Amsoil

Old February 18th 07, 11:42 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
bernsax

Default Amsoil

Would any of you out there run Amsoil either 25,000 miles or one year as
advertised.

I have a 2.7 engine

Old February 18th 07, 11:47 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:42:02 -0500, "bernsax" >
wrote:

>Would any of you out there run Amsoil either 25,000 miles or one year as
>advertised.
>
>I have a 2.7 engine

No bloody way, particularly on a 2.7 Mopar. I don't care WHAT brand of
oil, or other lubricant you are talking about.

Old February 19th 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
daytripper

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:42:02 -0500, "bernsax" > wrote:

>Would any of you out there run Amsoil either 25,000 miles or one year as
>advertised.
>
>I have a 2.7 engine

It isn't a matter of how long the oil will "last", it's a matter of how much
crap builds up in the oil. 25000 miles of spinning a motor in a soup full of
crap is bad, no matter how good the oil.

I wouldn't push *any* oil past 7500 miles, even full synthetic...
Old February 19th 07, 10:15 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tony D.

bernsax wrote:
> Would any of you out there run Amsoil either 25,000 miles or one year as
> advertised.
>
> I have a 2.7 engine

Amsoil is basically advertizing hype. The BRAND of what you put in
matters very little. It is the SPECIFICATIONS that are important. Most
people only think in terms of viscosity, but that is not the most
important thing, the spec is. The 2.7 requires oils with large amounts
of high shear additive. There are very few oils with this spec. Many are
"Euro formula" because many European engines use metal timing gears and
chains. Use what the mfg recommends. There is a new Mobil line designed
for this engine type.
Old February 19th 07, 10:33 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
mrdancer[_2_]

"bernsax" wrote in message...
> Would any of you out there run Amsoil either 25,000 miles or one year as
> advertised.

I ran Amsoil 0w30 in my Dakota from 70k miles up until 167k miles when I
sold the truck. Truck burned a quart of oil every 3k miles when I switched
over to the synth... after a while it burned a quart every 5k. I changed
the oil about every 20k (once/yr) and changed the filter 2x/yr. When I sold
the truck, it was still burning a quart every 5k with 167k on the odometer.
Either that oil was pretty good, or it was a testament to how good
Chrysler's 318 V8 engine is. I was running that 0w30 in West Texas heat
(over 100 degrees).

If you do run synth, don't run cheap synth. Use the good stuff, like Mobil
1, Amsoil, Royal Purple. They have the correct balance of additives to keep
seals from shrinking or swelling. The bad thing about Amsoil is you can't
get it just anywhere, so you have to keep a few extra quarts on hand in case
you run a quart low on the engine, etc. Amsoil is very good stuff, but
you'd think it was snake oil the way they have there sales scheme put
together. I quit using it just because of that very reason.

Old February 21st 07, 03:40 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Me[_4_]

bernsax wrote:
> Would any of you out there run Amsoil either 25,000 miles or one year as
> advertised.
>
> I have a 2.7 engine

From personal experience I suggest you use Mobile 1 and not Amsoil. I
have a Stratus 2.5L V6 with over 133000 miles on it and it uses less
than half a quart of oil per change. I started using Mobile 1 at about
36000 miles and have changed the oil and filter every 10000. For me the
purpose of using synthetic oil is not to save money on oil changes, but
to save money on engines repairs by prolonging its life.