

Frankly, I can't see how they can charge. I mean, I really don't
understand the logic, here. If anyone believes they understand how VW
can require you to pay if you can't prove you had it inspected, please
let me know.

Rose

Old December 1st 04, 01:35 AM
Iain Miller

"Rose Faex" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, final post.
>
> Called DOT NHTSA: recalls are free. There's no way they should get
> charged for required work.
>
> Called VW: the recall is legitimate. They will inspect lower tie rods
> and replace for free if there's too much wear. However, they will
> charge if the owner can't produce a maintenance receipt for the
> service where they would've inspected the tie rods after the recall
> was issued.
>
> Frankly, I can't see how they can charge. I mean, I really don't
> understand the logic, here. If anyone believes they understand how VW
> can require you to pay if you can't prove you had it inspected, please
> let me know.

The reimbursement form is for those who already paid to have the work done
before the recall was issued.

I.

Old December 1st 04, 01:35 AM
Iain Miller

om...

Old December 1st 04, 04:01 AM
Woodchuck

That's how I read it too. It looks like owners got the notice before the
dealers did.