need haynes manual

Old November 21st 04, 03:51 PM
Tanya

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
<snip>

> > close
> > car runs poorly when it is cold (even without the blower (fan in the

> car)) -- it
> > *does* start with no problem ...
> > the spark plugs were changed last week (the ones that were replaced are

> VERY
> > black and were only in the car for ~ 10 months)
> >
> > i want to look at the spark plugs -- i don't know how :-)
> >

> Leave the plugs alone. If your plugs were very black when changed last week
> after only being in the engine for 10 months, then your engine is burning
> oil, unless they were the wrong plugs.

i don't know if they were the wrong plugs:
i have them and they are
NGK
BPR6EY
11
the fsm says to use:
NGK
BPR6ES - 11
i don't know whether the Y vs. S is important (because i got "champion RN9YC?"
(the box is in the car) however these are different in the last number but the
place's (where i got them) catalogue says there are fine for that auto. (should
be RN9YC4)
the former plugs are charred.
what was changed: there was <apparently> an exhaust leak which was fixed
(replacement)
and an emissions treatment (something for the oil; engine and gas) it had an oil
change
then it failed nox (>2000?) and was "readjusted" -- the place said that it had
to be reset.
it apparently passed after this

> If nothing has been changed since 10
> months
> ago other than the plugs, the ones that are in there today are rapidly on
> their way to
> getting black.

probably

> What does the inside of the end of the tailpipe look like? Is it black and
> sooty?

it became black last summer on several occasions (xs rich exhaust) so i don't
think that it is worse -- difficult to tell

> If you have the car idling in the driveway on a sunny day and someone guns
> the engine, does a big puff of stinky blueish smoke come out the back?

no (no black smoke -- no blue smoke)

> How many miles are on this 1989 Colt?

~70,000

> How many quarts of oil is this car
> going
> through in between oil changes?

hardly any -- uses VERY little oil
(also used very little fuel)

> The cold drivability problems are just a side effect, and are not important.
> They
> are probably happening because this is a high-mileage engine with worn
> rings,
> which is why it's burning oil, and the compression on this engine is in the
> toilet.
> As a result the engine systems are way out of wack, trying to overcompensate
> for
> this.

this is why i would really like to be informed since i have no idea whether
"procedures" were actually done

> If your using more than a quart of oil every 2000 miles then your not going
> fix this by adjusting and tinkering with the engine. You either need a new
> engine, or a rebuild on the one you have, or a junkyard engine that isn't
> worn
> out.

it should not need that right now ... (was kept in really good "shape")

> Ted

thanks for reply!
sincerely
Tanya

Old November 21st 04, 05:19 PM
Bill Putney

Tanya wrote:

> i don't know if they were the wrong plugs:
> i have them and they are
> NGK
> BPR6EY
> 11
> the fsm says to use:
> NGK
> BPR6ES - 11
> i don't know whether the Y vs. S is important (because i got "champion RN9YC?"
> (the box is in the car) however these are different in the last number but the
> place's (where i got them) catalogue says there are fine for that auto. (should
> be RN9YC4)
> the former plugs are charred.

A quick Google search turned up several places that say that the Y has a
V-groove around the electrode and the S does not. This particular hit:
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/d.../sprkplug.html claims that
the V-groove improves performance. I don't know if the Champions have
the groove or not (I'm confused from your post as to whether you
currently have the NGK ...Y or the Champions), but it doesn't sound like
either of the NGK or equiv. Champion plugs would be a catastrophic
mistake being that apparently the groove is the only difference between
the 'Y' and the 'S'.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old November 21st 04, 05:19 PM
Bill Putney

Old November 22nd 04, 10:28 PM
Tanya

Bill Putney wrote:

> Tanya wrote:
>
> > i don't know if they were the wrong plugs:
> > i have them and they are
> > NGK
> > BPR6EY
> > 11
> > the fsm says to use:
> > NGK
> > BPR6ES - 11
> > i don't know whether the Y vs. S is important (because i got "champion RN9YC?"
> > (the box is in the car) however these are different in the last number but the
> > place's (where i got them) catalogue says there are fine for that auto. (should
> > be RN9YC4)
> > the former plugs are charred.

> A quick Google search turned up several places that say that the Y has a
> V-groove around the electrode and the S does not. This particular hit:
> http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/d.../sprkplug.html claims that
> the V-groove improves performance. I don't know if the Champions have
> the groove or not (I'm confused from your post as to whether you
> currently have the NGK ...Y or the Champions), but it doesn't sound like
> either of the NGK or equiv. Champion plugs would be a catastrophic
> mistake being that apparently the groove is the only difference between
> the 'Y' and the 'S'.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> adddress with the letter 'x')

> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

thanks for the information
the champion RN9YC are in the car now.
the fsm recommends champion RN9YC4 -- but apparently that (the '4') makes no difference
(i assume b/c they don't exist anymore)

i found the actual car on an auto parts Web site and either the NGK BPR6EY (v-power) OR
NGK BPR6ES (standard) or the champion (without the 4 at the end) are recommended.
i don't think it is the spark plugs.
thanks very much for the link
sincerely
Tanya

Old November 22nd 04, 10:28 PM
Tanya

Old November 22nd 04, 10:36 PM
Tanya

LameBMX wrote:

> Tanya wrote:
>
> > hi
> > (x-posted)
> > i need a haynes manual for the following:
> > mitsubishi / dodge / plymouth / chrysler (same car) 1989 colt (model
> > 200) (?2000 series)
> > it has a 1.5 l engine; 4 cylinders; mpi; automatic transmission; 4 door;
> >
> > fairly urgent
> > PLEASE ADVISE!
> > thanks in advance!
> >

> if you really wish to use these manuals try your local library, from
> reading the other posts sounds as if a) you would be better off looking
> yourself and making your own gameplan to work on a vehicle (at least if
> you leave steps out or make extra steps all you can blame is yourself)
> b) pay attention to the reply about it being worn rings, could be fuel
> air mixture also albiet very unlikely

the reason that i asked the question was b/c i couldn't find either chilton's
or haynes for the particular auto. (it is registered as a plymouth; chrysler
covered the warranty; mitsubishi apparently built the engine and dodge is on
some of the paperwork.)
(wasn't sure what it was or would be wrt a book)
thank you,
Tanya

Old November 22nd 04, 10:36 PM
Tanya

Old November 22nd 04, 11:49 PM
Dan C

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:28:59 -0500, Tanya wrote:

> the champion RN9YC are in the car now. the fsm recommends champion RN9YC4
> -- but apparently that (the '4') makes no difference (i assume b/c they
> don't exist anymore)

The "4" just indicates the packaging... It means there are 4 of them in
the package. Meaningless...

Linux Registered User #327951

Old November 22nd 04, 11:49 PM
Dan C

Old November 23rd 04, 04:28 PM
Tanya

LameBMX wrote:
<snip>

> b) pay attention to the reply about it being worn rings, could be fuel
> air mixture also albiet very unlikely

just wonder about the following:
it recently failed the emissions test (only nitrous oxide though ~?2000?)
it passed hc and co -- wouldn't that rule out worn rings?