4.0 history

Old March 23rd 05, 05:40 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Who was talking about the four cylinder?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 23rd 05, 06:07 PM
Lee Ayrton

Historical perspective. The OP asked about the history of the 4.0L and
thought that it had been designed on a "fresh sheet of paper". I was
trying to cover all the bases and show that the 2.5L was the one
designed from the ground up and the 4.0L was based on that engineering
work. And that neither is very close kin to the 232/258.

Old March 23rd 05, 06:09 PM
Mike Romain

Close enough that the crank can be swapped over making the 4.0 a
stroker....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 23rd 05, 06:18 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/photo3.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 24th 05, 01:53 AM
Jeff DeWitt

I remember when that 4cyl came out and I swear they were saying at the
time that it was basically a 258/232 with two cylinders cut off and a
revised head. It wasn't JUST a 258/232 with two cylinders lopped off,
but basically that is what they did. The 4.0 was basically the same
engine with the two cylinders put back on.

Keep in mind when AMC designed the 4cyl they weren't exactly flush with
cash, as much as they could they had to make do with what they had. If
that wasn't the case how do you explain the Gremlin and the Spirit?

Seems to me that it's HIGHLY unlikely they would have designed a totally
new engine that would bolt up just like the old one AND would have
really major parts like the crankshaft interchangeable with the old one.

The independents had to do some VERY creative things to survive as long
as they did.

I never heard of a stroker 4.0, cool idea, I'd love to build one, then I
can REALLY **** off the Mustang crowd with my Cherokee <BG>

Jeff DeWitt

Old March 24th 05, 05:03 PM
jeff

Lee Ayrton wrote:

> Historical perspective. The OP asked about the history of the 4.0L and
> thought that it had been designed on a "fresh sheet of paper". I was
> trying to cover all the bases and show that the 2.5L was the one
> designed from the ground up and the 4.0L was based on that engineering
> work. And that neither is very close kin to the 232/258.

The 4.0 uses different castings from the 232/258, however the design was
constrained by the fact it had to run on the same transfer line. The
tooling is shared between the two designs. Given this sharing, it is
doubtful that there was any truly "blank sheet" of paper. As an aside,
the age of this tooling may be what finally leads to the discontinuation
of the Jeep I-6.
-- jeff
Old March 27th 05, 06:31 AM
Bulletsnbrains

"Jeff DeWitt" > wrote in message
om...

> I never heard of a stroker 4.0, cool idea, I'd love to build one, then I
> can REALLY **** off the Mustang crowd with my Cherokee <BG>
>
> Jeff DeWitt

Jeff,
Some links after a little google search.

Luck,
Brian

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...er40/index.asp

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...kerSummary.htm

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...d3/cored3.html

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

Old March 27th 05, 07:14 PM
Lon

Clifford Engineering, JRE, and Hesco all seem to be popular sources...

Bulletsnbrains proclaimed:

Old April 3rd 05, 01:16 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jeff,
I finally found a picture of the way your 4.0 liter engine looked
in 1927:
http://www162.pair.com/nashram/nash/...onid= &carid=
A side from the fact people nowadays want a spin on oil filter, rather
than the remote pictured. A water pump was needed for today's speeds.
And the Environmental Protection Agency did away with the side cover and
blow-by-tube.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 3rd 05, 04:34 PM
Dave Milne

A grandfathers axe job though surely ?

( this is my grandfather's axe - my dad changed the head, and I've changed
the handle).

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