Q4 engine in GTV6?

Old August 31st 04, 12:46 PM
Thomas Strandtoft

George Graves wrote:

> -some engineering is required there. The intake manifold will have to be
> modified extensively by welding a "U" shaped piece of pipe on to it to
> turn the input around 180 degrees. If you don't, the air cleaner will
> end up in the glove box (on a left-hand drive car) or behind the
> dashboard of a right-hooker (where it likely won't fit).

Does the intake manifold of a GTV6 or 73 Milano fit? Fitting one
of those would cancel the need for modifications..

--
Hygge..
Thomas

<http://www.carftp.com> - a library of car videos.
Old August 31st 04, 12:52 PM
Thomas Strandtoft

Mario Orsolic wrote:

> > You can easily achieve the same power with a 3.O Liter 75 'Verde"
> > engine.

> That was my first idea - but i simply couldn't find wrecked 75.

<www.mobile.de> has a couple of cheap 75 3.0's, they are not
wrecked, but at those prices they are probably rust infected?? A
1000 euro's and you get a complete car, you even get the LSD as a
part of the deal..

Old August 31st 04, 01:46 PM
Catman

DesmaisonLCM wrote:

> Dans l'article >, Catman
> >a écrit :
>
>>> I would like to have LSD diferrential, so seems I will have to put hands
>>> on 75s one. Question is does 75 2.0TS have LSD ? Could I use complete
>>> gearbox from it ?

>>AIUI the TS does not have an LSD. Also the gearing is a bit lower. This
>>would make for a brisk car

> in France the 75 2.0TS is with a lsd differential, the same is on the 75
> turbo. (Limited Slip to 20%)

Now *that's* interesting to know. <eg>

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS (two off)
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 31st 04, 08:38 PM
Yoeri Gemeen

"Thomas Strandtoft" > schreef in bericht
> George Graves wrote:
>
> > -some engineering is required there. The intake manifold will have to be
> > modified extensively by welding a "U" shaped piece of pipe on to it to
> > turn the input around 180 degrees. If you don't, the air cleaner will
> > end up in the glove box (on a left-hand drive car) or behind the
> > dashboard of a right-hooker (where it likely won't fit).

> Does the intake manifold of a GTV6 or 73 Milano fit? Fitting one
> of those would cancel the need for modifications..

Does your 'Milano Verde' misses 2 pieces ? 73 + 2 = 75 ^^

Joe
---
164 3.0 V6
"Maybe soon" 90 2.5 V6 (maybe .......)

Old August 31st 04, 10:28 PM
George Graves

In article >,
"Mario Orsolic" > wrote:

> "George Graves" > wrote in message
>
> > You can easily achieve the same power with a 3.O Liter 75 'Verde"
> > engine.

> That was my first idea - but i simply couldn't find wrecked 75.
>
> Mario

People I know who have converted 24-valve engines for use in GTV-6's
have regretted it due to the cam belt problems (do you know that it
takes a special tool to fit one while the 12-valve belt can be fitted
with hand tools?). That's why I suggested it.

--
George Graves
------------------

Bush is a poor leader because he isn't very smart.
What's Kerry's excuse gonna be?
Old August 31st 04, 10:34 PM
George Graves

In article >,
Thomas Strandtoft > wrote:

> George Graves wrote:
>
> > -some engineering is required there. The intake manifold will have to be
> > modified extensively by welding a "U" shaped piece of pipe on to it to
> > turn the input around 180 degrees. If you don't, the air cleaner will
> > end up in the glove box (on a left-hand drive car) or behind the
> > dashboard of a right-hooker (where it likely won't fit).

> Does the intake manifold of a GTV6 or 73 Milano fit? Fitting one
> of those would cancel the need for modifications..

Physically, it will fit (IIRC) but the runners are then not long enough
for the 4-valve head design and the engine won't breath properly. This
will affect torque at the very least, what it does to horsepower, I do
not know.

--
George Graves
------------------

Old August 31st 04, 10:52 PM
George Graves

In article >,
"Mario Orsolic" > wrote:

> "George Graves" > wrote in message
>

> > Luckily, there's no distributor with the Motronic ECU system in the 164Q
> > and the lower block is the same as the block on a 3.0 Liter 75 (Milano)
> > 'Verde.' so an oil pan from one of those will fit fine.

> Just to make things clear: oil pan from GTV6 2.5 will fit ?

Oh, yes. The actual blocks of the 2.5 through the original 3.0 liter
Alfa V-6, including the 24-valve are all identical. When they bolt the
transaxle for the FWD 164 onto the engine block, they use a different
hole pattern, but this can easily be rectified. Also, don't forget that
you need a "bell housing" from either a 2.5 liter or a 3.0 liter GTV-6
or 75 engine because that carried the rear motor mount. Use all-new
motor mounts and transaxel mounts in the rear because sagging mounts
allow the drive shaft to NOT square-up with the output shaft of the
engine and the input shaft of the clutch.transmission. This is one of
the major causes for drive-shaft vibration and premature giubo (rubber
doughnut) failure in these cars. To take a look at the process of
adapting a 24-Valve Alfa V-6 to a RWD GTV go to:

http://www.apedirect.com/larryjrprojects.html

The person who did this modification is a friend of mine and I've seen
this car many times. While it did not witness the transformation, He has
explained it to me in some detail, that's how I know what needs to be
done.

--
George Graves
------------------

Old September 1st 04, 12:36 PM
Mario Orsolic

"George Graves" > wrote in message

> The person who did this modification is a friend of mine and I've seen
> this car many times. While it did not witness the transformation, He has
> explained it to me in some detail, that's how I know what needs to be
> done.

Thx a lot, George, your msgs are full of info.
After all of that, I will probably go and make prepayment for a 75 V6 in
next few hours.

Mario

Old September 1st 04, 10:28 PM
George Graves

In article >,
"Mario Orsolic" > wrote:

> "George Graves" > wrote in message
>
> > The person who did this modification is a friend of mine and I've seen
> > this car many times. While it did not witness the transformation, He has
> > explained it to me in some detail, that's how I know what needs to be
> > done.

> Thx a lot, George, your msgs are full of info.
> After all of that, I will probably go and make prepayment for a 75 V6 in
> next few hours.
>
> Mario

I think that you will be much happier in the long run. Just one more
word of advice though, When the V-6 is out of the car and sitting on the
floor, completely rebuild it. If you don't something will fail - mark my
words. 7500 kilometers ago, I put a 12-valve 3.0 liter V-6 in my GTV-6.
When I got it it had about 7000 K on it from new. An engine that new
needs no rebuilding, right? So I put some "S" cams in it and stuck it in
the car. Now, less than 7500 K later I have coolant in the oil due to a
blown-out 'O' ring on one or more of the cylinders. US$4500 to fix it!
So my engine swap has now cost me over $11,000 because I didn't rebuild
the engine when it was sitting on the floor of my mechanic's garage!
LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!

--
George Graves
------------------

Old September 2nd 04, 04:23 AM
Thomas Strandtoft

George Graves wrote:

> the car. Now, less than 7500 K later I have coolant in the oil due to a
> blown-out 'O' ring on one or more of the cylinders. US$4500 to fix it!
> So my engine swap has now cost me over $11,000 because I didn't rebuild
> the engine when it was sitting on the floor of my mechanic's garage!
> LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!

Use the chance to have the engine bored to 3.5 liters at the same
time, then it won't feel a total loss and the amount of work is
the same.. :-)