E34 front damper

Old March 20th 06, 07:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E34 front damper

Anyone replaced a front damper on an E34? (1991 525i M50.) How difficult
was it?

Euro Car Parts have a Bilstein for £42 and a Boge/Sachs for £52. Any
preferences? I think Boge was OEM. The part is £105 from BMW and they
couldn't tell me who made it.

English damper = US shock absorber

Old March 20th 06, 08:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Its my understanding the BMW "dampers" are made by Boge. Its
interesting that Bilsteins cost you *less* than OEM Boge/Sachs shocks,
unless you're looking at the lower cost Bilstein "Touring."

As to how difficult it is to replace, its definitely do-able:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...ont_shocks.htm

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_27.htm

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ewinstonfo...eplacement.htm

Good Luck!

Old March 20th 06, 09:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"bfd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Its my understanding the BMW "dampers" are made by Boge. Its
> interesting that Bilsteins cost you *less* than OEM Boge/Sachs shocks,
> unless you're looking at the lower cost Bilstein "Touring."
>
> As to how difficult it is to replace, its definitely do-able:

Without an oxy torch, it can be a *real* ******* getting the retaining
collar off the strut to remove the shock insert.

> http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...ont_shocks.htm
>
> http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_27.htm
>
> http://home.comcast.net/%7Ewinstonfo...eplacement.htm
>
> Good Luck!

Indeed!

JB

Old March 20th 06, 10:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"bfd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Its my understanding the BMW "dampers" are made by Boge. Its
> interesting that Bilsteins cost you *less* than OEM Boge/Sachs shocks,
> unless you're looking at the lower cost Bilstein "Touring."

Yes, I've heard Bilsteins are more highly regarded than Boge in the USA, but
here they seem to be cheaper. Always have been when I've seen them.

I'll get the Bilstein on the basis that I save a tenner, unless someone
comes up with a good reason not to.

The Bilstein is described as "B4 GAS" and the Boge has no other description.
For some reason they list a "standard" and "sport" for both makes but with
the same part numbers and price in each case.

> As to how difficult it is to replace, its definitely do-able:

Thanks. It'll probably be a horrible, horrible job like every other
suspension job I've done, but such is life. I've had this car 3 1/2 years
now and the most major thing I've replaced is the rear exhaust section, so
it's not doing badly.

Old March 20th 06, 10:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dan Buchan wrote:
> Anyone replaced a front damper on an E34? (1991 525i M50.) How difficult
> was it?

Been there, done that. It is not an easy job. Requires some special
tools. First off you will need some stout sockets and breaker bar to
get the strut off the wheel hub carrier. Then you need a set of spring
compressors for the struts. I then used a large stilson (pipe) wrench
to remove the big nut on the top of the strut housing to get the dampers
out of the housings. I got new nuts with the new dampers anyway. You
will need a torque wrench for reassembly.

I think I did the fronts and also the backs all in one long Saturday
session, but I was taking my time, especially with the spring compressor.

> Euro Car Parts have a Bilstein for £42 and a Boge/Sachs for £52. Any
> preferences? I think Boge was OEM. The part is £105 from BMW and they
> couldn't tell me who made it.

I put Bilstein Tourings in my E34. They were great and I recommend them
highly. You are correct, Boge/Sachs was OEM. Get the Bilsteins. You
won't regret it...

--
-Fred W
Old March 20th 06, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

JB wrote:

> Without an oxy torch, it can be a *real* ******* getting the retaining
> collar off the strut to remove the shock insert.

I did not need any heat at all, just a BFW (Big F***ing Wrench),
actually I used a pipe wrench on the bugger.

But if you did want to heat the nut (more of a collar nut actually) I'm
sure a regular propane torch would do just fine.

--
-Fred W
Old March 21st 06, 01:54 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
Dan Buchan > wrote:
> Anyone replaced a front damper on an E34? (1991 525i M50.) How
> difficult was it?

With all strut suspension it depends on how easily the insert retaining
ring comes off. Apart from compressing the spring, obviously. Helped with
my brother's '87 E28 a few years ago and one was easy - the other a real
pain. It needed lots of heat and a large Stillson. But think it would have
been easier if I'd had access to my own tools instead of being 500 miles
from them.

Did my much older 'other' car a couple of years ago and they came out
easily.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.