fuel gauge and odometer problem on 95M3

Old March 2nd 05, 06:00 AM
David

Default fuel gauge and odometer problem on 95M3

When I refilled the gas on my 95 M3 the fuel gauge didn't reset but
instead continued to work its way down the last 1/4 inch to the end.
The computer likewise counted down the miles until I get Range ---

About 4 days later the odometer failed. By that I mean the light
behind the readout went out. If I shine a flashlight in I can see its
still counting miles.

Any chance these two problems are related? We just had a long rainy
spell here in California. Could some water have gotten in somewhere.

From reading this group I think the fuel gage problem is the sender
and if I pull itoout and clean the contacts I might get it to work. If
not I can replace the sender.

What do I have to do to fix the odometer light?

Thanks

David
Old March 6th 05, 05:56 AM
Randy Crawford

David wrote:
> When I refilled the gas on my 95 M3 the fuel gauge didn't reset but
> instead continued to work its way down the last 1/4 inch to the end.
> The computer likewise counted down the miles until I get Range ---
>

> About 4 days later the odometer failed. By that I mean the light
> behind the readout went out. If I shine a flashlight in I can see its
> still counting miles.
>
> Any chance these two problems are related? We just had a long rainy
> spell here in California. Could some water have gotten in somewhere.

In my opinion, it's a one-in-a-million chance that they're related.

I agree that the fuel problem sounds like the sender, which is in the
tank. The backlight is almost certainly a burnde out bulb or LED. If
it's the latter, it's probably not a do-it-yourself fix. Generally
burned out LEDs cost a ton, since for GOD-KNOWS-WHAT-REASON, BMW has
designed the dash so that their LEDs can't be replaced individually.
From what I've been told after several of my speedo/tach LEDs burned
out, you have to replace them all.

If I ever own a garage again, I expect to tear out the instruments
myself and try to replace the LEDs myself. I've done this on other
electronics and it's not that hard. Just make sure you orient it with
the right polarity, since it's 50/50 for inserting each LED backwards.
(It's a diode, remember.)

> From reading this group I think the fuel gage problem is the sender
> and if I pull itoout and clean the contacts I might get it to work. If
> not I can replace the sender.
>
> What do I have to do to fix the odometer light?

Check out a shop manual. Sorry I can't help; mine is in storage. Of
course, it's always wise to first check whether a fuse is blown...

Randy

--
Randy Crawford http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand rand AT rice DOT edu