Am I the first to ask ....?

Old July 12th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Remove This

Default Am I the first to ask ....?

'06 MX5/GT, On the Visors, what is that funky cutout in the mirror doors for
???
Doesn't hold the keyless entry card, as I thought it might.

If you don't know, I'll accept all "creative uses", in good humor...

Peace/Out.

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

Old July 12th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Doug Wilson

My registration and insurance cards fit neatly up there.

Old July 12th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Doug,

I am not sure where you live, but "we" are told by the police, "do not
leave your registeraion where a person can find it in your car !" If
your car is parked some place, in a lot or at an event, a person can
break in and get your address. They know you are not home, so your home
is a perfect target. I have had this happen to a friend of mine. When he
reported the car break in, the police sent a car directly to his house
only to be too late to catch the person that broke in. I have my
insurance card and registration are in a safe place. Just tell the
police where it is and you or they can go get it.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old July 13th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Doug Wilson

I got in the habit of keeping the registration in the vehicle when I was
married.

That way, even if the Missus had my vehicle, the registration was with it...

Now that I'm single again, I guess that's a habit that needs breaking.

Thanks, Bruce.

Old July 13th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Doug Wilson" > wrote in
news
> I got in the habit of keeping the registration in the vehicle when
> I was married.
>
> That way, even if the Missus had my vehicle, the registration was
> with it...
>
> Now that I'm single again, I guess that's a habit that needs
> breaking.

It's a bad habit but... it's required by law in many states so check
the law in your state:

http://www.llsdc.org/sourcebook/state-leg.htm

Oh, and save that link, if you're ever cited for any violation you need
to check the specific statute listed on the ticket, you'd be surprised
how often the cite is in error!

Old July 13th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

XS11E > wrote in
:

> "Doug Wilson" > wrote in
> news >
>> I got in the habit of keeping the registration in the vehicle
>> when I was married.
>>
>> That way, even if the Missus had my vehicle, the registration was
>> with it...
>>
>> Now that I'm single again, I guess that's a habit that needs
>> breaking.

> It's a bad habit but... it's required by law in many states so
> check the law in your state:
>
> http://www.llsdc.org/sourcebook/state-leg.htm
>
> Oh, and save that link, if you're ever cited for any violation you
> need to check the specific statute listed on the ticket, you'd be
> surprised how often the cite is in error!

Just for reference, here's the applicable Arizona law, notice paragraph
"C":

28-2158. Registration card

A. The department shall file each application for registration. If
satisfied that the application is genuine and regular, the department
shall issue a registration card to the owner of the vehicle and shall
assign license plates to the vehicle.

B. The registration card shall contain on the face of the card all of
the following:

1. The date it is issued.

2. The registration number assigned to the owner and the vehicle.

3. The name and address of the owner.

4. A description of the registered vehicle, including the serial
number.

5. The amount of fees paid for registration of the vehicle.

C. The registration card shall be carried at all times in the driver's
compartment of the vehicle for which it is issued. The registration
card is subject to inspection by the director, members of the highway
patrol or any peace officer.

(It's not specifically stated but some folks carry the registration in
their wallet when riding a motorcycle since there's really no other
place to put it and that will be legal for a car as well since you are
in the driver's compartment. But your wife will get locked up if she
gets stopped and the registration is in your wallet and you're not in
the car....)

Old July 13th 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Yep, that's about the same as it is in Washington.
The police just said not to have it where someone will find it easy. The
Miata has some very good places to "store" the Registration and
Insurance cards with out putting them in plain sight. In the "old days"
'30's, '40's and '50's, the law was to have them in sight from the
outside. The common place was a "gizzmo" that held it on the steering
wheel shaft cover. When the cars started to get automatics, that cover
got too large and then had turn signal arms in the way. The next "good
idea" :-) was to have a little container that was slid onto the sun
visor. I would guess that Mazda was trying to use that idea on the 2006.
Don't do it !! Put it away some place where the crooks won't see it.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old July 13th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> I am not sure where you live, but "we" are told by the police, "do not
> leave your registeraion where a person can find it in your car !" If
> your car is parked some place, in a lot or at an event, a person can
> break in and get your address. They know you are not home, so your home
> is a perfect target.

"Perfect" in the "if my Doberman wasn't there, and my NRA-chapter-pres
roommate with his Humvee and AK47 wasn't there, and the neighbors weren't
out on their porch watching" sense, I suppose. Just because one vehicle is
at an event, it doesn't tell them much.

miker

Old July 14th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
betrtimes

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> Doug,
>
> I am not sure where you live, but "we" are told by the police, "do not
> leave your registeraion where a person can find it in your car !" If
> your car is parked some place, in a lot or at an event, a person can
> break in and get your address. They know you are not home, so your
> home is a perfect target. I have had this happen to a friend of mine.
> When he reported the car break in, the police sent a car directly to
> his house only to be too late to catch the person that broke in. I
> have my insurance card and registration are in a safe place. Just
> tell the police where it is and you or they can go get it.
>
> Bruce Bing '03 LS

not a problem. insurance card, and vehicle registration come back to a P.O.
Box for me......

Old July 14th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"betrtimes" > wrote in
:

> not a problem. insurance card, and vehicle registration come back
> to a P.O. Box for me......

Absolutely illegal here and probably in many other states.