Bimbo, Yakking on Her Cell Phone, Drives Through Store's Front Window

Old September 14th 06, 02:33 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
morticide

Default Bimbo, Yakking on Her Cell Phone, Drives Through Store's Front Window

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> KTLA is reporting this morning that a woman who was parked in front of
> a check cashing store in Van Nuys and talking on her cell phone, put
> her white Lexus into Drive instead of Reverse and drove right through
> the store's front window. Fortunately no one was hurt.
> --
> I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

Anyone who can afford a Lexus should be able to foot the bill for the
damages without a lawsuit.

Old September 14th 06, 02:56 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

morticide wrote:
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> > KTLA is reporting this morning that a woman who was parked in front of
> > a check cashing store in Van Nuys and talking on her cell phone, put
> > her white Lexus into Drive instead of Reverse and drove right through
> > the store's front window. Fortunately no one was hurt.
> > --
> > I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

> Anyone who can afford a Lexus should be able to foot the bill for the
> damages without a lawsuit.

What a silly statement. Maybe the bimbo spends all of her extra
income on the Lexus.

Old September 14th 06, 02:59 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Harry K

Larry Bud wrote:
> morticide wrote:
> > Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> > > KTLA is reporting this morning that a woman who was parked in front of
> > > a check cashing store in Van Nuys and talking on her cell phone, put
> > > her white Lexus into Drive instead of Reverse and drove right through
> > > the store's front window. Fortunately no one was hurt.
> > > --
> > > I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

> > Anyone who can afford a Lexus should be able to foot the bill for the
> > damages without a lawsuit.

> What a silly statement. Maybe the bimbo spends all of her extra
> income on the Lexus.

Probably splits her income paying on the lexus and her phone bill

Harry K

Old September 14th 06, 03:39 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
morticide

Harry K wrote:
> Larry Bud wrote:
> > morticide wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyone who can afford a Lexus should be able to foot the bill for the
> > > damages without a lawsuit.

> > What a silly statement. Maybe the bimbo spends all of her extra
> > income on the Lexus.

> Probably splits her income paying on the lexus and her phone bill
>
> Harry K

Perhaps her phone call was to refinance the Lexus...in case of
accident?

Old September 14th 06, 05:42 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Geoff Miller

Larry Bud > writes:

> What a silly statement. Maybe the bimbo spends all of her extra
> income on the Lexus.

It's certainly no sillier than your inclination to give her the
benefit of the doubt. After all, you have no more information
about her than morticide does. And which situation do you think
is more likely: someone owning a Lexus because they can afford
to, or someone owning a Lexus because they spend all their extra
income on it? Did the excerpt even state whether it was a late-
model Lexus?

Geoff

--
"Black is the color of nonconformity. Everyone
has to have it." -- T-shirt company executive

Old September 14th 06, 10:29 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Geoff Miller > wrote:

>It's certainly no sillier than your inclination to give her the
>benefit of the doubt. After all, you have no more information
>about her than morticide does. And which situation do you think
>is more likely: someone owning a Lexus because they can afford
>to, or someone owning a Lexus because they spend all their extra
>income on it?

In the case of a Lexus parked outside a check cashing place, I'd bet
on the latter. Lexus owners who can afford it don't go into that part
of town. Unless they own the check-cashing place, I suppose.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old September 15th 06, 06:28 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Scott en Aztlán
said in rec.autos.driving:
> This is one instance where I'm sorry to be right:
>
> http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-cellph...newsspecial3-1
>
> State Takes Hands-off Policy For Cellphones

<snip article>

Just curious, but how big of a kick back will the governazi and the
legislosers be getting from the makers of "hands free," devices? Ever
think that this woman who hit the store window was a plant?

--
'And then we wonder why the UFO's won't
stop by and say hello..."
Old September 15th 06, 06:35 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Eeyore[_1_]

necromancer wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Scott en Aztlán
> said in rec.autos.driving:
> > This is one instance where I'm sorry to be right:
> >
> > http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-cellph...newsspecial3-1
> >
> > State Takes Hands-off Policy For Cellphones

> <snip article>
>
> Just curious, but how big of a kick back will the governazi and the
> legislosers be getting from the makers of "hands free," devices?

When the similar law was passed in the UK, filling stations quickly had basic £5.99
hands free kits for the major brands of mobiles.

> Ever
> think that this woman who hit the store window was a plant?

Not me.

Graham

Old September 15th 06, 11:31 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Ad absurdum per aspera

> California Highway Patrol data from 2004 show police reports for 775
> accidents in which a driver at fault was using a hand-held cellphone.
> There were only 28 reports of accidents in which drivers using
> hands-free phones were to blame. Preliminary data from last year show
> a similar pattern.

The statistics above don't mean much without data on the number of
drivers who use or don't use the kits. I.e., we know how many of each
kind had accidents, but what proportion of the total was that?

My gut feeling is that hands-free kits do improve safety -- and
abstaining from using the phone while driving improves it even more, of
course.) FWIW, my employer forbids us to use the phone while driving
on company business -- we're supposed to find a safe place to pull
over or wait until the trip has ended.

Maybe I'm just slower than your average bear, but my experiments with
talking on the phone while behind the wheel have been kinda scary. My
brain goes off into the ozone to a degree that doesn't seem to happen
with in-car distractions -- even conversation. How to describe it?
It's as if I see things happening on the other side of the windshield,
but don't twig to the fact that they apply to me. Probably good for
me in reasons besides safety; modern life offers too many opportunities
to avoid Being Right Here Now even without a cell phone...

Reminds me, gotta look in on what the close-calls study at
http://www.nearmiss-report.org has to say, if anything yet, about cell
phones.

Have a safe weekend,
--Joe