Who makes/sells decent rebuilt transmissions?

Old May 13th 05, 03:03 AM

Default Who makes/sells decent rebuilt transmissions?

Who makes or sells decent rebuilt GM THM350 transmissions for a DIY
install? What are your experiences with different brands? How would
you compare them in price and quality? I've heard that there is a wide

quality range. After reading in Ron Sessions' Turbo Hydra-Matic 350
Handbook about the careful rebuilding procedures required, I can
understand why.

Here are some brands I've seen advertised for street use:

TCI ("Sizzler"), Jasper, store brand transmissions from
Summit, Jeg's, NAPA, Auto Zone, Checker/Kragen, (Carquest too?).
I believe GM also sells rebuilt THM350s through dealers, but a
mechanic told me they are built under contract by a different
company ("Arens"?). Does GM also still make NEW THM350s in GM
plants, sold through dealers? What about buying one from a
local, independent ATRA-member shop? (I've heard horror
stories about the national chains like AAMCO.)

Old May 13th 05, 04:06 AM
« Paul »

http://www.tbolt.net/
Old May 13th 05, 04:32 AM
mjt

("=AB Paul =BB" <"=AB Paul >) scribbled:

> > Who makes or sells decent rebuilt GM THM350 transmissions for a DIY
> > install?

>=20
> http://www.tbolt.net/

.... the OP probably wants RELIABLE rebuilts

--=20
<< http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com (Garbage - Temptation Waits) >>
God gives us relatives; thank goodness we can chose our friends.
Old May 13th 05, 05:15 AM
« Paul »

mjt wrote:
> =

> ("=AB Paul =BB" <"=AB Paul >) scribbled:
> =

> > > Who makes or sells decent rebuilt GM THM350 transmissions for a DIY=

> > > install?

> > http://www.tbolt.net/

> =

> ... the OP probably wants RELIABLE rebuilts

Oh... That could be a problem.
Old May 13th 05, 05:55 AM
mjt

("=AB Paul =BB" <"=AB Paul >) scribbled:
> mjt wrote:
> > ("=AB Paul =BB" <"=AB Paul >) scribbled:
> >=20
> > >
> > > http://www.tbolt.net/

> >=20
> > ... the OP probably wants RELIABLE rebuilts

>=20
> Oh... That could be a problem.

.... otherwise, they put the "yeee - ha!!" back in your transmission !!!!

)

--=20
<< http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com (Garbage - Push It) >>
To a Real Woman, every ejaculation is premature.
Old May 13th 05, 02:47 PM
mjt

(lugnut >) scribbled:

> >TCI ("Sizzler"), Jasper, store brand transmissions from
> >Summit, Jeg's, NAPA, Auto Zone, Checker/Kragen, (Carquest too?).
> >I believe GM also sells rebuilt THM350s through dealers, but a
> >mechanic told me they are built under contract by a different
> >company ("Arens"?). Does GM also still make NEW THM350s in GM
> >plants, sold through dealers? What about buying one from a
> >local, independent ATRA-member shop? (I've heard horror
> >stories about the national chains like AAMCO.)

> Out of your list, I think TCI and Jasper are probably the
> only ones who actually build transmissions. You can get
> heavy duty and/or performance setups off the shelf from TCI,
> Jasper or Summitt. I have had very good luck dealing with
> Summitt

http://www.tciauto.com/transmissions/
http://www.jasperengines.com/

Eagle Summit? i couldnt find THEIR website, but i found
references to them through auto parts sites:
http://www.google.com/, use {eagle summit transmissions} for search string

--
<< http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com (Garbage - Wicked Ways) >>
Question:
Old May 13th 05, 04:40 PM
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

www.summitracing.com

Old May 17th 05, 05:15 PM

I can't comment on Jasper transmissions, but I've got a Jasper rebuilt
engine in my car (over 3 years now) and I can recommend their engines.

Old May 23rd 05, 02:37 PM

I was going to have the 440T4 in my Reatta done when I install the rebuilt
engine, and
did a lot of research on companies in the Houston area.

I went into the Better Business Bureau website and checked out some of the
local companies.

Some, believe it or not, were flatly called scams. Heavy wording for an
organization like the BBB,
which does not normally like to use blunt rhetoric.

I finally found a few, one in particular, that had an unblemished record, no
complaints.

Old May 24th 05, 12:10 AM
« Paul »

What was the one good one?