HELP!!! 87 milano 75 -Ignition Cylinder removal HINT needed !!!(legit)

Old November 3rd 04, 05:27 PM

Default HELP!!! 87 milano 75 -Ignition Cylinder removal HINT needed !!!(legit)

Lost Ignition key.
Cannot find code.
Shop will re-key if I bring in cylinder.
(housecall is EXTREMELY expensive!)

I have everything apart (what a mess!)

-do I have to drill something out?

-there is some kind of set screw from underneath but it doesn't
depress or screw out.

THere is some kind of rivet looking bolt on top, near cylinder,which i
slotted to turn, but it won't come out.

cylinder seem awfully fragile , and i'm afraid to force it .

Yeah its my car.

TIA,
Old November 10th 04, 08:32 AM
Gordon

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 06:48:52 GMT, Catman

>> Lost Ignition key.
>> Cannot find code.
>> Shop will re-key if I bring in cylinder.
>> (housecall is EXTREMELY expensive!)
>>
>> I have everything apart (what a mess!)

>Watch those set screws that hold the column shroud on.The plastic becomes
>very brittle with time and will cause all sorts of problems putting it back
>together.
>
>> -do I have to drill something out?
>>
>> -there is some kind of set screw from underneath but it doesn't
>> depress or screw out.

>That is the one I think need drilling out.

Correct: there is a screw with a breaking head that you will have to
drill out. Luckiliy, since it is supposed to break, the material the
screw is made of is quite soft. You should be able to just dril a
small hole and then pound in an old screwdriver to get it loose.

Ask the shop for a new screw to reassemble the lock!

>You *could* break the steering lock, then just stick a couple of switches
>in. I had that in the Giulietta for some years since I just couldn't be
>arsed to sort the broken ignition switch.

Crude....

>I assume that since you call it a Milano, you're in the US? Shame. I know
>a guy that could do it probably quite cheap.

Gordon

Giulietta 1.8 '82
GT Junior 2.0 '75
GT Junior 2.0 '74 (project)
Old November 10th 04, 02:34 PM
Catman

wrote:

>>> Lost Ignition key.
>>> Cannot find code.
>>> Shop will re-key if I bring in cylinder.
>>> (housecall is EXTREMELY expensive!)
>>>
>>> I have everything apart (what a mess!)

>>Watch those set screws that hold the column shroud on.The plastic becomes
>>very brittle with time and will cause all sorts of problems putting it
>>back together.
>>
>>> -do I have to drill something out?
>>>
>>> -there is some kind of set screw from underneath but it doesn't
>>> depress or screw out.

>>That is the one I think need drilling out.

> Correct: there is a screw with a breaking head that you will have to
> drill out. Luckiliy, since it is supposed to break, the material the
> screw is made of is quite soft. You should be able to just dril a
> small hole and then pound in an old screwdriver to get it loose.
>
> Ask the shop for a new screw to reassemble the lock!
>
>>You *could* break the steering lock, then just stick a couple of switches
>>in. I had that in the Giulietta for some years since I just couldn't be
>>arsed to sort the broken ignition switch.

> Crude....

But functional. It also stopped any local scrotes from hotwireing it. And
a Big Red engine start button was quite cool

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old November 11th 04, 06:37 PM
Nick Brooker

Completely off topic..

Catman wrote:

> But functional. It also stopped any local scrotes from hotwireing it. And
> a Big Red engine start button was quite cool

I thought scrotes was a termed only used down in this part os the world.
When the lovely locals tried to screwdriver the driver's lock on my old
33, wank-stain was I believe was the term used.

Good to see abuse is international :-)
Old November 11th 04, 07:17 PM
Catman

Nick Brooker wrote:

> Completely off topic..
>
> Catman wrote:
>>
>> But functional. It also stopped any local scrotes from hotwireing it.
>> And a Big Red engine start button was quite cool
>>

> I thought scrotes was a termed only used down in this part os the world.
> When the lovely locals tried to screwdriver the driver's lock on my old
> 33, wank-stain was I believe was the term used.

Sounds a fair description
> Good to see abuse is international :-)

Indeed