Large VW 4x4, what is it?

Old November 22nd 04, 03:30 PM
dave

Default Large VW 4x4, what is it?

I saw this story on another list and decided to pass it along here. You can
see this VW camper on the link at the bottom page.

Does anyone know about this vehicle?
later,
dave

Old November 23rd 04, 08:01 AM
Matt B.

"dave" > wrote in message
>I saw this story on another list and decided to pass it along here. You
>can see this VW camper on the link at the bottom page.
>
> Does anyone know about this vehicle?

That's a Volkswagen LT. Kinda looks like a T3 (Vanagon) on steriods.

Old November 23rd 04, 08:01 AM
Matt B.

Old November 24th 04, 05:14 AM
Matt B.

"dave" > wrote in message
>now what is a LT? a little more info please.

it's basically a larger VW van or truck for commercial use. it was designed
in the late 1970s I believe. current ones don't look like that one
though...that one was from the late 1970s or early to mid 1980s. it looks
like a BIG Vanagon.

Later (current) LTs are actually related to the Mercedes Sprinter van.
They're the same vehicle but the VW version has slightly different
taillamps, a different nose (uglier than the Merc, IMHO), and I believe
Mercedes has since restyled the dash whereas the VW still has the older
style dash.

The original late 1970s LT:
http://www.mkmueller.de/martin2.jpg

This is the later LT that is shared with the Mercedes Sprinter:
http://www.carpages.co.uk/volkswagen...t_14_08_04.jpg
http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/ima...nt/ACF13EE.jpg

In each case, and like the Older VW vans and T3 (Vanagon) and T4 (Eurovan)
and T5 (current van that we don't get here in the US) the LT was either a
van or a chassis cab (single or double cab).

-Matt

Old November 24th 04, 05:14 AM
Matt B.

Old November 24th 04, 02:26 PM
dave

>From: "Matt B."
>Date: 11/23/2004 10:14 PM Central Standard Time
>
>"dave" > wrote in message
>>now what is a LT? a little more info please.

>it's basically a larger VW van or truck for commercial use. it was designed
>in the late 1970s I believe. current ones don't look like that one
>though...that one was from the late 1970s or early to mid 1980s. it looks
>like a BIG Vanagon.
>
>Later (current) LTs are actually related to the Mercedes Sprinter van.
>They're the same vehicle but the VW version has slightly different
>taillamps, a different nose (uglier than the Merc, IMHO), and I believe
>Mercedes has since restyled the dash whereas the VW still has the older
>style dash.
>
>The original late 1970s LT:

http://www.mkmueller.de/martin2.jpg

>This is the later LT that is shared with the Mercedes Sprinter:
>
>http://www.carpages.co.uk/volkswagen...swagen_lt_14_0

8_04.jpg
>http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/ima...nt/ACF13EE.jpg
>
>In each case, and like the Older VW vans and T3 (Vanagon) and T4 (Eurovan)
>and T5 (current van that we don't get here in the US) the LT was either a
>van or a chassis cab (single or double cab).
>
>-Matt

Now that is news I can use.
Big Thanks Matt! I will do a search and also pass on info to the person who
first informed me of that camper.

I remember at one of the Chicago Auto Shows, VW had shown a camper built by
Winnebago IIRC. I don't remember it looking like a LT though.

off to google now.
later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old November 24th 04, 02:26 PM
dave

Old November 24th 04, 04:10 PM
Matt B.

"dave" > wrote in message
>I remember at one of the Chicago Auto Shows, VW had shown a camper built
>by Winnebago IIRC. I don't remember it looking like a LT though.

The Eurovan Camper was a converted T4 (Eurovan) cargo van that was done by
Winnebago and sold through selected VW dealers. There was also the Rialta
which used a Eurovan chassis cab and Winnebago added on a motor home body on
the back. This was sold through Winnebago dealers and not as a VW product.
Could it have been one of those two?