Clarkeson in a good mood

Old April 26th 04, 10:34 PM
Steve Haigh

Default Clarkeson in a good mood

Jeremy Clarkson* wrote an article in last Sunday's Times. Of interest
(a) because he was actually quite nice about a car and (b) the car was
an Alfa.

OK, to be precise the car was a 328bhp Autodelta 147 GTA. He quite liked
it - quoting his article: "Mad amount of power and astounding grip make
this the hottest hatch ever", 4 stars out of 5.

He also seemed mildly keen on the 166: "It had a soul, that car ... a
real, genuine character that somehow managed to turn every mile of the
journey into a heart-warming event".

I admit Clarkson is not everyone's cup of tea (me included), but it's
worth checking the article anyway. It's certainly more interesting to
Alfa fans than his normal hyperbole and metaphor homework exercise.

Web site: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...085010,00.html

Steve

* Apologies to non-UK readers who have never heard of him. He's a bit of
a character in the UK motoring media, to say the least.
Old April 26th 04, 11:09 PM
Alfistagj

"Steve Haigh" > schreef in bericht

> * Apologies to non-UK readers who have never heard of him. He's a bit of
> a character in the UK motoring media, to say the least.

Well at least in Holland Jeremy is considered one of few independent car
journalists (or "entertainer"???)
Where most "real" journalists never burn a car down to the ground because
they will be ignored by the car manufacturer the next time, Jeremy is always
very clear in what he says/writes.
I suppose he was the only one to really trash the 350Z!!
And, to be honest, what's nicer than looking at a multi car test on TV
between an Golf VR6, (If I recall correctly) Clio Turbo and the 147GTA
having the reporter (Jeremy) praise both Golf and Clio about their quality
etc. complaining about the GTA's depreciation, brake pad and tyre wear and
conluding that the only one of the 3 he would buy is the ............ GTA!!!
Why:
Because it's the only "car" of the 3!
I love him!
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old April 27th 04, 10:10 AM
Tom Boltwood

> From: Steve Haigh >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:34:52 +0100
> Subject: Clarkeson in a good mood
>
> Jeremy Clarkson* wrote an article in last Sunday's Times. Of interest
> (a) because he was actually quite nice about a car and (b) the car was
> an Alfa.
>
> OK, to be precise the car was a 328bhp Autodelta 147 GTA. He quite liked
> it - quoting his article: "Mad amount of power and astounding grip make
> this the hottest hatch ever", 4 stars out of 5.
>
> He also seemed mildly keen on the 166: "It had a soul, that car ... a
> real, genuine character that somehow managed to turn every mile of the
> journey into a heart-warming event".
>
> I admit Clarkson is not everyone's cup of tea (me included), but it's
> worth checking the article anyway. It's certainly more interesting to
> Alfa fans than his normal hyperbole and metaphor homework exercise.
>
> Web site: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...085010,00.html
>
> Steve
>
> * Apologies to non-UK readers who have never heard of him. He's a bit of
> a character in the UK motoring media, to say the least.

I'm a very big fan of his. I think he's an excellent writer, and also very
honest about the cars he tests. I can see why people wouldn't like him. He
loves Alfas by the way.

Old April 27th 04, 12:27 PM
Jacopo

I find that UK Guys are really nice. Not only they dislike german cars, but
they like italian cars. Mr. Clarkson, about the 166 3.0 V6: '...there are
better saloon cars: but not many.'
I finally like J. Clarkson very much.

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia

Old April 27th 04, 04:41 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:45:48 +0100
> Subject: Clarkeson in a good mood
>
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:34:52 +0100, Steve Haigh
> >, wrote:
>
> SNIP
>> I admit Clarkson is not everyone's cup of tea (me included), but it's
>> worth checking the article anyway. It's certainly more interesting to
>> Alfa fans than his normal hyperbole and metaphor homework exercise.
>>
>> Web site: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...085010,00.html
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> * Apologies to non-UK readers who have never heard of him. He's a bit of
>> a character in the UK motoring media, to say the least.

> Mr C is a European - he even made a TV series to prove it <ROF>
> Driving around France, Spain, Italy, Germany in an E type and
> meeting and greeting the people. Brilliant series.

Was that the one where he ate an Ortolan?

Old April 27th 04, 05:17 PM
Alfistagj

"Tom Boltwood" > schreef in bericht

> Was that the one where he ate an Ortolan?

Yes, and cockroaches, worms and Italian cars..........

Old April 28th 04, 08:56 AM
Halmyre

Steve Haigh > wrote in message >...
> Jeremy Clarkson* wrote an article in last Sunday's Times. Of interest
> (a) because he was actually quite nice about a car and (b) the car was
> an Alfa.
>
> OK, to be precise the car was a 328bhp Autodelta 147 GTA. He quite liked
> it - quoting his article: "Mad amount of power and astounding grip make
> this the hottest hatch ever", 4 stars out of 5.
>
> He also seemed mildly keen on the 166: "It had a soul, that car ... a
> real, genuine character that somehow managed to turn every mile of the
> journey into a heart-warming event".
>
> I admit Clarkson is not everyone's cup of tea (me included), but it's
> worth checking the article anyway. It's certainly more interesting to
> Alfa fans than his normal hyperbole and metaphor homework exercise.
>
> Web site: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...085010,00.html
>
> Steve
>
> * Apologies to non-UK readers who have never heard of him. He's a bit of
> a character in the UK motoring media, to say the least.

I would like to remind everyone that Mr Clarkson once torched an Alfa
on TV - oh, wait that was an Arna...no harm done...

Halmyre
Old April 28th 04, 10:51 AM
Ross

"Steve Haigh" > wrote in message
> > He also seemed mildly keen on the 166: "It had a soul, that car ... a

> real, genuine character that somehow managed to turn every mile of the
> journey into a heart-warming event".

And I see his side-kick from Top Gear, Richard Hammond is tipping the 166 as
a future classic in an article in the Carole Nash Insurance magazine.

"The Alfa 166 is rare and whilst it may not be jaw-droppingly beautiful
today, it will be in the future."

Regards
Ross
147 1.6 Lusso

Old April 29th 04, 08:37 AM
Ross

"Pete" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:51:17 +0100, "Ross"
> >, wrote:
>
> >And I see his side-kick from Top Gear, Richard Hammond is tipping the 166

as
> >a future classic

> I assume that this is the little lad that is always teased about boy-bands
> and uttering nonsense!!

That's the one!

Regards
Ross

Old May 18th 04, 09:54 AM
MeatballTurbo

In article >, iowna156
@alfa.com says...
> I assume that this is the little lad that is always teased about boy-bands
> and uttering nonsense!!

And shirts
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com