Live rock

Old February 22nd 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.misc

Default Live rock

If I put live rock in my sump do I need lights for the rock?

Old February 22nd 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.misc

Yep

Old February 23rd 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.misc

Not nescesarily, but the results will be much better if you have some
lighting. The nitrifying bacteria do not need light, but the other
"critters and stuff" that grow on live rock will not develop in the
dark.

billy

Old February 23rd 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.misc

Not nescesarily, but the results will be much better if you have some
lighting.

yep

Might as well stick some cement rocks and a bottle of filter start in your
unlit sump for the same bacteria effect.

Old February 26th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.misc

it really depends on the purpose. if you want to experiment by using live
rock to increase the surface area in your sump, then you can use them to
grow good bacteria, and for that, you dont necessarily need light. light
would definetely help though. but you sure cant expect to grow live rock,
as we know it, in a sump, with no light, and have it look like it was up in
a tank under light. hehe. it may grow some good coralline, but it will
prob be light pinkish to white, but then when placed in a good tank from
there, it should beging to get more pinkish to purplish. so would be a fun
experiment, and will add surface area to your system unless your taking it
from the tank. hehe.

..
"Terry" wrote in message

Not nescesarily, but the results will be much better if you have some
lighting.

yep

Might as well stick some cement rocks and a bottle of filter start in your
unlit sump for the same bacteria effect.

TSA live rock in March Tim / TSA Marketplace 0 February 23rd 04 01:37 PM
Cycling Live Rock with Live Sand?? Kelley Reefs 7 January 20th 04 01:56 PM
Live Rock dieing off, what next ? skozzy Reefs 3 December 14th 03 11:59 AM
Which Live Rock? Greg Bunch General 0 August 27th 03 06:09 PM
Which Live Rock? BigHaig Reefs 1 August 27th 03 12:14 AM