2004 Jeep GC 4X4 stalls on city road

Old December 7th 04, 03:25 PM
uniskae

Default 2004 Jeep GC 4X4 stalls on city road

I was in stop-and-go traffic and the Jeep engine simply turned off. I
shifted the gear into Park and turned the key a few times. The
alternator would rotate, however, the engine would not start. I waited
for 15 seconds and turned the key and this time the engine started.
Otherwise, the Jeep runs great. Any insights? Should I take the Jeep to
the dealer? The Jeep has about 8000 miles on it. Thank yo

Old December 7th 04, 04:13 PM
Jerry Bransford

Which engine?

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old December 7th 04, 05:19 PM
uniskae

>From the Window sticker:

The Engine is 4.0L Power Tech I-6. Transmission 4 speed Automatic 42RE.

Select-Trac Full time 4WD system. Also, the optional Quadra-Trac II On
Demand 4WD System.

V6 195 HP (I believe)

Old December 7th 04, 05:50 PM
Snow

"> The Engine is 4.0L Power Tech I-6. Transmission 4 speed Automatic 42RE.
> V6 195 HP (I believe)

Uhmm just so ya know when your talking about your jeep, the 4.0 is a
straight 6 not a V6. no biggy but it does make a difference.

Snow...

Old December 8th 04, 12:26 AM
Jerry Bransford

Based on it being the 4.0L engine, it could be the crankshaft position
sensor. This is a small $70 or so sensor that picks up pulses off the
flywheel, which provides the master timing signal for the entire engine.
They are known to fail, enough so that I carry a spare... even though
mine hasn't failed in 144K miles. While it's not difficult to change,
it is a bit of a job for a contortionist since it is up high on the
driver's side of the bell housing. A check of your diagnostic codes by
turning the ignition key on-off-on three times within five seconds and
leaving the key on will cause any stored diagnostic codes to appear in
your odometer in 3-5 seconds (wait for them).

If you see a 320, 1391, or a 1398 code, that definitely indicates the
CPS (or possibly the camshaft position sensor) has had recent problems.

Jerry

Old February 2nd 05, 01:38 AM
uniskae

Thanks for all the insightful responses folks! Just a follow up: the
Jeep has never stalled since I posted this problem. After a highway
drive, the RPM is less than 500 in stop-and-go traffic, which is
believe is low. And, after a highway drive, when I have to idle, it
seems the engine will stall any moment. I sense that the engine will
stall some time, however, hopefully, not in a busy and fast-traffic
scenario.

This is a great newsgroup with a lot of knowledgable people providing
valuable input. I will volunteer my expertise, though, due to my
Jeep-ignorance, probably not in this group. Keep it up folks!