Deep Sand Bed No Skimmer

Old January 19th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.misc

Default Deep Sand Bed No Skimmer

I am starting a Deep Sand Bed fish only Salt water aquarium. I have a
sand bed around 4 to 4.5 inches deep, plus I have about 65 lbs of live
rock. What I was asking is a skimmer really needed to keep just fish?
Or will the Deep sand bed and live rock be good enough. I would
really like not to have a skimmer, and was wondering if this would be
ok for the fish or just a death sentence for them.

Thanks

Old February 18th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.misc

skimmer is important - live rock and sand will provide biological and
denitrification however in a FO only system the nitrate will overwhelm the
sand bed in no time.

Therefore you need a way to remove organic waste (and more likely provide
much needed 02 - you dont specify your other forms of filtration).

Good skimmers will also export phosphates, and can be used as an ozone
reactor.

Hope this helps
Pomacanthus
www.advancedaquarium.com