1993 jeep grand cherokee - abs brake system

Old July 2nd 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jerry

Default 1993 jeep grand cherokee - abs brake system

I have an old 1993 jeep cherokee. Can and advise me on the possibility
of having a mechanic remove the abs system on my jeep? or disconnect
it? It seems very expensive to replace parts (main part about 2,000)
and does not work on my vehicle (i think). I have complely new brake
drums, rotors and pads and was wondering if the vehicle would be safe
if the abs was just disabled in some way?

The Jeep shudders when coming to a slower speed when braking . sway
bay system new. If i disconnected it perhaps i could at least
trobleshoot it that way and see if that is what it is? any advise
would be appreciated or the proper group to post this question to if
this is off topic? thanks.

Old July 2nd 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

jerry wrote:

> I have an old 1993 jeep cherokee. Can and advise me on the possibility
> of having a mechanic remove the abs system on my jeep? or disconnect
> it? It seems very expensive to replace parts (main part about 2,000)
> and does not work on my vehicle (i think). I have complely new brake
> drums, rotors and pads and was wondering if the vehicle would be safe
> if the abs was just disabled in some way?
>
> The Jeep shudders when coming to a slower speed when braking . sway
> bay system new. If i disconnected it perhaps i could at least
> trobleshoot it that way and see if that is what it is? any advise
> would be appreciated or the proper group to post this question to if
> this is off topic? thanks.

Simply find and remove the ABS fuse - that will make your brakes behave
just as if there were no ABS on it. My state (VA) does not include the
ABS light in their inspections, so you wouldn't fail inspection for the
ABS light being on - if the light bothered you (it would me) you could
disable the dash light and still pass inspection. Not sure about other
states.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 3rd 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jerry

On Jul 2, 12:31 pm, Bill Putney > wrote:
> jerry wrote:
> > I have an old 1993 jeep cherokee. Can and advise me on the possibility
> > of having a mechanic remove the abs system on my jeep? or disconnect
> > it? It seems very expensive to replace parts (main part about 2,000)
> > and does not work on my vehicle (i think). I have complely new brake
> > drums, rotors and pads and was wondering if the vehicle would be safe
> > if the abs was just disabled in some way?

> > The Jeep shudders when coming to a slower speed when braking . sway
> > bay system new. If i disconnected it perhaps i could at least
> > trobleshoot it that way and see if that is what it is? any advise
> > would be appreciated or the proper group to post this question to if
> > this is off topic? thanks.

> Simply find and remove the ABS fuse - that will make your brakes behave
> just as if there were no ABS on it. My state (VA) does not include the
> ABS light in their inspections, so you wouldn't fail inspection for the
> ABS light being on - if the light bothered you (it would me) you could
> disable the dash light and still pass inspection. Not sure about other
> states.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Hi Bill, thanks a lot for the idea. I pulled the main 3 amp fuse and
the Abs light
came on but the shuddering at low speed when braking did not stop- i
put it back
and the same- was another shared fuse and a relay but i left them
alone. I'm about
ready to pull my hair out on this. :-) putting new shocks on tomorrow
and then
try dealing with the steering? it does have very loose steering and at
the least
needs adjusting. I also put new motor mounts on last week.

This jeep was stolen by a bunch kids and trashed in the desert so it
could be
anything? I just don't know. thanks for the help. Jerry

Old July 3rd 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

jerry wrote:

> On Jul 2, 12:31 pm, Bill Putney > wrote:
>
>>jerry wrote:
>>
>>>I have an old 1993 jeep cherokee. Can and advise me on the possibility
>>>of having a mechanic remove the abs system on my jeep? or disconnect
>>>it? It seems very expensive to replace parts (main part about 2,000)
>>>and does not work on my vehicle (i think). I have complely new brake
>>>drums, rotors and pads and was wondering if the vehicle would be safe
>>>if the abs was just disabled in some way?

>>>The Jeep shudders when coming to a slower speed when braking . sway
>>>bay system new. If i disconnected it perhaps i could at least
>>>trobleshoot it that way and see if that is what it is? any advise
>>>would be appreciated or the proper group to post this question to if
>>>this is off topic? thanks.

>>Simply find and remove the ABS fuse - that will make your brakes behave
>>just as if there were no ABS on it. My state (VA) does not include the
>>ABS light in their inspections, so you wouldn't fail inspection for the
>>ABS light being on - if the light bothered you (it would me) you could
>>disable the dash light and still pass inspection. Not sure about other
>>states.
>>
>>Bill Putney
>>(To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>>address with the letter 'x')

> Hi Bill, thanks a lot for the idea. I pulled the main 3 amp fuse and
> the Abs light
> came on but the shuddering at low speed when braking did not stop- i
> put it back
> and the same- was another shared fuse and a relay but i left them
> alone. I'm about
> ready to pull my hair out on this. :-) putting new shocks on tomorrow
> and then
> try dealing with the steering? it does have very loose steering and at
> the least
> needs adjusting. I also put new motor mounts on last week.
>
> This jeep was stolen by a bunch kids and trashed in the desert so it
> could be
> anything? I just don't know. thanks for the help. Jerry

You're welcome. I hope you find the problem. Check all steering and
suspension parts (tie rods, control arms, bushings, steering gear, etc.)

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Old scan reposts (mostly bad) 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Grand Wagoneer White Frt Qtr.jpg (Easynews) 249470 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 December 6th 06 01:44 PM
1993 jeep cherokee Grand Theft Auto [email protected] Jeep 4 November 14th 06 04:07 PM
Need Help with Charging System Problems for 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee fredr1980 Technology 3 January 28th 06 06:04 PM
Need Help with Charging System Problems for 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee [email protected] 4x4 2 January 28th 06 02:40 PM
95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo cooling system birdshere 4x4 2 November 23rd 05 05:23 PM