A T4 swap into a T1 engine bay just got easier!

Old February 5th 05, 09:23 AM
Red Bug

In article <oFZMd.1323$Mw3.401@amstwist00>,
"P.J.Berg" > wrote:

> The fastest top speed I have done (on four wheels) was an old 944 early,
> think it sported 163 or something, we did 237 Km/h with four people and the
> front lights up, had to brake for a slower car changing lanes, this was
> approaching Gøteborg (Gothenborg) in Sweden.

I've done just over 230 KPH in my 5 SPD '99 Mazda 626 V6 on a back paved
road in S. Alberta... I wouldn't want to do that again without some way
to push the car harder down onto the road (wings, dams, whatever). In
fifth gear, the tach. was close to the 7,000 RPM redline. I suppose it
would have gone faster but I decided I didn't have tires rated high
enough for this! ;-)

And no, the car has not been tuned up... straight stock... a really nice
daily driver -- esp. at 125 KPH (normal freeway speed in Alberta).

--
___
|___| '61 - VW
Old February 5th 05, 09:43 AM
P.J.Berg

Red Bug wrote:
> In article <oFZMd.1323$Mw3.401@amstwist00>,
> "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
>
>> The fastest top speed I have done (on four wheels) was an old 944
>> early, think it sported 163 or something, we did 237 Km/h with four
>> people and the front lights up, had to brake for a slower car
>> changing lanes, this was approaching Gøteborg (Gothenborg) in Sweden.

> I've done just over 230 KPH in my 5 SPD '99 Mazda 626 V6 on a back
> paved road in S. Alberta... I wouldn't want to do that again without
> some way to push the car harder down onto the road (wings, dams,
> whatever). In fifth gear, the tach. was close to the 7,000 RPM
> redline. I suppose it would have gone faster but I decided I didn't
> have tires rated high enough for this! ;-)
>
> And no, the car has not been tuned up... straight stock... a really
> nice daily driver -- esp. at 125 KPH (normal freeway speed in
> Alberta).

Sounds like a fast Mazda, no experience myself, had an old Honda Accord
which is the only vehicle I've been in/on where I did not go flat out
seeking top speed(And I have done a "few"(Yup, I know it sounds like
adolecent(SP?) bragery))..(This instance was a very long downhill in Sweden,
known as Hallands åsen (The Halland Ridge)) going downhill I passed 180-200
something and it sounded as it was about to blow up in a serious way!
Steering wheel felt detached from the wheels.. Old family saloon...

My "worst" as a youngster was my fathers Merc station wagon,which with close
to zero miles on the clock,I had past 180 just after he took delivery..
)

When I was real young and stupid I once did 156 downtown in a 50 speed
limit, still here to waffle about it..

The old 944 I mentioned(as a modell) earlier, is a car I truly enjoy, still
to this day! Even my mother got herself one at the age of 50 something, had
to let it go though unfortunately, due to lack of power steering and
arthritis(SP?)

Felt very much like a go-kart, also one of their best engine designs ever,
according to those in the know(Basicly a half (1/2)928 engine))

J.

Old February 5th 05, 10:48 AM
David Gravereaux

P.J.Berg wrote:
> David Gravereaux wrote:
>
> P.J.Berg wrote:
>

>>So are you one of the lucky few?? )
>>To own one that is..

> Me? Yes, serial #2004007, Jake's 2270cc "C" version installed in my
> '73 Super Beetle.
>
> --
> David Gravereaux >
> [species:human; planet:earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha
> sector]
>

> Exellent!

> Are you happy with the outcome vs. price?

I'm very happy with the results. The price.. baaa.. I look at results.
I saved, afforded it, bought it, and have it.

> Does it pull like you expected? What sort of tranny/axel setup are you
> running? No problems with cv's yet?

It has a *whole* lotta pull. Only 2K miles on the engine so far and put
1K of that over the last couple weeks. Keeping the frame horns in their
place is the prep work one needs to do. CVs are doing fine. A friend
compared my acceleration in fourth is nearly like his in third.

Tranny is Jake's "B" transaxle setup with gearing specific for my tire
size and the output of the engine. IOW, a matched set. And it is
matched. Power output is from 2K up to 6.5K and it's all smooth is very
wide. At first, it was odd getting used to nothing below 2K. This
engine doesn't lug at all. I just had to shift my behavior and let the
engine spin because that's where it loves it. The bark from the webers
is music and loader than my exhaust

The car effortlessly goes to 100mph. I fear going faster without
dropping the front and adding a spoiler as the steering gets looser the
faster I go (even with 120lbs of sandbags in the bonnet). From what I
hear, bugs have an aerodynamic brick wall @ 117mph without the use of a
whale tail. But I'll keep that silly behavior on a track, not the streets.

