Evaluating a Used Car - DipStick (Oil) Reading

Old May 26th 07, 08:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Evaluating a Used Car - DipStick (Oil) Reading

> Well, the original oil was very dark and smelled a bit like gasoline.
> The fresh oil was very clear, a bit yellow, and had little scent. The
> oil that had been in the crankcase for 15 miles looked about half as
> dark as the original oil and also smelled a bit like gasoline.
>
> Does this mean anything of significance? I think the previous owner(s)
> ran the car beyond the recommended service intervals (oil & filter
> change) and I believe the fresh oil, with its detergents, is cleaning
> up deposits on engine surfaces.

The gas smell in the oil means, it as faulty injector. It explaines
why you have dark coloured oil.

you donot need to have significant blown by gas.

Old June 29th 07, 05:44 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
HKEK

I bought the van and the oil is cleaning up.

Upon getting it home, I put a better oil filter on (Pure One) and
replaced one quart of oil with an additive (Rislone) which further
increases the detergent effect of the oil. I changed the oil after
only 600 miles. I kept a sample of the oil and it looked better than
the first oil change did after only 50 miles.

I have now driven the van about 1500 miles after the last oil change
and the oil looks pretty good. I will change it again at about 3000
miles or so and then get back to a 5000 mile service interval. I have
just passed 60,000 miles and am running the High Mileage oil formula
of Castrol GTX and will continue with the smaller micron rated
Purolator filter.

Evaluating a Used Car - DipStick (Oil) Reading HKEK Technology 25 June 29th 07 05:44 AM
your help in evaluating whether to keep 1990 525i Notgiven BMW 11 February 27th 06 07:22 PM
Dipstick for ZC? Elle Honda 0 September 1st 05 04:10 PM
E46 Where's the dipstick... sgfan3 BMW 11 July 25th 05 04:40 PM
Reading the dipstick Treeline Chrysler 5 April 20th 05 11:13 PM