Loose steering wheel

Old July 8th 05, 03:46 PM
player615

Default Loose steering wheel

I have a 1994 Chrysler Concorde
It has excessive up and down play on
the steering wheel I can still adjust the position
by using the lever but the play is still there.
Is this acommon complaint or do I have something to worry about?

Old July 8th 05, 06:56 PM
maxpower

"player615" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I have a 1994 Chrysler Concorde
> It has excessive up and down play on
> the steering wheel I can still adjust the position
> by using the lever but the play is still there.
> Is this acommon complaint or do I have something to worry about?

A common complaint, No.
Something to worry about? I would say anytime your steering wheel is loose
it would be something to worry about.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 8th 05, 09:25 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, player615 wrote:

> I have a 1994 Chrysler Concorde
> It has excessive up and down play on
> the steering wheel I can still adjust the position
> by using the lever but the play is still there.
> Is this acommon complaint or do I have something to worry about?

Your steering column is coming apart. This is a safety problem. Repair or
replace the steering column immediately.

Old July 9th 05, 12:31 AM
maxpower

lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 9th 05, 08:10 AM
Joe

Yeah, I agree. Mine doesn't do that. On the tilt wheel, obviously there is a
mechanism that does move, but when it locks in position it doesn't move much
at all.

Old July 9th 05, 01:47 PM
Bill Putney

My '99 Concorde has (for as long as I can remember) had a very slight
knock in the column whenever side force is put on the steering wheel
(only when pushed with moderate force from one side to the other) - no
noise on up and down forces. Most people probably wouldn't notice it.

From playing with it, I figure it has to be some minimal side-to-side
play in the tilt joint. It hasn't gotten any worse, and I can't see it
as something that I should panic over and replace the column for.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')