Do you back into your driveway?

Old July 14th 05, 02:06 PM
Doug Miller

In article >, asian_guy wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:18:24 -0400, Kevin Spencer >
>wrote:
>
>>I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
>>driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
>>"was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.

>"Going to a fire"? What does that mean?

It means "leaving in a hurry".

--
Regards,

Old July 14th 05, 02:16 PM
Matt

Kevin Spencer wrote:
> I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
> moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and
> I have never had my own driveway before this move. I find
> myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, so when
> it's time for me to go anywhere, I can pull out forward, and
> I won't have to worry about backing into a small child or
> another vehicle.
>
> I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
> driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
> "was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
> Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
> unusual?
>
> Kevin Spencer

I back into my driveway because it is easier to pull out into traffic
then backout... it's easier to block traffic for a moment when pulling
in (if I need to.. the street is not traveled much)... also.. there is
less of a chance of something being in my driveway (ie child, bike, car,
etc) then on the road when I'm backing up... and as other posters have
said.. it's easier to get out in an emergency (I'm a network admin for
an ISP and sometimes need to leave in a hury)... why back out when you
need to go somewhere? why not back in when you have the time..
Old July 14th 05, 03:43 PM
Dan J.S.

<asian_guy> wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:18:24 -0400, Kevin Spencer
> >
> wrote:
>
>>I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
>>driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
>>"was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.

> "Going to a fire"? What does that mean?

Goes back to the fire fighting volunteers... thats how they would park to
get to the fire quicker...

Old July 14th 05, 03:53 PM
Ulf

Kevin Spencer wrote:
> I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently
> moved into a house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and
> I have never had my own driveway before this move. I find
> myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, so when
> it's time for me to go anywhere, I can pull out forward, and
> I won't have to worry about backing into a small child or
> another vehicle.
>
> I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
> driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
> "was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
> Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
> unusual?

It's probably safer to reverse in and drive out. Personally, I do it the
easy way and drive in. It makes backing out a bit tricky, especially if
there are a lot of parked cars on the street making it impossible to
see, but any cars coming usually stop or honk when they see me backing out.

> Kevin Spencer

Ulf
Old July 14th 05, 04:20 PM
Kendall P. Bullen

In article >,
Ivan > wrote:

> I always back in - that way the door to the house is on the driver's
> side :-)

You've just pinpointed why I normally don't back in usually, although I
never really thought about it other than it's more of a PITA to back in.
My driveway's on the opposite side of the house (compared to yours in
relation to your house).

But if I have my parents' mini-van on loan, I back in for easier

Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!
Old July 14th 05, 05:06 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

I do with the van, which even with towing mirrors and a rear-window
lens has big blind spots, for pretty much the reasons you describe.

Before backing in, I can get a good look at who or what might be in or
near the driveway (usually nothing, but as the saying goes, "assume
makes an ass out of u and me"). If there's something I have to move,
or somebody's kid is too close for comfort, or traffic coming, I can
parallel park in the mouth of the driveway until I get a handle on the
situation.

By contrast, backing out into a public street in such a vehicle,
especially in the morning when kids are walking or riding bikes to
school, drivers who are late for work and probably a little behind the
car are likely to come flying down the street, etc., strikes me as a
less controlled situation.

The other possibilities in the family are sedans and a small SUV that
have much better sight lines; I usually feel pretty good about nosing
in and backing out.

Your neighborhood may vary,
--Joe

Old July 14th 05, 05:07 PM
Joshua Putnam

I always back in when I park -- it's much easier to pull past my
driveway, make sure the driveway is clear, then back into it, than it
is to make sure the street is clear before I start, and remains clear
while I back out onto the street.

The driveway is a much more confined space, there's no other vehicle
traffic coming onto it, much less pedestrian traffic, and no room for
bicycles or skateboards to be going fast. The street has
intersections, other driveways, public sidewalks, bicycles riding on
the wrong side of the road, etc. And a motorist entering the roadway
is required to yield to all the traffic already on the roadway, so
almost any accident backing out of a driveway is going to be the
backing motorist's fault.

If I remember correctly, around 20% of all car/pedestrian accidents
are children being hit by cars backing out of driveways.

--
is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
Old July 14th 05, 05:27 PM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:18:24 -0400, someone wrote:

>Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
>unusual?

How long is your driveway?

Is it any easier to back out than in?

Most people I know, drive forward into their driveway, and then turn
around to go out forwards also.

I back my trailer into the driveway so that I can park it tight
against a building. The cars, I drive in and then turn around to go
out.

Old July 14th 05, 08:18 PM
Banty

In article >, DTJ says...

>On 13 Jul 2005 13:46:19 -0700, Banty > wrote:
>
>>>I have noticed that most others always pull forward into their
>>>driveways, in fact one neighbor did actually ask me if I
>>>"was planning to go to a fire" .... in a friendly way.
>>>Does anyone else back in to the driveway .... or am I
>>>unusual?

>>It's unusual. In fact, it's something I only did when I was part of an on-pager
>>emergency crew, so what your neighbor said is what would occur to me.

>No it is not unusual at all. And what the **** does it matter why he
>does it, you can do it your way, he can do it his.
>
>>So, let me ask you - ya pays now or ya pays later, right? Either way, there's a
>>possibility of backing into something.. when backing in, or backing out! So why
>>do you prefer to do the manuever backing in??

>Gee, maybe because you can pull up and eyeball the driveway before
>backing, and thus have a far lower chance of running over something.
>
>>For one thing, you can wait in your driveway for the traffic to clear before

>Could be days.
>
>>backing out. If you back *in*, there's the change the guy behind you will have
>>to wait, or you'll need to pull over to let him past, then do the back-in

>**** him, let him learn to drive.
>
>>maneuver. For another thing, backing out into the street takes a little less
>>care than lining up to back into most driveways, since driveways are narrower
>>than streets.

>Only for those who shouldn't be driving anyhow.

Wow. Off your meds today??

Cheers,
Banty

Old July 14th 05, 09:01 PM
hubcap

Banty > writes:
>>>Either way, there's a
>>>possibility of backing into something.. when backing in, or backing out!

I think it is easiest to make sure you don't run over the kitties
by pulling straight in... you can more easily pay attention to
whether or not they run in front of you.

Later, when leaving, you can look around for them, look to see
if they're under the car, and be pretty sure they're nowhere around
before you back out. If you fool around with the keys or something in
the car, you should get back out and check to see where the kitties are
to make sure it is still clear.

Sounds like a lot of trouble, but my kitties are unrunover as of yet.

-Mike