Stratus Transmission

Old April 9th 07, 02:37 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
bernsax

Default Stratus Transmission

I just read Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue and saw a black circle next
to the transmission of a 2004 Dodge Stratus. Of course that means the
transmission is a trouble area on this particular vehicle.

I read the maintanence schedule and it says to change the transmission
fluid at 60,000 miles or within 5 years.

Should I have the fluid flushed and replaced before the recommended
interval avoid to possible future problems? The car has 33,000 miles on
it.

Has anyone on this board had good or bad luck with the Stratus
transmission? Any advice???

Also, the major engine problems (2.7)are rated above normal with a red
circle but the minor engine problems are rated below normal with the old
black dot. I wonder what they consider minor?

Old April 9th 07, 02:38 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
miles

bernsax wrote:
> I just read Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue and saw a black circle next
> to the transmission of a 2004 Dodge Stratus. Of course that means the
> transmission is a trouble area on this particular vehicle.

If well maintained the transmission will last without troubles.

> I read the maintanence schedule and it says to change the transmission
> fluid at 60,000 miles or within 5 years.

Thats typical but for the cost of servicing its well worth it to change
the fluid more often. It just doesn't cost enough to wait so long. I
change mine every 20,000 miles. Never had any troubles at all on any of
my Dodges.

> Should I have the fluid flushed and replaced before the recommended
> interval avoid to possible future problems? The car has 33,000 miles on
> it.

Yes, 60,000 miles is way too long and the only reason not to change it
is to save a little money. Not worth it. Have it flushed and then at
50,000 miles have the pan dropped and filter replaced (Only 1/3-1/2 the
fluid will be changed at that time). Then flush again at 70-75,000.

The majority of problems I know of are from owners who wait too long to
change the fluid. Those that change it early seem to have far fewer
problems.

Don't have a quick lube place change it. Go to a Dodge dealer or to a
top notch independent shop that works on Dodges. They must use ATF+4
fluid and not some other fluid with an additive.
Old April 9th 07, 09:53 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
jcr

bernsax wrote:
> I just read Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue and saw a black circle next
> to the transmission of a 2004 Dodge Stratus. Of course that means the
> transmission is a trouble area on this particular vehicle.
>
> I read the maintanence schedule and it says to change the transmission
> fluid at 60,000 miles or within 5 years.
>
> Should I have the fluid flushed and replaced before the recommended
> interval avoid to possible future problems? The car has 33,000 miles on
> it.
>
> Has anyone on this board had good or bad luck with the Stratus
> transmission? Any advice???
>
> Also, the major engine problems (2.7)are rated above normal with a red
> circle but the minor engine problems are rated below normal with the old
> black dot. I wonder what they consider minor?

I have the transmission service done every 20K-30K miles by a reputable
shop.

Use synthetic (or synthetic blend) oil and the 2.7 engine will be fine.