I want to keep it a sleeper, though, and might not ever add the spoiler,
skirts, front drop kit and tail.

hmm.. I'll probably drop the front a couple inches though..

My main effort right now is getting the handling better. When I drop
hammer the car pulls to the left a bit, and when I let off it pulls to
the right, so either my rear toe is off or the spring plate bushings are
mushy. And I know for a fact my right stub axle is bent which I need to
swap soon as it's causing a shake on the highway.

> Sorrrry about all the questions and lack of personal content, about to crash
> here after a "Friday out"

> Take care.

> Jørn.

- --

Old February 5th 05, 10:57 AM
P.J.Berg

David Gravereaux wrote:

> P.J.Berg wrote:
>> David Gravereaux wrote:
>>
>> P.J.Berg wrote:
>>

>>> So are you one of the lucky few?? )
>>> To own one that is..

>> Me? Yes, serial #2004007, Jake's 2270cc "C" version installed in my
>> '73 Super Beetle.
>>
>> --
>> David Gravereaux >
>> [species:human; planet:earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha
>> sector]
>>

>> Exellent!

>> Are you happy with the outcome vs. price?

> I'm very happy with the results. The price.. baaa.. I look at
> results. I saved, afforded it, bought it, and have it.
>
>> Does it pull like you expected? What sort of tranny/axel setup are
>> you running? No problems with cv's yet?

> It has a *whole* lotta pull. Only 2K miles on the engine so far and
> put 1K of that over the last couple weeks. Keeping the frame horns
> in their place is the prep work one needs to do. CVs are doing fine.
> A friend compared my acceleration in fourth is nearly like his in
> third.
>
> Tranny is Jake's "B" transaxle setup with gearing specific for my tire
> size and the output of the engine. IOW, a matched set. And it is
> matched. Power output is from 2K up to 6.5K and it's all smooth is
> very wide. At first, it was odd getting used to nothing below 2K.
> This
> engine doesn't lug at all. I just had to shift my behavior and let
> the engine spin because that's where it loves it. The bark from the
> webers
> is music and loader than my exhaust
>
> The car effortlessly goes to 100mph. I fear going faster without
> dropping the front and adding a spoiler as the steering gets looser
> the faster I go (even with 120lbs of sandbags in the bonnet). From
> what I hear, bugs have an aerodynamic brick wall @ 117mph without the
> use of a whale tail. But I'll keep that silly behavior on a track,
> not the streets.
>
> I want to keep it a sleeper, though, and might not ever add the
> spoiler, skirts, front drop kit and tail.
>
> hmm.. I'll probably drop the front a couple inches though..
>
> My main effort right now is getting the handling better. When I drop
> hammer the car pulls to the left a bit, and when I let off it pulls to
> the right, so either my rear toe is off or the spring plate bushings
> are mushy. And I know for a fact my right stub axle is bent which I
> need to swap soon as it's causing a shake on the highway.
>
>> Sorrrry about all the questions and lack of personal content, about
>> to crash here after a "Friday out"

>> Take care.

>> Jørn.

> - --
> David Gravereaux >
> [species:human; planet:earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha
> sector]

Sounds like fun.
For handeling a Beetle should always be 1 to 2 inches taller at the front,
critical stability is reached at aprox 175 kp/h, a small lip at top of the
roof just above the rear window breaks the lift, no need for hideous whale
tails..

There is an Australian guy who does hillclimbing in a beetle who has posted
all his specks(Camber, caster and Ackermann etc...), cant think of the addy
now, but try a google for beetle and hillclimb.

:

Old February 5th 05, 10:33 PM
David Gravereaux

Old February 6th 05, 05:42 AM

My 2.0 914 in my bug has over 50k on the engine and by playing with it,
like adding a Mallory Dizzy etc. it keeps getting faster. I do not want
to go as fast as it can go. Talk about handling, it is a 74 non super
- 2 1/2" dropped front spindles, 4 wheel discs, front and rear antisway
bars, KYB Gas Adjust Shocks and 196 60 15 tires. But still speeds
above 85mph are scary. If you think about it, a 914 2.0 could do 126mph
and it weighted 400 lbs more then my bug. I love it. Check out the
photos at my site www.nextgen-usa.com . The car is a show winner also.
Due to the use of some bus gears in my bug it is doing 3000rpm at
70mph. Easy to keep up with traffic and blowing away the unexpected is
my type of fun. I am not an off the line racer, T-4 are more for high
speed road racing. After all the engine was built for a two ton bus,it
is hardly working in a 1700 bug.

Joe Cali
Next Generation - USA

Old February 19th 05, 05:31 AM